Ok I'm a believer now in Arctic Silver 5... :)

lljh

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2004
So I built my pc last month (specs below) and use both Core Temp and Intel TAT to measure my temps. With stock HSF at 100% I was getting about 43-44c idle. I bought the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro but had problems installing it which broke apart the MX1 paste that came with it. I went to Best Buy and bought some Dynex Silver Thermal Paste and used that with the ACF7. I was getting nice temps 36-37c with my Freezer Pro on 50% fan speed.

I decided to give AS5 a shot so I bought some on Newegg and did the whole routine on Monday (cleaned of HSF, cleaned chip, applied the line across the heat spreader, rubbed a small bit into the HSF with a coffee filter). I noticed that the AS5 is 'stickier' than the generic paste I bought at Best Buy.

At first, my temps were pretty much the same at idle, maybe 1 degree cooler at 35 to 36. I followed the instructions though and turned off my PC before leaving for work in the morning (back on when I got home until the following morning). My temps seemed to drop 1c per night on average. 5 nights later, I woke up today and my idle temps were 31c on both cores. Maybe it will keep going down... :)

I'm a believer now in the AS5 over generic paste. I think it's time to start my overclocking.

Evga 680i MB
E6600 @ at stock
Geforce 8800 GTS
2GB OCZ Platinum Rev 2.0 @ stock
160GB Sata 2.0 WD HD
Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro (50% until 51c, then 100%)
Raidmax Case
Windows XP Media Center Edition

antikristuseke

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
From whati can remember from AS5 is that the curing time for it is about 5 days so i doubt your temps keep droping any further, but havent used AS5 in a while, using Coollabs Liquid Pro instead. 10x more difficult to apply but in my eyes its worth it.