WUS and Group Policy

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone else has installed and used WUS? I have
installed it and am having some errors with my clients not installing
due to permissions SUS worked great. I was wondering if anyone had any
tips. As it is in Beta the Support is limited.

Thanks

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-WUS-ftopict276427.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=877056
4 answers Last reply
More about group policy
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

    lforbes <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> said

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am wondering if anyone else has installed and used WUS? I have
    > installed it and am having some errors with my clients not installing
    > due to permissions SUS worked great. I was wondering if anyone had any
    > tips. As it is in Beta the Support is limited.

    Hi Lara,
    I haven't used it but you might more answers from
    microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs.

    I've x-posted your message there for you.

    --

    Andy.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

    "Andrew Mitchell" wrote:
    > lforbes <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> said
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am wondering if anyone else has installed and used WUS? I
    > have
    > > installed it and am having some errors with my clients not
    > installing
    > > due to permissions SUS worked great. I was wondering if
    > anyone had any
    > > tips. As it is in Beta the Support is limited.
    > >

    > Hi Lara,
    > I haven't used it but you might more answers from
    > microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs.
    >
    > I've x-posted your message there for you.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Andy.

    Hi,

    Actually I am on the MS board for the Beta WUS but there doesn’t seem
    to be the answer I am looking for. Apparentely lots of people are
    having problems with the issue of permissions.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-WUS-ftopict276427.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1077239
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

    lforbes <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> said

    > Hi,
    >
    > Actually I am on the MS board for the Beta WUS but there doesn’t seem
    > to be the answer I am looking for. Apparentely lots of people are
    > having problems with the issue of permissions.

    Which persmissions - GPO permissions, permissions on the MSI package location
    or permissions to install the package on the local PC?

    --

    Andy.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs (More info?)

    "Andrew Mitchell" wrote:
    > lforbes <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> said
    >

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Actually I am on the MS board for the Beta WUS but there
    > doesn’t seem
    > > to be the answer I am looking for. Apparentely lots of
    > people are
    > > having problems with the issue of permissions.
    >
    > Which persmissions - GPO permissions, permissions on the MSI
    > package location
    > or permissions to install the package on the local PC?
    >

    > --
    >
    > Andy.

    Hi,

    Well, for starters, the Network Service needs Read Access to the Root
    of the drive WUS is installed on or it can’t read the drive to
    download updates from MS website. This isn’t installed by default. I
    just lucked into it by doing it and it fixed the problem.

    To fix the recent problem I just posted, what I did was give the
    Domain Computers Group read access to the WUS server Content Directory
    otherwise they cannot download the updates. This is what I had to do
    to get Software Installation to work and luckily it fixed things in
    this case.

    Now WUS is working wonderfully. I guess they are going to have to do
    some patch work.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-WUS-ftopict276427.html