Budget Gaming PC Guide

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
The Goal: To build a machine with maximum performance and minimum price. This PC build only includes the tower and everything in it. No peripherals or software included. The idea behind the parts I chose is a fairly basic idea, the one year machine. This is the kind of build you buy once a year, so the price is low, and peripherals aren't always replaced. Some times you can save certain hardware for an upgrade, but usually you'll need to buy new next year (Quad cores, DDR3, 2nd gen DX10 cards, etc...) if you want a near top-of-the-line machine. This machine aims for max quality in all games at 1280x1024 at the absolute lowest price.

CASE
CoolerMaster Centurion 5
$39.99 after $10.00 MIR
Summary: In building a budget gaming PC, you need to spend money where it counts. The case isn't one of them. That doesn't mean you need a plain beige box either. The Centurion 5 isn't exactly the best case you can find, but for 30$, it looks sharp, and has very good airflow, due to the front mesh, and rear 120mm fan. Installation is easy, and almost completely tooless, also if you are a fan of windows, their is an available model with just that
Why not spend more?: Well, that might be a good idea actually. It's all based on your needs. If you don't go out on LAN parties, or what not, and your PC just sits underneath your desk, then there is no need for something extravagant. You might want something with better build quality, or thermal properties, such as an aluminum case. While all those things sound nice, it costs money, and your case doesn't effect the performance of your components.
Why not spend less?: The 10$ special cases are cheap, flimsy, and are just pure garbage. They wont last, and it makes your PC look cheap, and most likely it will either be really loud, or really hot. Maybe both.

POWER SUPPLY
FSP Blue Storm II 500watt
$76.99 after $10.00 MIR
Summary: The power supply is the last place anyone should try to save a few bucks on, but this is a budget build, so we have to look for best reliability:price ratio, and this power supply fits the bill. It can deliver it's 500watts without failure, it's efficiency also sits around 78%, which is considerably high for it's price. It can, unlike most budget power supplies, deliver it's rated wattage. This PSU will have plenty of power for our needs, and leaves some room for future upgrades as well.
Why not spend more?: In fact, I encourage it. The power supply is something you really shouldn't be cheap on. Seasonic and Corsair (re-branded Seasonic PSUs) are excellent choices if you have an extra 50$ to spend.
Why not spend less?: Again, this is one component you don't want to be cheap on. Spending much less on a power supply wont guarentee problems, but it will increase the chances of something going wrong. I rather be safe then sorry.

MOTHERBOARD
Gigabyte 965P-DS3 V1.3
$99.99
Summary: The Gigabyte 965P motherboards are legendary for their overclocking. Of course Intel's 965P chipset is fast and stable. This is the perfect choice with overclocking in mind.
Why not spend more?: Sure, crossfire or SLI, heatpipes, 8SATA ports, dual gigabit ethernet, and other extravagant extras sound nice, but how often will you really use them? And these features come at a high price tag, where a top of the line motherboard now costs up to 300$.
Why not spend less?: There isn't many P965 or 650i motherboards that are much cheaper then this guy, and by no means should you ever buy an older chipset. The P965 is tried and true, and it's still one of the most advanced chipsets around.

PROCESSOR
Intel Core2Duo E4300
$114.50
Summary: This CPU is an obvious choice. With a little bit of overclocking, hitting 3.0ghz can be done. With that kind of CPU power, this computer will be lightning fast, plus clock cycles to spare.
Why not spend more?: If overclocking, the E4300 can out perform almost any stock processor, and the extra overclocking potential other conroe CPUs might have, it's not worth the extra 100s of dollars needed. Your better off getting a good HSF.
Why not spend less?: Easy, there is nothing that can compete with this processors performance per dollar. This thing is a monster, and I don't recommend saving money on the CPU.

MEMORY
SuperTalent DDR2 2x1024MB 667MHZ C5
$73.99
Summary: This memory is affordable, and stable. Even though this memory doesn't have the fastest clock speed or tightest timings, it is still more then enough for this system. Even if you decide to overclock, hitting 3ghz on the CPU wont even touch this memory (333x9=3ghz cpu 333x2=667mhz memory). But if you do decide to overclock this system even farther, I've heard this memory can go up and beyond 800mhz.
Why not spend more?: Memory performance is mostly derived from the amount of memory. The clock speed or timings of memory are important, but only give small percentage increase of performance.
Why not spend less?: With Windows Vista, and games like Rainbow Six Vegas, FEAR, STALKER - Shadow of Chernobyl, absolutely must have more then 1GB of memory at high quality. Spending less here will cripple the system, especially this PCs longevity without upgrading.

VIDEO CARD
eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
$269.99 after $20.00 MIR
Summary: The 8800GTS 320MB is on fast card. You should be able to handle any game at 1280x1024, max quality settings. This beast does take in allot of power, and generates quite a bit of heat. But for 260$, you will be getting allot of power.
Why not spend more?: The only reason you might want a better videocard is if you run higher resolutions. If your run 1680x1050 or 1600x1200, then an 8800GTS 640MB would be more appropriate, as those resolutions eat up videomemory quick, and once the 8800GTS 320MB runs out of memory, frames start to drop fast. If you run at 1920x1200, or larger, then your reading the wrong build guide :p
Why not spend less?: If you need to save more money, this is one place that is possible. Or if you want to wait until DX10 becomes more mainstream, then maybe the Sapphire X1950XT at $179.99 after $20.00 MIR would be a better option if you want to wait. If you need to save even more money, the eVGA 7900GS would be a better option for $129.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate. But the 7900gs will have trouble most new games at max quality even at 1024x768. If you decide to save money, and get the 7900gs, you could also save money on the power supply. The 7900gs uses very little power in comparison to the x1950xt and 8800gts.

HARD DRIVE
Seagate 7200.10 320GB
$79.99
Summary: Not much to talk about when it comes to Hard Drives. It's got all the latest technologies, runs fast and quiet. And at 25 cents per gigabyte, it's one hell of a deal. Comes with a warranty that is longer then most, 5 years.

MEDIA DRIVE
LG DVD Burner
$28.99
Summary: It's a DVD burner. Thats about all there is to say.

Total: ~$711.00 after $40.00 MIR (taxes and shipping not included)

akhilles

Splendid
This is my recommended budget gaming rig for anyone who is looking. It's almost the same as yours with a different video, harddisk & case.

Intel C2D E4300 $179
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 $109
Cosair DDR2-675 2x512MB TWIN2X1024-5400C4 $100
eVGA 7600GT 256-P2-N550 -T2 $120
Seagate 7200.10 250GB SATAII ST3250820AS $75
LG 18x DVD burner GSA-H42N-BK $30
Rosewill Mid Tower R604-P BK $30
FSP 450W AX450-PN $54

Total $697 US before tax, shipping & rebates

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
with the coming of dx 10, well one side already being out, the x1900xt will last much longer then the 7600gt, some things u shoudlnt cut bak in

LabaR

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
I personally don't think the 7600GT is a bad buy right now, especially for a budget PC gamer like myself. My mind set right now is going with a 7600GT for right now and then in a year upgrade to a DX10 card. If I wasn't planning oing wanting to upgrade to DX10 in the next year or so then yeah I defidently would go with the 200 dollar card recommended

Gundam1s

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
I believe that buying a 1GB stick of ram would be a better choice.
My cousin recently bought 2X512 sticks of corsair and that only left him the option of upgrading to 2GBs total, which he did and now regrets because of the release of VISTA.

List of GB sticks
You can find some around the same price as the corsairs listed above.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
I realize DX10 is around the corner, but the 7600gt struggles with too many games. In fact, most new games can't be run with the 7600gt at 1024x768 max quality:
NFS Carbon
Gothic 3
Oblivion
Age of Empires 3
Rainbow Six Vegas

I believe it's worth the extra 80$. Keep in mind this is a gaming machine on a budget, so getting the most possible frame rates from little money is our goal here.

Let me put it this way, spend 680$ and get a gaming machine that will get you by, or, spend 730$ and get 50-100% better performance.

And looking at the previous generations of videocards, the current gen mid-range card is usually about as fast as last gen top-end videocard:
ti4600-9600pro
9800pro-6600gt
x850xt pe-7600gt
x1950xtx-8600ultra?
(I said about, I realize that most of these cards don't line up perfectly in terms of performance)
With that in mind, an x1900xt will perform about the same as a DX10 midrange card. And since no one should use a new Microsoft OS from day 1, buying a DX9 card is fine. Besides, it's not like you can't run Vista and game. And most games coming out that support DX10, will support DX9L so you can play Crysis and the such if you don't decide to get a DX10 card right away.

LabaR

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
is the 450 watt power supply enough for the next gen or two of video cards....for those not planning on SLi

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
is the 450 watt power supply enough for the next gen or two of video cards....for those not planning on SLi
It's hard to be sure, but my guess would be yes. While it might not be able to handle the high-end, it should be able to muscle it's way through 8600, x2600 series, and higher. I heard that the next gen (9800 (LOL) and x3800 series) will probably use less power then now. They will probably focus on cutting down energy while still delivering high performance (multicore GPUs?)

sanjiwatsuki

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
Case & PSU:
Cooler Master Centurion 534 $49.99
While I believe case is probably one of the most difficult pieces to pick out for this build, I firmly believe this Cooler Master Centurion case doesn't get any better for the price. Cooler Master cases are easy to work with, they have very decent build quality for the price. And for the most part, they overall have a more professional look then some of those other 'cheap' gaming cases. This case is also virtually toolless, and is a joy to work with. Also, while you could easily spend 10$ on the cheapest case possible, it just defeats the purpose of spending a good amount of money on the inside components. Anyone who looks at the beige 'extreme performance' case is just going to think you got the 300$ special.

Good ventilation & it'll be a good case. Nice choice. I think Rosewill has some cheap rebadged Antecs with free shipping right now. That shipping cost makes it a nice deal.

&
FSP Group 450watt AX450-PN $49.99
As a countless number of people get told again and again, the power supply is probably one of the most important components inside your computer, powering all your expensive hardware. While a quality power supply is mandatory, you don't need to spend 100$ to get one. FSP (or Fortron) just make amazing PSUs. They are very affordable, they're stable, and best of all, you wont have any problems powering your system.
OR
Antec Sonata II w/ 450watt SmartPower 2.0 $99.99
While the PSU unit in this combo isn't as strong as the FSP, it will still be plenty for the current build, however it might not be enough for some future DX10 cards. And since cases is more of a subjective look, I can't really say if this is a better looking case then the CoolerMaster. If you really favor the Sonata II, and your willing to lose some power, then this is still a strong choice.

For a good "on paper" PSU e-Power has a PSU that is gaining interest. It is 550w with dual 12v rails and 20a on each rail. ePOWER ZU-550W ATX12V Version 2.0 / EPS12V 550W Power Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101021)

How good is it, really? I'm not sure.

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 $107.99
I already know everyone has a different opinion to what motherboard they should use, since it is the backbone of any system. Biostar and Foxconn both have excellent P965 boards, but considering the cost, and the maturity of this board, this board is just perfect.

No objections here. This is a solid MB for the price.

Processor:
Intel Core2Duo E4300 $169.00
High multiplier, low FSB, overclock central! And while this CPU is only a few dollars less then it's conroe counterpart, the price will get lower, and this will only become a better deal over time.

Memory:
Corsair DDR2-667 1x1024MB $69.99
I can already hear them yelling and screaming at their monitors: "No you idiot! 2GB of memory." While I tend to agree, this is a budget build, and keeping prices low is my goal here. Remember, when getting more memory, it's not like you have to throw this memory out, just another 1GB down the road, and you'll have your 2GB of memory. And for the most part, 1GB of memory is enough for most people for now. And even when you decide to move on over to Vista, you'll still have the capacity to upgrade to 4GB of memory!

Videocard
Sapphire X1950xt $219.99
OR
Sapphire X1950pro $164.99
OR
eVGA 7900gs ko $159.99 (-$15.00 MIR)
First, the x1950xt is probably the best valued card here. That card will be able to handle almost any game at 1280x1024 max quality. The x1950pro is a faster card then the 7900gs at stock speeds, but overclocking the x1950pro just doesn't shine. Considering with the MIR the 7900gs is 20$ cheaper, plus with a little bit of overclock can perform just as well. With the 7600gt only saving you about 40$ over the 7900gs, it's just not worth it.

If the MB had SLI I'd ask about 7300 GT GDDR3 overclocking SLI.

Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB $89.99
Seagate hard drives are quiet, and fast. There isn't really much to talk about when it comes to internal storage at this budget, so, on to the next part!

Optical Drive
LG 18x DVD-/+ burner $28.99
Once again this isn't a popular conversation piece when it comes to hardware.

* This guide is NOT finished, I will want to hear from you guys on your opinions and suggestions! I want to make this a reliable reference for anyone buying a gaming computer on a tight budget. I will also be adding alternative hardware choices for certain components, and (hopefully) benchmarks one day! Thanks.

Looks pretty good right now.

Although FSP is excellent, I would consider this unit if you are looking to shave $20 off the top

HIPRO HP-E4009F5WR ATX V2.0 True 400W $29.99 ($37.11 shipped) @ newegg

This is the same unit the Cooler Master eXtreme Power 430W RS-430-PCAR is based from (without the cooler master price & bloated 430w rating) and it has gotten good results.

RS-430-PCAR review, Jonnyguru[/url]"]The load tester does not lie!! This power supply is solid all of the way up to 430W and then some. I was most impressed with the efficiency. It even passed the crossload tests, which were performed with the rails above label spec! Not bad at all!

If you’re aesthetics aren’t high on your priority list, you don’t need a lot of connectors and you don’t need active PFC, this PSU is perfect for any non-SLI user on a budget. This PSU is efficient, quiet and fairly stable.

I have used this unit in several budget builds it is arguably the best watt-per-dollar unit on the market at that price.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Although FSP is excellent, I would consider this unit if you are looking to shave $20 off the top

HIPRO HP-E4009F5WR ATX V2.0 True 400W $29.99 ($37.11 shipped) @ newegg

This is the same unit the Cooler Master eXtreme Power 430W RS-430-PCAR is based from (without the cooler master price & bloated 430w rating) and it has gotten good results.

RS-430-PCAR review, Jonnyguru[/url]"]The load tester does not lie!! This power supply is solid all of the way up to 430W and then some. I was most impressed with the efficiency. It even passed the crossload tests, which were performed with the rails above label spec! Not bad at all!

If you’re aesthetics aren’t high on your priority list, you don’t need a lot of connectors and you don’t need active PFC, this PSU is perfect for any non-SLI user on a budget. This PSU is efficient, quiet and fairly stable.

I have used this unit in several budget builds it is arguably the best watt-per-dollar unit on the market at that price.

Thanks for your input, but that power supply looks a little bit on the weak side. It don't know exactly how many amps it can do on the 12v rail, but it's less then 20. Thats not enough for an x1950xt and an overclocked E4300. The FSP I originally picked out, is about 30amps max between it's dual 12v rails.

you need to check out jonnyguru's load tests I think you missed the link in the quote above...

+12v@28A/336w & 93W on the 3.3v/5v for a total of 429w
+12v@32A/384w & 33W on the 3.3v/5v for a total of 417w

All within 5% tolerance. I am probably going to use mine for a dedicated GPU PSU when I do my DX10 dual PSU mod it has been a while.

edit:

RS-430-PCAR review, Jonnyguru[/url]"]Breaking this down, we see we actually have a total of 29A we can put on the combined 12’s. Not bad for a $50 430W, IF it can actually do what it claims.
Apparently it did and then some 8)

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
you need to check out jonnyguru's load tests I think you missed the link in the quote above...

+12v@28A/336w & 93W on the 3.3v/5v for a total of 429w
+12v@32A/384w & 33W on the 3.3v/5v for a total of 417w

All within 5% tolerance. I am probably going to use mine for a dedicated GPU PSU when I do my DX10 dual PSU mod it has been a while.

edit:

RS-430-PCAR review, Jonnyguru[/url]"]Breaking this down, we see we actually have a total of 29A we can put on the combined 12’s. Not bad for a $50 430W, IF it can actually do what it claims.
Apparently it did and then some 8)

My bad, after a little more research, that power supply actually looks like a good performer. I'll want to do a little more research yet before I'm confident to recommend it.

I wish to here from anyone else who has opinions and/or suggestions about this build. Maybe even some strong points or weakness to the hardware I chose. All input is appreciated.

MEGAWATTZ2000

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Check the siggy .. :wink:

I was lucky to get everything for just about $700.00 .. ha! ..
I already had a harddisk, case, powersupply, lcd, etc. from my last computer ...

Was actually cheaper than $700 when you think about it ..
Always good to see those few who have the right idea to save money yet build a very powerful pc that can run with the more expensives ones ...

Keep saving .. 8)

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
with the coming of dx 10, well one side already being out, the x1900xt will last much longer then the 7600gt, some things u shoudlnt cut bak in
The X1900XT doesn't support Direct X10... but yeah it is definitely a better card under Direct X9.

Mondoman

Splendid
I'd switch the RAM to a higher-quality "value" brand, like Kinston's ValueRAM. Although Corsair is tops for its premium RAM, it's bottom of the barrel for its ValueSelect.

PS - You might also consider going with 2x512MB for this budget build. That should save about $70 that can go to the graphics card and/or PS. This also leaves a nice future upgrade route to 3GB total RAM by adding on 2x1GB. Since 32-bit OS's can't address more than about 3GB, there's no point in allowing for more, except for those people who are using 64-bit OS's.

gloppppp

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
:) Agreed,Kingston Value RAM good choice,amazing warranty also,module goes bad and you ship out the old one and receive new one in 4 business days or less all paid for (there and back)by Kingston.

f1nal_0men

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Check the siggy .. :wink:

I was lucky to get everything for just about $700.00 .. ha! ..
I already had a harddisk, case, powersupply, lcd, etc. from my last computer ...

Was actually cheaper than $700 when you think about it ..
Always good to see those few who have the right idea to save money yet build a very powerful pc that can run with the more expensives ones ...

Keep saving .. 8)

Well, the build I listed, with no case, PSU, HDD, and peripherals, only costs 609$. Switch that out for an eVGA 8800GTS 320MB, total comes up to 679$. So it's under 700$, and has 2GB ram, compared to your 1GB. Thanks for the input though :p.

I'd switch the RAM to a higher-quality "value" brand, like Kinston's ValueRAM. Although Corsair is tops for its premium RAM, it's bottom of the barrel for its ValueSelect.

PS - You might also consider going with 2x512MB for this budget build. That should save about $70 that can go to the graphics card and/or PS. This also leaves a nice future upgrade route to 3GB total RAM by adding on 2x1GB. Since 32-bit OS's can't address more than about 3GB, there's no point in allowing for more, except for those people who are using 64-bit OS's.

Thanks for the input, you too glopppp. Again, I did a little bit of my own research, and I seem to agree. Kingston stuff looks good, and it lowers the total under 800$!!!!

I disagree with 1GB over 2GB. Yes, it saves some 60$, but 2GB is becoming the minimum. If S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl is any indication, that game absolute must have 1.5GB of RAM or it's not playable (at high quality). Games aren't going to start using less memory either. And don't even think about going into Vista with only 1GB as well. This build aims for best price:performance ratio, and you lose too much performance for only 60$.

wiz83

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
ChiefMax FTW ... LMAO ... Seriously, I'm using a ChiefMax 650W for 4 months now, and it hasn't failed. I'm looking forward to the day it fails, but apparently it hasn't ... :p

decripple

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16811119106
COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP
$49.99
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028
RAIDMAX Hybrid 2 RX-530SS ATX12V 530W Power Supply
$59.99 - 10.00 MIR = $49.99
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145015
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400)
$109.99
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115013
Intel Core 2 Duo E4300
$125
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128042
GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (rev. 1.3)
$109.99 - 10 w/promo code EMC424DGIGA = $99.99
HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148140
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 16MB cache Perp. Rec.
$79.99
DVD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827152079
Sony NEC Optiarc Black 18X 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner
$32.99
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102067
SAPPHIRE 100186L Radeon X1950XT 256MB GDDR3 video card
$199.99 - $20 MIR = $179.99

OR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814143090
BFG Tech BFGR7950256GTOCE GeForce 7950GT 256MB GDDR3
$209.99 - $30 MIR = $179.99

TOTAL w/shipping before MIRs:
X1950XT - $788.66
7950GT OC - $798.16
After MIRs:
X1950XT - $758.66
7950GT OC - $758.16

The X1950XT gives the best performance out of the box, but I've read that the 7950GTs (especially from BFG and eVGA) overclock to 620MHz+ core easily on stock cooling.

I recommend the PSU since it has good reviews, amperages, and features (ie. modular, 2 x PCI express connectors)

Hope that helps with some price updates as well as my 2 cents.