Why does my internet spike when using torrents?

pixelharmony

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I set up the port correctly, removed firewall, I had no problems before on campus with Torrents.

Now I'm in Chicago using SBC Yahoo DSL and I find that every so often my internet spikes only when using torrents.

internet.jpg

Corksil

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
The spikes could be attributed to running into a bandwidth cap, like alpine said. As you see, it builds up to a peak, then the cap kicks in and kills it down, then it rises again and the process repeats. I've had downloads look like that myself at times.

pixelharmony

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
I don't think SBC Yahoo can put a cap on my DSL line? This is not on campus.

I can download files direct from Microsoft (ie Vista RC1) with no problems at all DLing a 3.59GB file.

Only when I use torrents does this happen... I'm using port 13xxx and have it open on my firewall and router. So all system are okay.

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
BitTorrent is overloading your connection. Downloading from Microsoft is a connection between you and one server, downloading from BT means dozens of connections from you to other people also downloading the same file.

At your school, they undoubtedly had a much faster connection than you do at home. Also, BT is also uploading traffic back to other users. If you run a constant ping while downloading some random file, it might go up a bit but not too much, now if you upload a file to a FTP server or a website, your latency will skyrocket. This is because your downstream bandwidth is a lot higher than your upstream, so when you upload something, all your bandwidth is used up and your latency climbs.

queuetrip

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2002
your internet provider is detecting torrents and limiting bandwidth!.

Check out what SandVine is doing... (i.e they have box that detects protocols, acts in a way that your ip wants.(i.e. restrict bandwidth) (they can also degrade Voip but they dont know if that is right...)

fredweston

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
your internet provider is detecting torrents and limiting bandwidth!.

Check out what SandVine is doing... (i.e they have box that detects protocols, acts in a way that your ip wants.(i.e. restrict bandwidth) (they can also degrade Voip but they dont know if that is right...)

That must explain why everybody has this same exact problem. :?