cooling through refrigeration

aicediver

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I repair install heating cooling and refrigeration for buisnesses...for a wile i have thogh about tering apart a littel refrigerator and construst a air cooling system(cool the incoming air) i know at the cooling source i would have condensation issues..but aon the hardware its self would i have one? or are the other thigs to worry about also?
would seal the system so the only source of incoming air would be the cooled air..exhaust air also

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Hello aicediver,

Once you have cooled the air to a certain temperature, a certain portion of water vapor in the air has already been "condensed out". The cooled air is already dryer than the surrounding warmer air in the room. As long as the cooled air is the ONLY source of air moving into the computer enclosure, you shouldn't have any condensation problems. However, if you expose your chilled computer components to moist room air, you would probably see condensation on items that have a low specific heat, like metal components - heatsinks, hard drives, etc.

Be careful about dumping air that could be TOO cold into the case, though. Some devices will specify MINIMUM operating temperatures, and you don't want to freeze them out. How cold are you talking about, anyway?

What kind of system are you building that is going to require such a cooling system?

Also, if you keep the cooling system in one room, all of the energy required by the cooling system will WARM up the room.

Regards,

Altazi

aicediver

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
most of what you mentioned i know already..the refrigerator heats the room becouse you are not cooling the air your are moving the heat to another spot. I just like to build and try new things ( if i had plenty of $ and a lab coat i could rule the world). i did not know about minnum temps on certain hard ware. It jsut seems likea better form of cooling than water and fans and more fans..if you had a quite way to disperse all the heat.

stefx

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2006
It won't work. Your freezer is a heat pump but it's not made to continuously transfer 300-500W of heat.

Do a simple test.... Find a 300W heat source, put it in a freezer and run it. In a few weeks your freezer's compressor will die.

The freezer is a heat pump circuit created to keep things cool.

An air conditioner unit would last much longer. You could also design a water reservoir (aluminium or copper) and cool it with a bunch of quiet Peltiers.