Custom PC boots for half a second

AOE3_Junkie

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
This is my first pc build and i need some help. I put together a budget gaming system and tested it in December with no hdd and it worked fine the mobo name came up and i shut it down before the post/bios. Now, 1 month later i have all the components and the led's light up for not even a second then go out, but the keyboard light is on as well as one of the mobo diagnostics lights. WHAT DO I DO?

ECS KN1 Extreme mobo
1x 1 gb Ultra pc 3200 mem
AMD 4000+ cpu
Hitachi 160 gb hdd
450 watt PSU is generic with the case (XION)
Radeon 1600 xt graphics card

Madix

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Someone else might be better at diagnosing the problem but I had a similar problem when I bought a new graphics card. The system played games for a week or so then it just wouldnt start anymore. I tried out my old card and it turned on perfectly.

It could be anything though. Try switching out whatever parts you can if you have your old system, start with the easiest ones first like the ram and graphics card.

The_OGS

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
it worked fine the mobo name came up and i shut it down before the post/bios.
LoL, don't ever do that - what you did was shut it down during the POST!
To the motherboard, this is a hung BIOS. It is possible, if you cut the power at just the precise moment, to trash the BIOS...
This is why there are new 'dual-BIOSes' and redundant BIOS backups etc, because people improbably find ways to trash them :(
You must remove all power, remove the battery and close the Reset BIOS jumper, waiting ~60 seconds or so. Replace the battery and restore the BIOS jumper.
Hopefully whatever happened, the BIOS will come back again, heheh...
Anyway, try that first before I speculate any further on your problem at this point,
Regards

AOE3_Junkie

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
To Madix, I've tried swapping out some stuff like the graphics card, but haven't gotten to my my likely suspect the cpu because of how tighly the heatsink is clapsed on.
To The OGS, your suggestion sounds perfectly plausible, unfortunatley I haven't been able to do that yet, because I am worried about taking out the battery, it sounds risky, but I do have a Flash bios (tophat flash) that came with the mobo, would this be the time to use that, and how would I go about using that?

THANK YOU SOO MUCH FOR THE HELP!
Please stay posted (no pun intended)

Bobsama

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
Taking out the battery and stuff does no harm... it will allow it to reset. IF you try to overclock, you will have to do that if you have a problem. DOnt worry about removing it...

The flash utility wont work if you can't post (iirc).

AOE3_Junkie

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Tried resetting it and it still does not work, I'm starting to think that the memory or the cpu got fried, so I'm going to go to a computer store and switch some stuff out, but any other suggestions would be appreciated