Renaming W2K AD Administrator Account

I have been told by our Auditors to rename the administrator account and
create another Administrator account with no priviledges in its place.

We have 19 servers that log-in as Administrator and have services that
use/run as the Administrator account.

can anyone please let me have or suggest an order that I should tackle this
large change to our AD domain and the servers/services in it?

Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about renaming administrator account

    I would create a 'service account' that those servers/services should log in
    as, giving appropriate permissions for what each needs to do. Go ahead with
    renaming the administrator account as the auditors suggested, and create a
    new admin account without permissions.

    What would happen if someone were to leave and still have the administrator
    account now? What would you do to 'secure' the business at that point?
    Take a look at it from that angle.

    Ken

    "Woodsy" <Woodsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been told by our Auditors to rename the administrator account and
    > create another Administrator account with no priviledges in its place.
    >
    > We have 19 servers that log-in as Administrator and have services that
    > use/run as the Administrator account.
    >
    > can anyone please let me have or suggest an order that I should tackle
    > this
    > large change to our AD domain and the servers/services in it?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I have read several articles on how best to rename the Administrator account
    and some say use a GPO and others say just right click on the account and
    rename it.

    What is the prefered option or do I need to do them both?

    "Woodsy" wrote:
    > I have read several articles on how best to rename the
    > Administrator account
    > and some say use a GPO and others say just right click on the
    > account and
    > rename it.
    >
    > What is the prefered option or do I need to do them both?
    >
    > "Ken B" wrote:
    >
    > > I would create a 'service account' that those
    > servers/services should log in
    > > as, giving appropriate permissions for what each needs to
    > do. Go ahead with
    > > renaming the administrator account as the auditors
    > suggested, and create a
    > > new admin account without permissions.
    > >
    > > What would happen if someone were to leave and still have
    > the administrator
    > > account now? What would you do to 'secure' the business at
    > that point?
    > > Take a look at it from that angle.
    > >
    > > Ken
    > >
    > > "Woodsy" <Woodsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >  > >I have been told by our Auditors to rename the
    > administrator account and
    >  > > create another Administrator account with no
    > priviledges in its place.
    >  > >
    >  > > We have 19 servers that log-in as Administrator and
    > have services that
    >  > > use/run as the Administrator account.
    >  > >
    >  > > can anyone please let me have or suggest an order
    > that I should tackle
    >  > > this
    >  > > large change to our AD domain and the
    > servers/services in it?
    >  > >
    >  > > Thanks.

    Hi,

    For multiple workstations, using the GPO is the best idea. That way it
    is set on all workstations at once.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Renaming-W2K-AD-Administrator-Account-ftopict345007.html