Trying to decide on a video card

Need help trying to decide on a video card. The computer has an core 2 duo 6600 in it with pci-e. At the moment it is only going to be used for programming and some minor gaming. Later in the year it will be geared more towards gaming. Trying to see if I should go with the BFGR88640GTSE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB or I should buy some cheap graphics card and wait out for price drops? Anyone have recommendation for a cheap graphics card around 100 that I could use to wait it out? Possibly like the 7600gt card or am I just asking for trouble? Been out of the loop for a long time.
10 answers Last reply
More about trying decide video card
  1. Quote:
    Need help trying to decide on a video card. The computer has an core 2 duo 6600 in it with pci-e. At the moment it is only going to be used for programming and some minor gaming. Later in the year it will be geared more towards gaming. Trying to see if I should go with the BFGR88640GTSE GeForce 8800GTS 640MB or I should buy some cheap graphics card and wait out for price drops? Anyone have recommendation for a cheap graphics card around 100 that I could use to wait it out? Possibly like the 7600gt card or am I just asking for trouble? Been out of the loop for a long time.


    If your going to be doing any minor gameing now, then you can get a

    7600gt256mb $119.99
    ($99.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130073


    or if you didn't want to spend that much but still play "minor" gameing
    try this one.

    7300gt 256mb
    $69.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130052

    If you spend this kind of money now and later in the year is like 6-9 months for now, you could pick up a realy sweet card that will be probably dropped as much as you paid for this card by then, only you still have one of these cards.
    Hope this helps and good luck :)
  2. Either the 7600GT like he posted but not that 7300GT, it only has a 64 Bit bus and a 256mb which is seriouly going to kill that card.

    I suggest this card same price far better.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102048

    As another counter and option to that 7600GT check out the X1650XT

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102068

    But this would be very good X1900GT for only 134$ that destroys the 7600GT

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814142084
  3. If you like MIR get that X1900GT, or if thats out of your price range, get the 7600GT.

    If you don't like MIR, my choice would be the X1650XT, since it's marginally faster than the 7600GT. Or you could get a cheap X1650Pro or even cheaper X1300XT (both of which aren't bad for gaming for the price), and stick it out until later this year.
  4. i'd get the x1650pro, its closer to the 100. decent card if you aren't huge on gaming :)
  5. Quote:
    Either the 7600GT like he posted but not that 7300GT, it only has a 64 Bit bus and a 256mb which is seriouly going to kill that card.

    I suggest this card same price far better.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102048

    As another counter and option to that 7600GT check out the X1650XT

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102068

    But this would be very good X1900GT for only 134$ that destroys the 7600GT

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814142084


    the 7300GT is 128bit while the 7300s are 64bit
  6. The one he posted had 64 Bit, that what i was talking about.
  7. Quote:
    The one he posted had 64 Bit, that what i was talking about.

    oh the one you mentioned was the gt
  8. I'd go for the 7600 GT. I think it's a pretty good trade off between plain utilitarian and intense gaming. It might be geared more toward the gaming part of the equation but you won't regret it. The 7600 GT can pretty much play any modern games at decent settings and will be good for whatever you do with your computer. It's good deal for its price IMHO, DX10 card are not worth buying now, you pay a premium for nothing.
  9. Just wanted to thank you all for your help. It was appreciated!
  10. Quote:
    The one he posted had 64 Bit, that what i was talking about.



    Oops you are right.. don't ever buy a 64bit dog. Sorry. I completely thought I looked at that but honestly I look at so many cars through the days that I forget what Im looking at sometimes. IF you get the 7300gt make sure its 128bit on the memory. Good eye Xazax310. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product