Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Backup MyPC - of interest

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:55:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for those who
are using versions 4.5 and above!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

More about : backup mypc interest

February 16, 2005 11:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) wrote:

> Sorry! Forgot the link (-:

Alzheimer's must be setting in, you old fart <G>.

What are you now, 79? 80?
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:58:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sorry! Forgot the link (-:
http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eTcFSPJFFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for those
> who are using versions 4.5 and above!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:18:37 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Be sure to read their disclaimer for v6 - you cannot recover any files
backed-up with earlier versions. I'm running v6 and so far I haven't noticed
any problems.

Bob S.


"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:eTcFSPJFFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for those
> who are using versions 4.5 and above!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:43:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I can remember my first girlfriends phone number but I don't know if I have
my socks on (-;

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!


"Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:1108606558.246948.169840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
> Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) wrote:
>
>> Sorry! Forgot the link (-:
>
> Alzheimer's must be setting in, you old fart <G>.
>
> What are you now, 79? 80?
>
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:43:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

My first girlfriend didn't have a phone or socks ;-)

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23OS1ypJFFHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I can remember my first girlfriends phone number but I don't know if I
have
> my socks on (-;
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>
> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
> "Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
> news:1108606558.246948.169840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> >
> > Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) wrote:
> >
> >> Sorry! Forgot the link (-:
> >
> > Alzheimer's must be setting in, you old fart <G>.
> >
> > What are you now, 79? 80?
> >
>
>
February 17, 2005 10:58:32 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

That's fairly common for non-human animals!

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message news:uDKS$HKFFHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My first girlfriend didn't have a phone or socks ;-)
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23OS1ypJFFHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I can remember my first girlfriends phone number but I don't know if I
> have
>> my socks on (-;
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>
>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>
>>
>> "Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> news:1108606558.246948.169840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> >
>> > Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) wrote:
>> >
>> >> Sorry! Forgot the link (-:
>> >
>> > Alzheimer's must be setting in, you old fart <G>.
>> >
>> > What are you now, 79? 80?
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:06:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Now how did you know I was a farm boy?

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp


"Al" <al@owl.com> wrote in message
news:1108645114.99f4c774a95b541fb4f1925c1ccb33b4@teranews...
That's fairly common for non-human animals!

"Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
news:uDKS$HKFFHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> My first girlfriend didn't have a phone or socks ;-)
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
>
>
> "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:%23OS1ypJFFHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> I can remember my first girlfriends phone number but I don't know if I
> have
>> my socks on (-;
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>
>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>
>>
>> "Curmudgeon" <krmujn@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>> news:1108606558.246948.169840@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>> >
>> > Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) wrote:
>> >
>> >> Sorry! Forgot the link (-:
>> >
>> > Alzheimer's must be setting in, you old fart <G>.
>> >
>> > What are you now, 79? 80?
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 11:10:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-) wrote:

> There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for those who
> are using versions 4.5 and above!
>

BackupMyPC would be better than what I use, but:
- it is still way overpriced for SOHO use
- it still does not support the Sony DRU-540A announced last June
--
Cheers, Bob
Anonymous
February 17, 2005 12:03:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:55:54 -0500, "Crusty \(-: Old B@stard :-\)"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for those who
>are using versions 4.5 and above!

I prefer http://www.bootitng.com/image.html

Small enough to fit on one 3.5" boot disk, will write an IMAGE
to either CD or DVD, and will make that CD or DVD bootable for
easy restore operation


John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 8:23:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Bob S." wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
[stomp software's "Backup My PC" release 6]
>Be sure to read their disclaimer for v6 - you cannot recover any files
>backed-up with earlier versions.

So why would we want that. A backup program that won't read files
written by an earlier version of itself seems pretty useless unless
the idea is to _have_ backups without _using_ them.

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 9:15:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:%23OS1ypJFFHA.1188@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I can remember my first girlfriends phone number but I don't know if I have
>my socks on (-;

You're only a youngster then?

I know I'm still alive if I wake up in the morning!

--
alan

reply to alan(dot)holmes27(at)virgin(dot)net
Anonymous
February 20, 2005 4:20:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

F.Y.I.
Just as a test, I popped in a 5.x backup tape, did a "Media Device"
view, it READ the tape, popped up the tapes catalog & let me RESTORE
several folders/files... So even though it tells you that it won't
restore previous versions, it it worked for at least a 5.x version.
Maybe someone has a 4.x backup they could try to read/restore from???

Ray...

Bob S. wrote:
> Be sure to read their disclaimer for v6 - you cannot recover any
files
> backed-up with earlier versions. I'm running v6 and so far I haven't
noticed
> any problems.
>
> Bob S.
>
>
> "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com>
wrote in
> message news:eTcFSPJFFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> > There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for
those
> > who are using versions 4.5 and above!
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:35:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I had the same experience and Stomp e-mailed me and set up a code to
let me download a non-upgrade version of v.6. The problem with v6 is
that it cannot read backups created with a previous version and it
cannot coexist with a previous version on the same system (i.e. the
installer uninstalls the previous version) so I have chosen not to use
it.

Jerry

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:59:39 -0500, "Richard A. Landkamer"
<ralandka@pdq.net> wrote:

>FYI, I just sent the following to StompSoft Support with the Subject: "My bizarre experience with your Download Update for Backup MyPC v6.0":
>
>"I was previously running Backup MyPC v5.0. Last night I downloaded your "Download Update" for Backup MyPC v6.0 from your web page at <http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html?SourceID=BPUS6&...;.
>
>"However, when I attempted to install your v6.0 update, I kept getting error messages stating that this update could not find any valid version of Backup MyPC installed on my computer. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Backup MyPC v5.0 on my computer with no problems. However, when I again attempted to upgrade my reinstalled Backup MyPC v5.0 to Backup MyPC v6.0, I still got the same error message that Backup MyPC v6.0 could not find any valid version of Backup MyPC installed on my computer.
>
>"Then as an afterthought, I realized that I had an obsolete installation file for Backup MyPC v4.85. So I uninstalled Backup MyPC v5.0, which I have been running for well over a year, and installed this old obsolete Backup MyPC v4.85. Then when I attempted to upgrade this obsolete Backup MyPC v4.85 to Backup MyPC v6.0, to my great surprise this update/upgrade actually worked. I find this experience incredibly bizarre.
>
>"Have I uncovered a bug, or is this part of your systems design that no ordinary mortal like me could ever comprehend? If this is in the latter category, was this designed by the same person or group that developed this new version 6.0 of Backup MyPC, which 'cannot be used to restore backup sets created with versions of Backup MyPC prior to version 6.0'"???
>
>"FYI, all of my previous versions of Backup MyPC have been downloaded over the Internet.
>
>Richard A. Landkamer
>
>
>"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eTcFSPJFFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>> There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for those who
>> are using versions 4.5 and above!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>>
>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>
>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:50:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I will continue to use Norton Ghost as my primary backup and recovery
system under Windows XP SP2. However, I am not opposed to also
using a second level alternative backup like Backup MyPC -- if it can
actually be made to work.

Back in 2003 when I upgraded from Windows 98 to Windows XP SP1,
I was forced to switch to Norton Ghost as my primary backup and
recovery system because Backup MyPC could not do Disaster Recovery
under Windows XP SP1. When I upgraded to Windows XP SP2 last
year, Backup MyPC v5.0 then claimed that it could do Disaster Recovery.

I do not know if any version of Backup MyPC really can do Disaster
Recovery under Windows XP SP2, so I will continue to rely upon Norton
Ghost as my primary backup and recovery system. Also, Norton Ghost
is much simpler to use in a Disaster Recovery situation.

Richard A. Landkamer


"Jerome M. Katz" <jerrymkatz@NOSPAM@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:p uu1511576t2631rgu70ln0fi4n5fnovm4@4ax.com...
>I had the same experience and Stomp e-mailed me and set up a code to
> let me download a non-upgrade version of v.6. The problem with v6 is
> that it cannot read backups created with a previous version and it
> cannot coexist with a previous version on the same system (i.e. the
> installer uninstalls the previous version) so I have chosen not to use
> it.
>
> Jerry
>
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 00:59:39 -0500, "Richard A. Landkamer"
> <ralandka@pdq.net> wrote:
>
>>FYI, I just sent the following to StompSoft Support with the Subject: "My bizarre experience with your Download Update for Backup
>>MyPC v6.0":
>>
>>"I was previously running Backup MyPC v5.0. Last night I downloaded your "Download Update" for Backup MyPC v6.0 from your web
>>page at <http://www.stompsoft.com/downloads.html?SourceID=BPUS6&...;.
>>
>>"However, when I attempted to install your v6.0 update, I kept getting error messages stating that this update could not find any
>>valid version of Backup MyPC installed on my computer. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Backup MyPC v5.0 on my
>>computer with no problems. However, when I again attempted to upgrade my reinstalled Backup MyPC v5.0 to Backup MyPC v6.0, I
>>still got the same error message that Backup MyPC v6.0 could not find any valid version of Backup MyPC installed on my computer.
>>
>>"Then as an afterthought, I realized that I had an obsolete installation file for Backup MyPC v4.85. So I uninstalled Backup MyPC
>>v5.0, which I have been running for well over a year, and installed this old obsolete Backup MyPC v4.85. Then when I attempted to
>>upgrade this obsolete Backup MyPC v4.85 to Backup MyPC v6.0, to my great surprise this update/upgrade actually worked. I find
>>this experience incredibly bizarre.
>>
>>"Have I uncovered a bug, or is this part of your systems design that no ordinary mortal like me could ever comprehend? If this is
>>in the latter category, was this designed by the same person or group that developed this new version 6.0 of Backup MyPC, which
>>'cannot be used to restore backup sets created with versions of Backup MyPC prior to version 6.0'"???
>>
>>"FYI, all of my previous versions of Backup MyPC have been downloaded over the Internet.
>>
>>Richard A. Landkamer
>>
>>
>>"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eTcFSPJFFHA.464@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
>>> There is a new version (ver 6.0) out along with a free update for those who
>>> are using versions 4.5 and above!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>>
>>> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
>>>
>>> If you knew as much as you think you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>>>
>>>
>>>
>
!