Windows legal copy

I recently received a notice from Microsoft which stated that I was using an
unauthorized version of Windows XP and would have to re-authenticate. I
provided the authentication numbers/letters from the back of the cpu. Since
my software was preinstalled by Sony I was sure I was legal, however my codes
were not acceptied and I had to work my way through and finally did get
authenticated and received a new set of codes. I was then able to use Widows
XP again but lost access to IE. I tried to reload my system and the entire
system crashed. I have replaced the hard drive and reloaded the system which
is working great. My concern is "do I have to re-register and
re-authenticate my windows? I can no longer find the option that allows you
to determing whether you have a legal copy or not. My system was reloaded
with all original software.
--
mtk
6 answers Last reply

    What is a phishing scam?
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/phishing.mspx

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "mtk" wrote:

    | I recently received a notice from Microsoft which stated that I was using an
    | unauthorized version of Windows XP and would have to re-authenticate. I
    | provided the authentication numbers/letters from the back of the cpu. Since
    | my software was preinstalled by Sony I was sure I was legal, however my codes
    | were not acceptied and I had to work my way through and finally did get
    | authenticated and received a new set of codes. I was then able to use Widows
    | XP again but lost access to IE. I tried to reload my system and the entire
    | system crashed. I have replaced the hard drive and reloaded the system which
    | is working great. My concern is "do I have to re-register and
    | re-authenticate my windows? I can no longer find the option that allows you
    | to determing whether you have a legal copy or not. My system was reloaded
    | with all original software.
    | --
    | mtk

    Hi,

    Re-register? No, you never have to register.

    Re-activate? A system needs to be reactivated whenever a reinstall is done,
    normally this is accomplished at the end of setup.

    Microsoft, as far as I know, does not go out emailing people that their
    systems are unauthorized. You can validate your installation here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/default.mspx

    Offhand, I'd say you might have been scammed.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "mtk" <mtk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently received a notice from Microsoft which stated that I was using
    >an
    > unauthorized version of Windows XP and would have to re-authenticate. I
    > provided the authentication numbers/letters from the back of the cpu.
    > Since
    > my software was preinstalled by Sony I was sure I was legal, however my
    > codes
    > were not acceptied and I had to work my way through and finally did get
    > authenticated and received a new set of codes. I was then able to use
    > Widows
    > XP again but lost access to IE. I tried to reload my system and the
    > entire
    > system crashed. I have replaced the hard drive and reloaded the system
    > which
    > is working great. My concern is "do I have to re-register and
    > re-authenticate my windows? I can no longer find the option that allows
    > you
    > to determing whether you have a legal copy or not. My system was reloaded
    > with all original software.
    > --
    > mtk

    I would definitely say you've been the victim of a scam.

    Just a note - there's an email going around that will direct you to a
    website to "authenticate" your license by supplying your credit card
    number...DON'T DO IT!!!

    "mtk" <mtk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently received a notice from Microsoft which stated that I was using
    >an
    > unauthorized version of Windows XP and would have to re-authenticate. I
    > provided the authentication numbers/letters from the back of the cpu.
    > Since
    > my software was preinstalled by Sony I was sure I was legal, however my
    > codes
    > were not acceptied and I had to work my way through and finally did get
    > authenticated and received a new set of codes. I was then able to use
    > Widows
    > XP again but lost access to IE. I tried to reload my system and the
    > entire
    > system crashed. I have replaced the hard drive and reloaded the system
    > which
    > is working great. My concern is "do I have to re-register and
    > re-authenticate my windows? I can no longer find the option that allows
    > you
    > to determing whether you have a legal copy or not. My system was reloaded
    > with all original software.
    > --
    > mtk

    "mtk" <mtk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I can no longer find the option that allows you
    > to determing whether you have a legal copy or not. My system was reloaded
    > with all original software.

    In which case you are probably ok.

    You can check to see if your copy has been activated ok by running the
    activation program in..
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
    It should tell you that you are already activated.

    If you are then all is ok.

    Just don't fall for that trick email again!

    Thankyou. Each of your answers were helpful and I believe I have a legal copy.
    I am wondering whether I should post the event that experience on the forum
    in case other novice types run into it. If it was a scam it was very good.
    It was not an email but a screen message and completely cut me off from the
    OS. It did refer me to 1800 numbers which appeared legitimate and at no time
    requested a credit card or other information other than the authenticity
    code. As soon as I completed the re-authentication, I was back in
    business.......mtk

    "mtk" wrote:

    > I recently received a notice from Microsoft which stated that I was using an
    > unauthorized version of Windows XP and would have to re-authenticate. I
    > provided the authentication numbers/letters from the back of the cpu. Since
    > my software was preinstalled by Sony I was sure I was legal, however my codes
    > were not acceptied and I had to work my way through and finally did get
    > authenticated and received a new set of codes. I was then able to use Widows
    > XP again but lost access to IE. I tried to reload my system and the entire
    > system crashed. I have replaced the hard drive and reloaded the system which
    > is working great. My concern is "do I have to re-register and
    > re-authenticate my windows? I can no longer find the option that allows you
    > to determing whether you have a legal copy or not. My system was reloaded
    > with all original software.
    > --
    > mtk

    "mtk" <mtk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I recently received a notice from Microsoft which stated that I was using
    >an
    > unauthorized version of Windows XP and would have to re-authenticate. I
    > provided the authentication numbers/letters from the back of the cpu.
    > Since
    > my software was preinstalled by Sony I was sure I was legal, however my
    > codes
    > were not acceptied and I had to work my way through and finally did get
    > authenticated and received a new set of codes. I was then able to use
    > Widows
    > XP again but lost access to IE. I tried to reload my system and the
    > entire
    > system crashed. I have replaced the hard drive and reloaded the system
    > which
    > is working great. My concern is "do I have to re-register and
    > re-authenticate my windows? I can no longer find the option that allows
    > you
    > to determing whether you have a legal copy or not. My system was reloaded
    > with all original software.
    > --
    > mtk

    If you gave your credit card number, you'd better cancel that card.

Microsoft Windows XP