MAP a Printer

WB

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

Could anyone direct me on a way I can map a default when a users logs on
using a GPO

thanks

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:30:07 -0000, "WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote:

>Could anyone direct me on a way I can map a default when a users logs on
>using a GPO
>
>thanks

The default printer is stored in the Device value name at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows.

See tip 672 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

You cxould create a custom ADM file for group policy.

See tip 8532 » Using Administrative Template Files with Registry-Based Group Policy.

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

Here is a sample VBS file that someone gave me

Set WshNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "\\ServerName\Printer Share Name"
WshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection "\\ServerName\Printer Share Name"

WshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter "\\ServerName\Printer Share Name"

If you use this in GP's at the User Login works great. This is an example
of how to add, remove and set default printer.

James

"WB" <wmb2003@zoom.co.uk> wrote in message
> Could anyone direct me on a way I can map a default when a users logs on
> using a GPO
>
> thanks

WB

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2004

Thank you for that info. I also found this which solved my problem
http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t283428.html

and used group policy loopback - merge mode to apply the printer