are the premium modules any good?

so how do the premium modules compare to the free stuff that can be
downloaded?

btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?

thanks.
18 answers Last reply
More about premium modules good

    alko wrote:
    > so how do the premium modules compare to the free stuff that can be
    > downloaded?

    I've played Kingmaker for about two hours so far, and I'm not entirely
    sure it's worth paying for the module. OTOH, many reviews so far seem to
    indicate people feel they are getting their money's worth.

    > btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?

    If there is, it's illegal.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Barry Scott Will wrote:
    >> btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?
    >

    > If there is, it's illegal.

    I should also mention that, even if you do download them free somewhere,
    you can't play them. Each time you load a premium module, your CD key is
    authenticated against their list of who purchased the modules. Unless
    somebody goes to the trouble of cracking the modules, there's just no point.

    Also, I just saw a fan site review that gave Shadowguard a 6.8 out of 10.
    --
    Barry Scott Will
    Pyric RPG Publications

    Barry Scott Will wrote:
    > alko wrote:
    >> btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?
    >

    > If there is, it's illegal.

    Actually, they can be downloaded for free, by design. But if you haven't
    paid to register them, you're limited to playing a "demo" mode.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    So someone saw all this fanmade stuff, went 'hey, we can make more money
    here!' and whipped up something or other(among other things, I believe, a
    set of modules that used to be free), and smacked a pricetag on it,
    completely ignoring those of us for whom across-the-border net-paying is off
    limits. Real community-aid, I must say.
    Leave module-making to the fans!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Elfseeker wrote:
    > So someone saw all this fanmade stuff, went 'hey, we can make more
    > money here!' and whipped up something or other(among other things, I
    > believe, a set of modules that used to be free), and smacked a
    > pricetag on it, completely ignoring those of us for whom
    > across-the-border net-paying is off limits. Real community-aid, I
    > must say. Leave module-making to the fans!

    It does aid the community. If the pay modules provide Bioware a decent
    revenue stream, then they have a higher incentive to continue supporting
    the game. I would prefer that they didn't let NWN wither away like most
    game companies do with their older games.

    - W. Citoan
    --
    The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
    patriots.

    W. Citoan wrote:
    > It does aid the community. If the pay modules provide Bioware a decent
    > revenue stream, then they have a higher incentive to continue supporting
    > the game. I would prefer that they didn't let NWN wither away like most
    > game companies do with their older games.
    >
    > - W. Citoan

    It's possible that Bioware could stop supporting NWN - heck it probably
    will but it will be a very long time before fans stop making modules for it.

    I forget the name but back in the early 90's there was a D&D dungeon kit
    program for the PC published by SSI or someone. There were scenarios and
    adventures being created for it until the late 90's. And it was strictly
    top down map, 2d stuff. Some of the adventures were pretty darn good,
    had interesting stories and provided for character advancement in a
    logical way.

    To be honest if you take away the bells and whistles of NWN there aren't
    very many user made modules (with the exception of a few persistent
    worlds) worth a damn (there are a few - Gagnon's Excrucio Eternum comes
    to mind as one).

    Most are created by amateurs - AND - it shows...

    There's some good imagination behind some modules but the creators just
    don't have the necessary scripting skills to effectively execute. Those
    few that do have the skill to execute rarely have the imagination needed
    to make a good story or get in a hurry and forget the little things like
    appropriate ambient sounds, closing doors of places like taverns,
    having multiple and random things said by non-critical NPC's in towns or
    homes - the list goes on and on.

    Could I do better? No - because I don't have the imagination to make a
    good story. No - because I don't have the patience nor the will to take
    the time (many, many hours) to do one right.

    But there's folks out there that do - so far they just haven't.

    --
    Maddog
    ======

    "Elfseeker" <elfseeker@c2i.net> wrote in message
    > So someone saw all this fanmade stuff, went 'hey, we can make more money
    > here!' and whipped up something or other(among other things, I believe, a
    > set of modules that used to be free), and smacked a pricetag on it,
    > completely ignoring those of us for whom across-the-border net-paying is
    > off
    > limits. Real community-aid, I must say.
    > Leave module-making to the fans!

    Where are you that it's impossible to pay for the modules?

  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Maddog wrote:

    > It's possible that Bioware could stop supporting NWN - heck it
    > probably will but it will be a very long time before fans stop making
    > modules for it.

    Supporting NWN is more than making modules. As long as they are selling
    modules, they are going to be developing new content[1] and will patch
    any problems that might surface.

    [1] Hopefully, they realize making that new content available for the
    community to use is in their best interest. It will give people more
    incentive to develop their own modules. They more decent modules,
    the more willing people are to continue playing and to subsequently
    purchase Bioware's modules.

    > To be honest if you take away the bells and whistles of NWN there
    > aren't very many user made modules (with the exception of a few
    > persistent worlds) worth a damn (there are a few - Gagnon's Excrucio
    > Eternum comes to mind as one).

    I disagree with that. I've found quite a few user modules that were fun
    to play. Even not counting the Hall of Fame modules, there are several
    that have been decent. Not all good RPGs, but sometimes hack-n-slash
    can make for an enjoyable hour or two.

    - W. Citoan
    --
    It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits:
    freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.

    Maddog <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in news:41A00658.6040407@nowhere.com:

    > Could I do better? No - because I don't have the imagination to make a
    > good story. No - because I don't have the patience nor the will to
    > take the time (many, many hours) to do one right.
    >
    > But there's folks out there that do - so far they just haven't.

    Is there any place that matches people up? For example, I've got the
    imagination. I think I'm a good writer (and enough people have agreed to
    keep me employed for the past 20 years) but I can't script or skin. How
    would I go about finding other people interested in putting together a
    mod who do have the skills I don't?

    Darryl
    drakhan.com
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:17:06 GMT, Barry Scott Will
    <nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

    >Barry Scott Will wrote:
    >>> btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?
    >>

    >> If there is, it's illegal.
    >

    >I should also mention that, even if you do download them free somewhere,
    >you can't play them. Each time you load a premium module, your CD key is
    >authenticated against their list of who purchased the modules. Unless
    >somebody goes to the trouble of cracking the modules, there's just no point.
    >
    >Also, I just saw a fan site review that gave Shadowguard a 6.8 out of 10.

    I bought and downloaded Shadowguard, and the update to Witches Wake.

    Shadowguard is OK, I guess, but nowhere near as good as other free
    modules.

    I'm now playing the updated Witches Wake. It does LOOK great (skies,
    terrain etc), and I'm somewhat happier about that. It cost less than
    $10.00 Aussie dollars, and I got it for "completion's sake", having
    bought all the NW Nights up till now, including the boxed Collectors
    Edition with the T-shirt etc.

    Would I buy another? Unlikely, because I hate the licensing check
    every time I load a saved game or start one of the recent modules.
    Fine if I'm connected to the net, but if I'm on the road with the
    laptop, I'm restricted to the modules that don't check. That's
    annoying, because I had to use my CD keys and jump through hoops to
    get to this point already.

    --

    Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
    http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

    "You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Darryl Riser wrote:
    > Maddog <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in news:41A00658.6040407@nowhere.com:
    >

    >>Could I do better? No - because I don't have the imagination to make a
    >>good story. No - because I don't have the patience nor the will to
    >>take the time (many, many hours) to do one right.
    >>
    >>But there's folks out there that do - so far they just haven't.
    >

    > Is there any place that matches people up? For example, I've got the
    > imagination. I think I'm a good writer (and enough people have agreed to
    > keep me employed for the past 20 years) but I can't script or skin. How
    > would I go about finding other people interested in putting together a
    > mod who do have the skills I don't?
    >
    > Darryl
    > drakhan.com

    That's a great idea and it's how the big houses work - putting writers
    and programmers together to make a good game.

    If you're serious a good place to start would be the Bioware NWN forums.
    They are an active place with many, many users and many, many different
    skill levels.

    --
    Maddog
    ======
    Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of
    the unhappy people.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    >> Is there any place that matches people up?
    > That's a great idea and it's how the big houses work - putting writers and
    > programmers together to make a good game.
    > If you're serious a good place to start would be the Bioware NWN forums.

    Scripting forum, useful for help with scripting but as scripters are in high
    demand don't expect to recruit any.
    However they will help with any scripting queries.
    http://cgi.nwvault.ign.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi

    This ones worth a try but is primarily for getting gamers together for NWN.
    http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/

    I have written a mod and spent over 2 years developing it.
    http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000.shtml
    I worked on it with a proofreader friend so there was a fairly good team of
    writing / scripting.

    I'm glad someone notices little things like doors opening/closing because
    all my feedback seems very negative.

    Added a custom rations system instead of healing potions so PC can
    hunt/build fire/cook/eat and heal but no one has even noticed.

    Overly negative feedback will prevent me (and probably others) writing
    anymore mods for NWN. Unless you are ready for a lot of criticism don't
    write a mod as someone will disagree with the style and give negative
    feedback.

    I might have another go when the sequel comes out.

    Only just found this group, probably going to stay for a while.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Details are important (and it's heart warming that at least a few module
    authors care about them). Unfortunately the details, the ambience, the
    story line, twists and turns in a complex plot etc only matter to those
    of higher intellect.

    The mindless masses are happy with lots of hack'n slash, simple puzzles
    and linear plots.

    PC's are now in every home. Publishers are going to provide product that
    appeals to the largest market because that's where the money is.
    Unfortunately now a days that market is teen agers and the HS educated
    peon. Anything that requires more than a smattering of thought is beyond
    them.

    Sad, really - PC's had such promise in the entertainment field. AI is
    dumber today than it was 20 years ago. The only improvements made in the
    25 years I've been gaming on a PC are in the bells and whistles of sound
    and sight. What really counts has been mostly ignored.

    --
    Maddog
    ======

    Alistair Davis wrote:
    >>>Is there any place that matches people up?
    >>
    >>That's a great idea and it's how the big houses work - putting writers and
    >>programmers together to make a good game.
    >>If you're serious a good place to start would be the Bioware NWN forums.
    >

    > Scripting forum, useful for help with scripting but as scripters are in high
    > demand don't expect to recruit any.
    > However they will help with any scripting queries.
    > http://cgi.nwvault.ign.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi
    >
    > This ones worth a try but is primarily for getting gamers together for NWN.
    > http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/
    >
    > I have written a mod and spent over 2 years developing it.
    > http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000.shtml
    > I worked on it with a proofreader friend so there was a fairly good team of
    > writing / scripting.
    >
    > I'm glad someone notices little things like doors opening/closing because
    > all my feedback seems very negative.
    >
    > Added a custom rations system instead of healing potions so PC can
    > hunt/build fire/cook/eat and heal but no one has even noticed.
    >
    > Overly negative feedback will prevent me (and probably others) writing
    > anymore mods for NWN. Unless you are ready for a lot of criticism don't
    > write a mod as someone will disagree with the style and give negative
    > feedback.
    >
    > I might have another go when the sequel comes out.
    >
    > Only just found this group, probably going to stay for a while.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > The mindless masses are happy with lots of hack'n slash

    I've been known to enjoy this now and then (especially multiplayer).

    > Publishers are going to provide product that appeals to the largest market
    > because that's where the money is. The only improvements made in the 25
    > years I've been gaming on a PC are in the bells and whistles of sound and
    > sight. What really counts has been mostly ignored.

    Games tend to look very slick and sound amazing. Saw advert for "Kill Zone?"
    initial thought was "Looks good" but after some explanations it sounds the
    same old FPS (now and then theyre ok 4 a laugh) with better graphics. No
    advancement in actual gaming seems to have happened.

    Havn't bought a new PC game for a while as nothing is that appealing, I want
    something thats going to last (ie NWN) not a remake of 100 similar other
    games. I'm not that old myself but remember games coming with a mini novel
    etc and generally having some depth. With games getting better (more
    powerfull / more expensive to produce) then software houses are going to
    take less risks and produce less niche titles and more for mainstream
    (sports sims / FPS) which has the potential of getting very boring.

    Anyone tried Halo / Halo 2 they look slick but whats gameplay (& depth)
    like?

    Sticking to NWN I've played a few fan created mods that were dreadfull and a
    few (even hack n slash) that were fairly entertaining.

    If you know of any particularly good NWN mods that have a good variety in
    them I'd like to hear of them, have a bit more time now own mod is finished.

    If you fancy a NWN mod thats not too combat intensive try mine:
    >> http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000.shtml
    Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would be
    out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly entertaining.
    There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas / maps
    are not needed.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Alistair Davis wrote:

    >>>http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000.shtml
    >>
    > Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would be
    > out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly entertaining.
    > There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas / maps
    > are not needed.

    The description looks interesting but it requires the CEP. CEP is too
    big and too much hassle to maintain/update everytime Bioware changes NWN
    to a higher version. In addition from everything I've read it adds its
    own bugs to the game. Not worth the effort for what it provides.

    --
    Maddog
    ======
    Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of
    the unhappy people.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Is there a site where you can mass download the non-premium modules? The IE
    "save as" dialog gets truly annoying after a few downloads. An FTP site, or
    someone who has them zipped into a single file... anything?

    "Maddog" <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >> Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would
    >> be out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly
    >> entertaining.
    >> There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas /
    >> maps are not needed.
    >
    > The description looks interesting but it requires the CEP. CEP is too big
    > and too much hassle to maintain/update everytime Bioware changes NWN to a
    > higher version. In addition from everything I've read it adds its own bugs
    > to the game. Not worth the effort for what it provides.
    >
    > --
    > Maddog
    > ======
    > Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the
    > unhappy people.

  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Are you nuts? A mass download of 4123 modules even on a cable modem
    would take hours!!!!>
    On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:58:04 -0600, "Adam Kroger"
    <adam_kroger<nospam>@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Is there a site where you can mass download the non-premium modules? The IE
    >"save as" dialog gets truly annoying after a few downloads. An FTP site, or
    >someone who has them zipped into a single file... anything?
    >
    >"Maddog" <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    >>> Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would
    >>> be out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly
    >>> entertaining.
    >>> There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas /
    >>> maps are not needed.
    >>
    >> The description looks interesting but it requires the CEP. CEP is too big
    >> and too much hassle to maintain/update everytime Bioware changes NWN to a
    >> higher version. In addition from everything I've read it adds its own bugs
    >> to the game. Not worth the effort for what it provides.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Maddog
    >> ======
    >> Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the
    >> unhappy people.

  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    [SNIP]
    Alistair> Anyone tried Halo / Halo 2 they look slick but whats
    Alistair> gameplay (& depth) like?

    Alistair> Sticking to NWN I've played a few fan created mods that
    Alistair> were dreadfull and a few (even hack n slash) that were
    Alistair> fairly entertaining.

    Alistair> If you know of any particularly good NWN mods that have
    Alistair> a good variety in them I'd like to hear of them, have a
    Alistair> bit more time now own mod is finished.
    [SNIP]

    Like another poster said, you should have a look at Elegia Eternum and
    its sequel, Excrucio Eternum from Stephane Gagne. Really great and
    keeps you surprised at each corner, and ambience is great as well.

    --

    Herve Regad-Pellagru

    MS-DOS: The name further annoys those who know what the term
    operating_system does (or ought to) connote; DOS is more properly a
    set of relatively simple interrupt services.

Games Video Games