are the premium modules any good?

Last response: in Video Games
November 19, 2004 12:46:11 PM

so how do the premium modules compare to the free stuff that can be
downloaded?

btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?

thanks.

More about : premium modules good

Anonymous
November 19, 2004 3:43:43 PM

alko wrote:
> so how do the premium modules compare to the free stuff that can be
> downloaded?

I've played Kingmaker for about two hours so far, and I'm not entirely
sure it's worth paying for the module. OTOH, many reviews so far seem to
indicate people feel they are getting their money's worth.

> btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?

If there is, it's illegal.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:
>> btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?
>

> If there is, it's illegal.

I should also mention that, even if you do download them free somewhere,
you can't play them. Each time you load a premium module, your CD key is
authenticated against their list of who purchased the modules. Unless
somebody goes to the trouble of cracking the modules, there's just no point.

Also, I just saw a fan site review that gave Shadowguard a 6.8 out of 10.
--
Barry Scott Will
Pyric RPG Publications

Barry Scott Will wrote:
> alko wrote:
>> btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?
>

> If there is, it's illegal.

Actually, they can be downloaded for free, by design. But if you haven't
paid to register them, you're limited to playing a "demo" mode.
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 4:48:05 AM

So someone saw all this fanmade stuff, went 'hey, we can make more money
here!' and whipped up something or other(among other things, I believe, a
set of modules that used to be free), and smacked a pricetag on it,
completely ignoring those of us for whom across-the-border net-paying is off
limits. Real community-aid, I must say.
Leave module-making to the fans!
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 5:34:44 AM

Elfseeker wrote:
> So someone saw all this fanmade stuff, went 'hey, we can make more
> money here!' and whipped up something or other(among other things, I
> believe, a set of modules that used to be free), and smacked a
> pricetag on it, completely ignoring those of us for whom
> across-the-border net-paying is off limits. Real community-aid, I
> must say. Leave module-making to the fans!

It does aid the community. If the pay modules provide Bioware a decent
revenue stream, then they have a higher incentive to continue supporting
the game. I would prefer that they didn't let NWN wither away like most
game companies do with their older games.

- W. Citoan
--
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of
patriots.

W. Citoan wrote:
> It does aid the community. If the pay modules provide Bioware a decent
> revenue stream, then they have a higher incentive to continue supporting
> the game. I would prefer that they didn't let NWN wither away like most
> game companies do with their older games.
>
> - W. Citoan

It's possible that Bioware could stop supporting NWN - heck it probably
will but it will be a very long time before fans stop making modules for it.

I forget the name but back in the early 90's there was a D&D dungeon kit
program for the PC published by SSI or someone. There were scenarios and
adventures being created for it until the late 90's. And it was strictly
top down map, 2d stuff. Some of the adventures were pretty darn good,
had interesting stories and provided for character advancement in a
logical way.

To be honest if you take away the bells and whistles of NWN there aren't
very many user made modules (with the exception of a few persistent
worlds) worth a damn (there are a few - Gagnon's Excrucio Eternum comes
to mind as one).

Most are created by amateurs - AND - it shows...

There's some good imagination behind some modules but the creators just
don't have the necessary scripting skills to effectively execute. Those
few that do have the skill to execute rarely have the imagination needed
to make a good story or get in a hurry and forget the little things like
appropriate ambient sounds, closing doors of places like taverns,
having multiple and random things said by non-critical NPC's in towns or
homes - the list goes on and on.

Could I do better? No - because I don't have the imagination to make a
good story. No - because I don't have the patience nor the will to take
the time (many, many hours) to do one right.

But there's folks out there that do - so far they just haven't.

--
Maddog
======

"Elfseeker" <elfseeker@c2i.net> wrote in message
news:p tSnd.5059$HA5.600615@juliett.dax.net...
> So someone saw all this fanmade stuff, went 'hey, we can make more money
> here!' and whipped up something or other(among other things, I believe, a
> set of modules that used to be free), and smacked a pricetag on it,
> completely ignoring those of us for whom across-the-border net-paying is
> off
> limits. Real community-aid, I must say.
> Leave module-making to the fans!

Where are you that it's impossible to pay for the modules?

November 21, 2004 10:19:34 PM

Maddog wrote:

> It's possible that Bioware could stop supporting NWN - heck it
> probably will but it will be a very long time before fans stop making
> modules for it.

Supporting NWN is more than making modules. As long as they are selling
modules, they are going to be developing new content[1] and will patch
any problems that might surface.

[1] Hopefully, they realize making that new content available for the
community to use is in their best interest. It will give people more
incentive to develop their own modules. They more decent modules,
the more willing people are to continue playing and to subsequently
purchase Bioware's modules.

> To be honest if you take away the bells and whistles of NWN there
> aren't very many user made modules (with the exception of a few
> persistent worlds) worth a damn (there are a few - Gagnon's Excrucio
> Eternum comes to mind as one).

I disagree with that. I've found quite a few user modules that were fun
to play. Even not counting the Hall of Fame modules, there are several
that have been decent. Not all good RPGs, but sometimes hack-n-slash
can make for an enjoyable hour or two.

- W. Citoan
--
It is by the fortune of God that, in this country, we have three benefits:
freedom of speech, freedom of thought, and the wisdom never to use either.

Maddog <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in news:41A00658.6040407@nowhere.com:

> Could I do better? No - because I don't have the imagination to make a
> good story. No - because I don't have the patience nor the will to
> take the time (many, many hours) to do one right.
>
> But there's folks out there that do - so far they just haven't.

Is there any place that matches people up? For example, I've got the
imagination. I think I'm a good writer (and enough people have agreed to
keep me employed for the past 20 years) but I can't script or skin. How
would I go about finding other people interested in putting together a
mod who do have the skills I don't?

Darryl
drakhan.com
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:11:17 AM

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 15:17:06 GMT, Barry Scott Will
<nwn_usenet@cavecreations.net> wrote:

>Barry Scott Will wrote:
>>> btw, is there anywhere the premium modules can be downloaded free?
>>

>> If there is, it's illegal.
>

>I should also mention that, even if you do download them free somewhere,
>you can't play them. Each time you load a premium module, your CD key is
>authenticated against their list of who purchased the modules. Unless
>somebody goes to the trouble of cracking the modules, there's just no point.
>
>Also, I just saw a fan site review that gave Shadowguard a 6.8 out of 10.

I bought and downloaded Shadowguard, and the update to Witches Wake.

Shadowguard is OK, I guess, but nowhere near as good as other free
modules.

I'm now playing the updated Witches Wake. It does LOOK great (skies,
terrain etc), and I'm somewhat happier about that. It cost less than
$10.00 Aussie dollars, and I got it for "completion's sake", having
bought all the NW Nights up till now, including the boxed Collectors
Edition with the T-shirt etc.

Would I buy another? Unlikely, because I hate the licensing check
every time I load a saved game or start one of the recent modules.
Fine if I'm connected to the net, but if I'm on the road with the
laptop, I'm restricted to the modules that don't check. That's
annoying, because I had to use my CD keys and jump through hoops to
get to this point already.

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."
November 22, 2004 10:54:35 PM

Darryl Riser wrote:
> Maddog <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in news:41A00658.6040407@nowhere.com:
>

>>Could I do better? No - because I don't have the imagination to make a
>>good story. No - because I don't have the patience nor the will to
>>take the time (many, many hours) to do one right.
>>
>>But there's folks out there that do - so far they just haven't.
>

> Is there any place that matches people up? For example, I've got the
> imagination. I think I'm a good writer (and enough people have agreed to
> keep me employed for the past 20 years) but I can't script or skin. How
> would I go about finding other people interested in putting together a
> mod who do have the skills I don't?
>
> Darryl
> drakhan.com

That's a great idea and it's how the big houses work - putting writers
and programmers together to make a good game.

If you're serious a good place to start would be the Bioware NWN forums.
They are an active place with many, many users and many, many different
skill levels.

--
Maddog
======
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of
the unhappy people.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 1:37:43 AM

>> Is there any place that matches people up?
> That's a great idea and it's how the big houses work - putting writers and
> programmers together to make a good game.
> If you're serious a good place to start would be the Bioware NWN forums.

Scripting forum, useful for help with scripting but as scripters are in high
demand don't expect to recruit any.
However they will help with any scripting queries.
http://cgi.nwvault.ign.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi

This ones worth a try but is primarily for getting gamers together for NWN.
http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/

I have written a mod and spent over 2 years developing it.
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000...
I worked on it with a proofreader friend so there was a fairly good team of
writing / scripting.

I'm glad someone notices little things like doors opening/closing because
all my feedback seems very negative.

Added a custom rations system instead of healing potions so PC can
hunt/build fire/cook/eat and heal but no one has even noticed.

Overly negative feedback will prevent me (and probably others) writing
anymore mods for NWN. Unless you are ready for a lot of criticism don't
write a mod as someone will disagree with the style and give negative
feedback.

I might have another go when the sequel comes out.

Only just found this group, probably going to stay for a while.
November 25, 2004 1:37:44 AM

Details are important (and it's heart warming that at least a few module
authors care about them). Unfortunately the details, the ambience, the
story line, twists and turns in a complex plot etc only matter to those
of higher intellect.

The mindless masses are happy with lots of hack'n slash, simple puzzles
and linear plots.

PC's are now in every home. Publishers are going to provide product that
appeals to the largest market because that's where the money is.
Unfortunately now a days that market is teen agers and the HS educated
peon. Anything that requires more than a smattering of thought is beyond
them.

Sad, really - PC's had such promise in the entertainment field. AI is
dumber today than it was 20 years ago. The only improvements made in the
25 years I've been gaming on a PC are in the bells and whistles of sound
and sight. What really counts has been mostly ignored.

--
Maddog
======

Alistair Davis wrote:
>>>Is there any place that matches people up?
>>
>>That's a great idea and it's how the big houses work - putting writers and
>>programmers together to make a good game.
>>If you're serious a good place to start would be the Bioware NWN forums.
>

> Scripting forum, useful for help with scripting but as scripters are in high
> demand don't expect to recruit any.
> However they will help with any scripting queries.
> http://cgi.nwvault.ign.com/yabb/YaBB.cgi
>
> This ones worth a try but is primarily for getting gamers together for NWN.
> http://www.neverwinterconnections.com/
>
> I have written a mod and spent over 2 years developing it.
> http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000...
> I worked on it with a proofreader friend so there was a fairly good team of
> writing / scripting.
>
> I'm glad someone notices little things like doors opening/closing because
> all my feedback seems very negative.
>
> Added a custom rations system instead of healing potions so PC can
> hunt/build fire/cook/eat and heal but no one has even noticed.
>
> Overly negative feedback will prevent me (and probably others) writing
> anymore mods for NWN. Unless you are ready for a lot of criticism don't
> write a mod as someone will disagree with the style and give negative
> feedback.
>
> I might have another go when the sequel comes out.
>
> Only just found this group, probably going to stay for a while.

Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:56:05 PM

> The mindless masses are happy with lots of hack'n slash

I've been known to enjoy this now and then (especially multiplayer).

> Publishers are going to provide product that appeals to the largest market
> because that's where the money is. The only improvements made in the 25
> years I've been gaming on a PC are in the bells and whistles of sound and
> sight. What really counts has been mostly ignored.

Games tend to look very slick and sound amazing. Saw advert for "Kill Zone?"
initial thought was "Looks good" but after some explanations it sounds the
same old FPS (now and then theyre ok 4 a laugh) with better graphics. No
advancement in actual gaming seems to have happened.

Havn't bought a new PC game for a while as nothing is that appealing, I want
something thats going to last (ie NWN) not a remake of 100 similar other
games. I'm not that old myself but remember games coming with a mini novel
etc and generally having some depth. With games getting better (more
powerfull / more expensive to produce) then software houses are going to
take less risks and produce less niche titles and more for mainstream
(sports sims / FPS) which has the potential of getting very boring.

Anyone tried Halo / Halo 2 they look slick but whats gameplay (& depth)
like?

Sticking to NWN I've played a few fan created mods that were dreadfull and a
few (even hack n slash) that were fairly entertaining.

If you know of any particularly good NWN mods that have a good variety in
them I'd like to hear of them, have a bit more time now own mod is finished.

If you fancy a NWN mod thats not too combat intensive try mine:
>> http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000...
Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would be
out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly entertaining.
There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas / maps
are not needed.
November 27, 2004 12:55:57 PM

Alistair Davis wrote:

>>>http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1096747788000...
>>
> Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would be
> out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly entertaining.
> There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas / maps
> are not needed.

The description looks interesting but it requires the CEP. CEP is too
big and too much hassle to maintain/update everytime Bioware changes NWN
to a higher version. In addition from everything I've read it adds its
own bugs to the game. Not worth the effort for what it provides.

--
Maddog
======
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of
the unhappy people.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 11:58:04 AM

Is there a site where you can mass download the non-premium modules? The IE
"save as" dialog gets truly annoying after a few downloads. An FTP site, or
someone who has them zipped into a single file... anything?

"Maddog" <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>> Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would
>> be out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly
>> entertaining.
>> There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas /
>> maps are not needed.
>
> The description looks interesting but it requires the CEP. CEP is too big
> and too much hassle to maintain/update everytime Bioware changes NWN to a
> higher version. In addition from everything I've read it adds its own bugs
> to the game. Not worth the effort for what it provides.
>
> --
> Maddog
> ======
> Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the
> unhappy people.

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 6:17:26 PM

Are you nuts? A mass download of 4123 modules even on a cable modem
would take hours!!!!>
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:58:04 -0600, "Adam Kroger"
<adam_kroger<nospam>@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Is there a site where you can mass download the non-premium modules? The IE
>"save as" dialog gets truly annoying after a few downloads. An FTP site, or
>someone who has them zipped into a single file... anything?
>
>"Maddog" <nunya@nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> Its based on a Fighting Fantasy book so we didn't add anything that would
>>> be out of place in that world but on the whole I think its fairly
>>> entertaining.
>>> There are large areas but if a PC sticks to the plot then all areas /
>>> maps are not needed.
>>
>> The description looks interesting but it requires the CEP. CEP is too big
>> and too much hassle to maintain/update everytime Bioware changes NWN to a
>> higher version. In addition from everything I've read it adds its own bugs
>> to the game. Not worth the effort for what it provides.
>>
>> --
>> Maddog
>> ======
>> Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the
>> unhappy people.

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 10:44:37 PM

[SNIP]
Alistair> Anyone tried Halo / Halo 2 they look slick but whats
Alistair> gameplay (& depth) like?

Alistair> Sticking to NWN I've played a few fan created mods that
Alistair> were dreadfull and a few (even hack n slash) that were
Alistair> fairly entertaining.

Alistair> If you know of any particularly good NWN mods that have
Alistair> a good variety in them I'd like to hear of them, have a
Alistair> bit more time now own mod is finished.
[SNIP]

Like another poster said, you should have a look at Elegia Eternum and
its sequel, Excrucio Eternum from Stephane Gagne. Really great and
keeps you surprised at each corner, and ambience is great as well.

--

Herve Regad-Pellagru

MS-DOS: The name further annoys those who know what the term
operating_system does (or ought to) connote; DOS is more properly a
set of relatively simple interrupt services.
!