Which one out of the three?

Rotten

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
170US$ PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply 90 - 264 V UL, cUL, CE, CB, TUV - Retail

110US$ OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W Power Supply 100 - 240 V CB/CE/CSA/UL/FCC - Retail

110US$ CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 520W Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TUV, CCC, C-tick - Retail

Ok, these are my choices. I am not running anything too fancy...

E6600
1 or 2 Sata 7200.10 HD
1 X1950 Pro
Probably ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX
1 DVD burner

And that should be about it. I realize that even 520W is a bit of overkill for the system, but I thought it would be nice to a) have space for an upgrade, b) make sure the PSU always has enough power, and most importantly, c) is reliable (i don't like nor do I have the parts to go around troubleshooting).

Now, I know the PC Silencer is the best one of the three; I've seen mpilchfamily raving about it... but I would rather pay 60 bucks less for the PSU, unless the price difference will buy me a place in heaven, or something similar.

As for the other two, I take it OCZ is good, since they make their own. It has 80 W more, for the same price. My only doubt stems from the fact that the Corsair got spectacular reviews.

I am not worrying too much on calculating A on the rails since they are all good quality PSUs and my system is conservative, so I don't have to bother, right?

Thanks a lot for the input.
Rot

the luxury tax for the pcp&c is high, I usually don't include it in builds unless it is by request. The OZC would be my choice as well for the same bang-per-buck reasons you have cited.

As far as OZC lineage, let's see... FSP makes the gameXstream, 3Y (owned by FSP?) makes the evostrem (and perhaps the proXstream but have not seen it personally just based on looks/design) and topower makes modstream / powerstream. Not sure if they make their own but it is interesting they have an exclusive UL listing.

Personally I do have a PCP&C turbo-cool 510, but I lucked out and found a dead tower server with this sitting inside! /me was happy that day!!

Rotten

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Wow, that's better than finding a 100 dollar bill in the street!

I guess the OCZ is good then? Trustworthy enough? The corsair seems like a luxury as well, too expensive for the juice it gives, but the reviews were so stellar that I had to consider it. Thanks for the input doolitle.

Any more thoughts?

Rot

Rotten

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2007
Thanks mpilch, I think I'll go with the Corsair then. The PC P&C looks great. but i can't make a case for paying so much more for it.

As it stands, with a E6600, 2 sticks of PC2 6400 RAM, 2 HDs in Raid 0, and 1 X1950Pro, 520W is more than enough power, right?

What if I want to add another GPU for a crossfire configuration, does it still hold? What if I try some moderate OCing?

I tried using the extreme power calculator app but mpilch mentioned in another topic that sometimes it over or under estimates things, so I thought it was best to just check with the Gurus here.

Thanks a lot,
Rot

TRENDING THREADS