can I use GPO's to set/reset local administrator password?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 23, 2005 7:16:26 PM

windows 2000 server sp4 AD - clients all windows 2000 sp4 and xp sp2.

can I use GPO's to set/reset local administrator password for all my client
machines?
Anonymous
March 24, 2005 10:21:04 AM

You need to visit the Microsoft Script center :

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/d...

You can use a START UP SCRIPT (applied by a group policy) to change/set the
local admin password. That is what I do here, and it works great!. I apply
the script to the default domain policy to make sure every system gets the
startup script to change the admin password.

If you ever need to change the password again, it's as simple as modifying
the script and waiting for all your workstations to reboot (or you can force
this if you are a network Nazi !)

HTH

Drum on .. .. . . .
"djc" wrote:

> windows 2000 server sp4 AD - clients all windows 2000 sp4 and xp sp2.
>
> can I use GPO's to set/reset local administrator password for all my client
> machines?

March 24, 2005 3:02:15 PM

thanks for the info!

"Drumgod" <Drumgod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You need to visit the Microsoft Script center :
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/scripts/d...
>
> You can use a START UP SCRIPT (applied by a group policy) to change/set
the
> local admin password. That is what I do here, and it works great!. I apply
> the script to the default domain policy to make sure every system gets the
> startup script to change the admin password.
>
> If you ever need to change the password again, it's as simple as modifying
> the script and waiting for all your workstations to reboot (or you can
force
> this if you are a network Nazi !)
>
> HTH
>
> Drum on .. .. . . .
> "djc" wrote:
>
> > windows 2000 server sp4 AD - clients all windows 2000 sp4 and xp sp2.
> >
> > can I use GPO's to set/reset local administrator password for all my
client
> > machines?

March 30, 2005 4:22:02 PM

Is there any chance we can get a listing of that password script? I
love this idea but I don't know how to write these yet (any good
references you can recommend, too?)

-Fran-
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:16:39 PM