group policy management console error

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 23, 2005 5:32:54 PM

when I open the group policy management console I sometimes get a message:

the rpc server is unvailable

problem is that the rpc IS available when I check services running on the
machine. I try to re-add the forest but it fails... I usually wait for 1
hour and then it's working...

any idea??

Ilann
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 1:13:16 PM

Make sure that you have network connectivity and dns name resolution to your
domain controllers. This is often a dns issue. The biggest problems are
where the domain controllers do not point to themselves or another domain
controller as their preferred dns servers and domain clients are not
pointing only to AD domain controllers as their preferred dns servers. Make
sure that ISP dns servers are NEVER in the list of preferred dns servers for
a domain computer. The support tool netdiag and checking events in Event
Viewer can be very helpful in troubleshooting such problems. Ipsec policies
or host firewalls can also interfere with a computer accessing a domain
controller. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-... --- AD
dns FAQ and guidance
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708