group policy management console error

when I open the group policy management console I sometimes get a message:

the rpc server is unvailable

problem is that the rpc IS available when I check services running on the
machine. I try to re-add the forest but it fails... I usually wait for 1
hour and then it's working...

any idea??

Ilann
1 answer Last reply
More about group policy management console error

    Make sure that you have network connectivity and dns name resolution to your
    domain controllers. This is often a dns issue. The biggest problems are
    where the domain controllers do not point to themselves or another domain
    controller as their preferred dns servers and domain clients are not
    pointing only to AD domain controllers as their preferred dns servers. Make
    sure that ISP dns servers are NEVER in the list of preferred dns servers for
    a domain computer. The support tool netdiag and checking events in Event
    Viewer can be very helpful in troubleshooting such problems. Ipsec policies
    or host firewalls can also interfere with a computer accessing a domain
    controller. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B291382 --- AD
    dns FAQ and guidance
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321708

    "Ilann" <ilann@free.fr> wrote in message
    > when I open the group policy management console I sometimes get a message:
    >
    > the rpc server is unvailable
    >
    > problem is that the rpc IS available when I check services running on the
    > machine. I try to re-add the forest but it fails... I usually wait for 1
    > hour and then it's working...
    >
    > any idea??
    >
    > Ilann

Policy Management Consoles Windows