Laptop Policy

We have a user policy that assigns a proxy server when the user logs in to
their machine. This works great. However, when they take their laptop off
site and bring it home, for instance, the proxy server is obviously not
there. So, they cannot get out on the Internet. Is there a way around this?
I should also let you know that we have restricted the ability so that they
can not go into there browser and take out or change the proxy. Thanks.

As long as they are that restricted I can't think of a workaround [other
than VPN] unless you want to give the user a local computer account but then
they could use that account to access domain resources and bypass domain
user configuration policy. You might also want to post in a Windows
networking newsgroup for possible options. --- Steve

"Joe R." <JoeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have a user policy that assigns a proxy server when the user logs in to
> their machine. This works great. However, when they take their laptop
> off
> site and bring it home, for instance, the proxy server is obviously not
> there. So, they cannot get out on the Internet. Is there a way around
> this?
> I should also let you know that we have restricted the ability so that
> they
> can not go into there browser and take out or change the proxy. Thanks.

Jordan

Instead of specifying the proxy in GP, specify it in your DHCP setup. Check
out some MS articles on "WPAD" for the proxy server that you are using.

Basically, in IE you are going to set the "Autodetect Proxy" setting and in
your DHCP server you are going to point the DHCP 252 wpad option to
http://yourproxyserver:8888 and on your Proxy or ISA server you are going to
set it to advertize its configuration on port 8888 (or whatever).

The way it will work is when your clients boot up on YOUR network, they will
get the DCHP setting to tell them to look for a proxy configuration. If the
proxy server is up and running, then they will go through the proxy.

If they are home, when they fire up IE, it will check to see if it has a
DHCP proxy setting (which it won't) and when it sees none, it will carry on
without a proxy.