Sign in with
Your question

AM I OK with HDCP? - confused need help!

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2007 7:37:37 PM

I've been reading about HDCP and it is pretty darn confusing. I was a casual gamer, but I want to step it up a notch so I'm buying (currently being built) a top of the line system. Three questions, hope this is the right forum to discuss them.

#1 I have these basic components, am I gonna have any issues with HDDVD playback if I chose to do so?

My basic components are:
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
Nvidia 8800 GTX x 2 in SLI
Intel Core quad core Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology
Windows Vista premium, clean install

The monitor I'm going to purchase soon when I get the extra $$:
UltraSharp 2407WFP Wide-Screen Black Flat Panel Monitor

Is there any other components that I need to list to be able to tell me if anything would not be HDCP compatible?
How can someone download a movie, either legally (myself) or out of curiousity illegally with this new DRM thing? Is this gonna end movie piracy? I haven't been able to watch HDDVD to this point, so it really isn't gonna change my habits, but a lot of people are pretty intense about this stuff.

Question #2:
Is HDCP or DRM really going to effect gameplay? I'm reading that it may actually slow gameplay compared to windows XP. Is this true? Are games even DRM right now?

Question #3:
I have games I currently own and games that I will be purchasing in the future to play on my new system. Is DRM going to be an issue with playing games old games and reading those discs? I guess I'm not even aware if DRM is already being applied to games (see question #2). Sorry for the redundancy. Another issue related to ease of use, I have used NoCD cracks to avoid digging through discs and for quicker boot up, ect....
Is windows vista going to put an end to these type of things?

Sorry, that was more than 3 questions. I guess this could have gone into the windows vista forum, but with the technical components, I figured it would overall be best suited to discuss here.
Any info which will help to make this less confusing to a "soon to be Newbie" high end PC gamer would be appreciated!

edit: forgot to list the CPU processor

More about : hdcp confused

January 27, 2007 7:55:34 PM

HDCP = High Definition Copy Protection

Requirements for HDCP:

1. HDCP compliant video card
2. HDCP compliant montior
3. HD-DVD or Blu Ray. (Unless the HD DRM video is on your hard drive.)

I think all 8800 series video cards have HDCP support, but just verify the specs of the ones you want to buy.

The Dell 2407WFP is not HDCP compliant. Therefore, if you want to watch copyrighted HD video on it you will need to use the S-Video or Component connections.

Games are not be affected by HDCP. Period.

You can use BitTorrent to download stuff. I use it to download the widescreen version of '24' since I only have SDTV at the moment.

Regarding game copyprotection, it is the game publisher who determines what type copy protection will be used.
January 27, 2007 8:28:20 PM

jaguarskx - thanks for your reply.

I've tried to verify the specs of the 880 GTX, but thats where my confusion really starts. They say they are HDCP compliant, but in other places I've read that doesn't mean they are HDCP "ready". I can't really find a definitive answer. I hate to put all this $$ into a system that can't even play HD!

http://www.behardware.com/articles/603-4/hdcp-the-graphic-card-and-monitor-nightmare.html

"The Dell 2407WFP is not HDCP compliant. Therefore, if you want to watch copyrighted HD video on it you will need to use the S-Video or Component connections"

This is why I'm so confused, I thought it was HDCP ready.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127284-page,1-c,monitors/article.html
"The 2407WFP has a plethora of video connections (DVI, VGA, composite, component, and S-Video), plus support for HDCP (high-bandwidth digital copy protection). The latter is a bit of future-proofing, as coming high-definition media such as Blu-ray and HD DVD discs may require an HDCP-compliant monitor for optimal viewing of content. "

By using these connections, could I then get HD DVD? What would be the point of being HDCP compliant if you can just use alternative ports and get the same HD definition?

"Games are not be affected by HDCP. Period" - is that because they are not considered "HD software" even know the resolutions could be considered as high as HD DVDs?

How will Vista impact BitTorrent downloaded material or No CD exe's?

edit: added link about Dell monitor being HDCP.
Related resources
January 27, 2007 9:00:16 PM

You'll have to find a GPU that states HDCP ready (sorry, I used "compliant" before). I think it depends on the manufacturer to make thier 8800GTX HDCP ready. You need to go to the manufacturer's website and read the specs for the phrase HDCP Ready. Don't rely on the etailer's listed specs as they can be wrong. Go to the manufacturer.

One such 8800GTX card is the XFX PVT80FSHF9 GeForce 8800GTX:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Here's a link to the specs in PDF format:
http://www.xfxforce.com/web/product/viewConfigurationDe...

If you are using S-Video or Component to watch HD content then the video resolution will automatically be lowered and the video quality (while good) will not be as prestine as from a DVI/HDCP or HDMI/HDCP connection.

I wish I could provide you with more info, but I'm also doing my own HDCP research at a leisurely pace.
January 27, 2007 9:03:07 PM

You should repost your question in the Graphics Card section of the forum. There should be more people who would be capable of answering your question.
January 27, 2007 9:06:58 PM

Thanks. I'll do that.
I appreciate all your help too!
January 27, 2007 9:15:52 PM

Quote:
The Dell 2407WFP is not HDCP compliant. Therefore, if you want to watch copyrighted HD video on it you will need to use the S-Video or Component connections.

Thats not true otherwise i wouldn't have bought my 2407WFP.
January 27, 2007 9:23:14 PM

Quote:

Thats not true otherwise i wouldn't have bought my 2407WFP.

I haven't seen any statement from Dell or any reviews that specifically states the 2407WFP is HDCP Ready.

In fact, I didn't even see any review that stated it was even HDCP compliant.
January 27, 2007 9:37:01 PM

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/06/23/Dell_Ultras...

Quote:

Specifications

* 6ms response time;
* 450cd/m² brightness;
* 1000:1 contrast ratio;
* DVI (with HDCP), VGA, Component, S-Video, Composite;
* 4x USB 2.0 ports, card reader;

* Approx. £800 (Prices vary massively depending on market conditions. Check out Overclockers and Dell itself)

How does this compare to other monitors on the market? Well, the brightness is actually 50cd/m² down from the previous 2405FPW panel, which isn't a great start. However, the new panel used has compensated for this with a very fast response time, and a good contrast ratio. This is the same as the previous model - at least it hasn't been reduced like the luminance in order to attain the faster response time. It's great to see full HDCP support on the DVI port, making this monitor compatible with the the next generation of optical and high definition content - a major advantage over the previous model.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2407WFP/4505-31...

Quote:
The 2407WFP comes HDCP-equipped, and when we connected the display to an HDTV signal, we did see some digital noise in solid backgrounds, which is expected. Form a normal viewing distance, however, the picture was clear and vivid.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/review.aspx?CIaRID=2947

Quote:
The main benefit of the ‘07’ range is HDCP compliance meaning that Dell’s monitors are the only ones that will display protected high-definition content with Windows Vita.

although the last bit of that sentence is wrong

just a few reviews after a simple google search
January 27, 2007 9:54:41 PM

The following is from Dell's support forum regarding the 2407WFP version A02, buy DELL-ChrisM:

Quote:

Does the 2407WFP support 1080i through DVI?
* No.
Does the 2407WFP support 1080p through DVI?
* No.

Does the 2407WFP support 1080p through component?
* No.
Does the 2407WFP support 1080i through component?
* Yes.
Does the 2407WFP support 720p through component?
* Yes.

I probably should have stated that there is some contradictions regarding the Dell 2407WFP's HDCP support.

Where or not it fully supports HDCP or not, it's still a very good monitor.
January 27, 2007 10:05:35 PM

it is a damn good monitor... i enjoy it everyday
January 28, 2007 2:58:26 AM

ok, i just installed a full retail version of Vista, and with Catalyst Beta drivers for Vista with my X1900 the Dell 24" widescreen supports :

720p Optimized (1152x648)
720p Standard (1280x760)
1080i Optimized (1776x100)
1080i Standard (1920x1080)

So those HD standards are a guarantee to work, can't say much else untill i get a hold of some HD DRM infected crap to test the HDCP support at different resolutions
January 28, 2007 12:17:47 PM

I don't think my 30" Apple Cinema Display does HDCP and, frankly, I don't care. HDCP is just another way of saying "bend over and let me stick it in you". No thanks. I'd rather have non hi-def content than severely limited hi-def content that requires me to actually SPEND MY MONEY to adhere to the copyright aspect of it. I'm all for copyrights or whatever, but why should I have to pay out of pocket - not to advance my performance or experience - but to subsidize your selfish paranoia?

Besides, my 65" Sony SXRD (1080p whoo!) does HDCP if I really need to watch a DVD.
January 28, 2007 1:54:05 PM

Thanks for al the info guys!

At this point, I have heard nothing but great things about the 24" Dell monitor. The only major drawback at this point seems to be the price. Compared to other 24" monitors, it's actually very reasonable. If I went smaller, of course, I could cut costs, but I've already dropped my entire retirement fund :)  into this rig, why not go all the way with the monitor too!

FYI- I heard the Vista 8800 GTX drivers are coming on Jan 30th!
January 28, 2007 2:05:05 PM

Dude, as long as you don't buy an Apple display, you can't go wrong. Apple makes *gorgeous* and great performing high quality displays, but they're also really expensive ($3,000 before tax for my 30"!).

It's just that when I visit an apple store, the powerbooks and cinema displays are always beckoning me. I just hear the chanting from the sleek looking hardware saying "here, fat boy... come buy me... touch me... feel my curves... I know you want me..."

What can I say. I have a weak tech will.
January 28, 2007 2:22:42 PM

I plan on breaking the copy protection on the HDDVDs that i OWN just so i can watch them. Pretty stupid, but I'm not gonna buy a new video card/monitor just so i can watch an already overpriced movie that I paid for.
January 28, 2007 2:38:38 PM

Here's a couple of reference articles on playing HD content on your HTPC; I've gotten into a couple "embroilments" about the difference between HDCP ready and HDCP (Vista) certified. I'm still not clear on these implications when running XP or Windows MCE, so you be the judge:

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.h...

And an Anandtech article on playing HD content:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2886&p=1

Regardless, when I bought the video card for my HTPC, I got an HDCP ready card.
!