.ADM file versions are different or not there

Jordan

I have:

- Windows 2000 Domain controllers
- Windows 2003 Servers
- W2K SP4 workstations with Office 2000
- XP Pro SP2 worksations with Office 2003.

My domain controllers have the default .ADM file in the "C:\Winnt\Inf"
folder and a lot of my existing GPs have been setup with those W2K
templates. My Windows XP workstations have a lot of newer and more .ADM
files for managing Windows, Office, Windows Update, and a few others because
these programs and utilities are installed on the workstations.

I want to manage Office and the other programs right from the Domain
Controllers without installing office or these other programs however when I
go to manage the templates they are not there (naturally) or the ones that
are there do not have a lot of the options that the new ones on my XP SP2
workstations have.

Can I just copy the ADM files on my XP SP2 with Office 2003 workstation to
the Domain Controllers and manage these programs?

What about existing policies? Do I have to copy the ADM files to their
C:\Winnt\Sysvol\Domain\Policies\{GUID} folder?

Hi,

>Can I just copy the ADM files on my XP SP2 with Office 2003
>workstation to
>the Domain Controllers and manage these programs?
>
>What about existing policies? Do I have to copy the ADM files to
their

>C:\Winnt\Sysvol\Domain\Policies\{GUID} folder?

Yes, In fact you should have the latest XP SP2 ADMs on all your
servers into C:\winnt\inf (hidden folder) and any workstations that
run Adminpak.msi. The ADM files are cumulative so they contain all the
old settings as well as the new ones. I keep updating my DC’s as soon
as the new ADM’s come out from Microsoft. You can also copy any and
all Software ADM’s into the C:\Winnt\inf folder as well. You don’t
need to update the Policies folder. When you open the Group Policies
on the server, it automatically checks the ADM and compares to the one
in the inf folder to make sure it has the most current version.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-ADM-file-versions-ftopict348961.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1105603

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

When I try to install the new ADM files (by running
admFiles_WindowsXPSP2.msi) I get the following message:

"These Group Policy Administrative Template files (.adm files) are provided
for reference only. It is recommended that you not replace the existing .adm
files, located in %windows%\inf (default location), with these
reference-only .adm files."

Is this the wrong way to install the new files?

john g