Linksys BEFSR41 router OR THE Airlink101 AR504 router ????

DENN

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
I have both of these routers (Linksys BEFSR41 & Airlink101 AR504) available to use. I have a cable connection (RR) and I use the internet for browsing and research – but, quite often spend much time downloading files among fellow workers. Please, I would appreciate any suggestions as to which router would serve my needs (use) best.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone may offer.

Logomachist

Distinguished
May 29, 2004
I can't speak from personal experience, I'm in the process of picking up my first router and setting up my first network but just from what I've seen browsing these forums I'd have to say go with the AR504.

It has high throughput as reported on the router comparison chart, it's cheap and comes highly recommended
. I may be getting this router myself.

While I couldn't find a review for the BEFSR41 on this site, I have seen a few complaints about Linksys in general and (to pluck a random review off the web) this place gives it an average customer rating of 4.7 out of 10.

So I'd say go with the Airlink101.

ITBeast

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2006
I personally have owned a BEFSR41 series router (actually still have it), I purchased it 3 years ago when the firmware was better made for 3 of my computers.

Since I am a Admin by trade and do a lot of work on the side I did a lot of downloading with it for 2 years and hardly had any trouble (Once on a long blue moon I had to reboot the router), I got equal through put on all 3 (sometimes 4) pc's.

I evtentualy retired it in Feb 2005 going with a Linksys WRT54GS Ver 2.1 because my wife wanted to be able to move around the house with her Laptop without any constraints.

However since Linksys as of Jan 2006 going over to ViOIX frimware to avoid using LINUX in thier Firmware the newer Routers that have come out with that firmware have been mostly diastrous.

If you do decide to go Linksys (The Hardware is fine, just crappy firmware) get a WRT54GL (Currently $67 at AMAZON) and flash the Memory with DD-WRT Open Source firmware (http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php). It's easy and works great.

But, If you just need a Basic Router/Switch with No Wireless capabilities I would go with the AIRLINK 101 AR504 Router. Now, I have not personally used thier Router but I have used many of thier other products and they work great for the buck.