Sign in with
Your question

first time build for gaming/overclock ~$800. need suggestion

Last response: in Systems
January 27, 2007 9:25:38 PM

well my parents old p2 has finally crapped out on them and they've decided to take my computer and let me build a new one :) . This is my first build and my first overclock so i wanted to check and make sure this setup will work and get me a decient overclock. Im looking for any suggestions, problems and improvements that this build might have.

I'm going to be using this computer mainly for gaiming and my budget is somewhere around $800. so i'm not really interested in spending alot of money for another .2 ghz on an overclock unless its gonna mean some significant fps. and i know it doesn't so i'm looking at a goal of about 3.2Ghz on either a e4300 or e6300 which seems resonable for a first build.

the setup:

cpu - e4300 or e6300 @~3.2ghz $180
ram - 1gb g.skil ddr2 800 $100
mobo - Gigabyte 965P-DS3 $125
psu - OCZ GameXStream(600w) $110 (after rebate)
cooler - COOLER MASTER RR-PCH-S9U1-GP $30
vido card - radeon x1950 pro $180
cheap case $40
old HD
old dvd/rw

for a grand total of $765

I'm having trouble deciding between the 6300 and the 4300 because they're both about the same price. the 6300 is a proven overclocker and will probably be able to reach a higher clock but the 4300 has a higher multiplier meaning i can go easier on the fsb which will ultimatly mean longer life and the possibility of 2gb of cheeper ram. i need alot of advice on this one. supposedly the 4300 will drop to $130 some time in q2 but i dont really see that happening.

i'm looking at buying only 1gb of ram. mainly because i just can't rationalize spending twice as much for something that isn't going to show twice the proformance. my question about this is how much is my final overclock going to drop if i decide to go with 2gbs of ddr2 667? or is 1gb of ddr2 800 even enough to hit 3.2 ghz?

the 965P-DS3 is a great overclocker so i'll probably go with it. i thougth about the 965P-DS3p but $70 for different transistors is questionable.

i dont know alot about psus but the OCZ GameXStream comes highly recommended but its fairly expensive so if you know of another good cheap psu that will still do the job i'll look into it.

COOLER MASTER RR-PCH-S9U1-GP. i'm not going for an insane oc so i figured this would be plenty to keep the cpu cool.

radeon x1950 pro. pretty good card to hold me over untill i can afford a dx10

i'm open to any and all advice. like i said this is my first build and overclock so i want to do all the research i can.

on a side note f@ck vista and microsoft. i'm sticking with xp for as long as i can. i see vista as a better looking xp thats just gonna eat up alot more resources. microsoft is just keeping dx10 off of xp to sell vista.
January 27, 2007 11:38:00 PM

Eh... cut yourself some breathing-room...

CPU - E4300
RAM - That stuff is fine, though with an E4300 I would say go with DDR2-667 which will be most stable with the CPU at 3ghz.
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
PSU - Look for an inexpensive Coolmax (500-watt or so)
Cooler - That should be fine, though a Zalman would be better
Video card - That looks fine (I don't know much about ATI)
Case - whatever you want, same with HD and DVD-RW

Good luck!
January 29, 2007 1:14:49 PM

yeah i did some pricing on 667 vs 800 and found only about $10 difference so i'll probably get the 800 because the 667 will only get me to 3ghz
Related resources
January 29, 2007 2:14:34 PM

Quote:
Eh... cut yourself some breathing-room...

CPU - E4300
RAM - That stuff is fine, though with an E4300 I would say go with DDR2-667 which will be most stable with the CPU at 3ghz.
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
PSU - Look for an inexpensive Coolmax (500-watt or so)
Cooler - That should be fine, though a Zalman would be better
Video card - That looks fine (I don't know much about ATI)
Case - whatever you want, same with HD and DVD-RW

Good luck!

Yeah you need 711mhz to get to 3.2ghz, so 800mhz ram is essential, plus the two are priced very similarly.

In regard to the graphics card the x1950 pro is a fine card, and if you cant afford anything better it gets top marks in that price range.

In regards to that cooler, you might also want to look into the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, as that is similarly priced and is very effective.
January 29, 2007 6:14:44 PM

well i was doing some searching on the forumz and found this psu

mushkin 550200 ATX12V 550W $75 (after rebate)

compared to the OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W it has 20A on each 12v rail as opposed to 18A but the OCZ has 4 12V rails. i'm not really sure why you would need 4 12V rails. does anyone know whats going on there? i don't really know anything about psus.

i also think i'm going to go with the Arctic Freezer 7 Pro. it has rave reviews and is the same price as the cooler master.
February 3, 2007 4:10:27 PM

alright guys i've been given the go ahead by my parents to build the above setup. so i could really use a last minute sanity check to make sure this will work. also if anyone has any last minute advice or ideas i could really use them.
February 3, 2007 4:27:16 PM

If your old drives are IDE you won't have enough channels for them.
You ideally want 1 IDE optical drive and 1 SATA hard drive.

Read up on the Power Supply section of this forum. Your new system will run fine using a $60 FSP AX450 with 2x18amp 12 volt rails or better. A power supply with 4 18amp rails can deliver twice as much 12v power (yes I'm keeping it simple).

You can get buy for now with the stock cooler (for free) if you want. The coolers that offer better than stock performance cost more money than $30.

You can overclock an E4300 to 3GHz AND the ram to 266MHz at the same time. This will require 2 sticks of DDR2 533 ram to do. The stock setting for an E4300 is 1.8GHz and 200MHz FSB, (which would only require DDR2 400).
February 3, 2007 7:02:45 PM

its an sata hard drive and im not sure about the optical drive

isn't the calculation for clock fsb X multiplier? which means 266*9 which is 2.39ghz
February 3, 2007 7:33:17 PM

Oops! :oops: 
You're right.
333x9 gives you 3GHz and would need DDR2 667.
Saturdays with Stella...
February 3, 2007 9:00:20 PM

Asus P5N-E sli has 2 ide ports so that could help you out. it also has 4 sata2 ports. and its a great overclocker
February 3, 2007 11:41:41 PM

Ultra mid-tower case for free after a $40.00 rebate (and free shipping):

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5124886?site=sr:SEARCH...

I got the same one for a budget build for my sister and it worked fine (no sharp edges and both sides come off for easy installation of the drives) and I did get the rebate after the 6-8 weeks. You do need to buy a case fan separately, but I think that is a good thing as you can get something quiet.
February 4, 2007 12:17:11 AM

I second the thought of getting by with the stock cooler for now and spend the money on a better case with good air flow seeing as your looking to overclock.
February 4, 2007 3:18:02 AM

My suggestion is get 2 sticks of RAM. 2x512 will run faster than a 1 gig stick because it uses the dual channel memory path. I would go with the E6300 to reach 3.2 mhz. rest will work great, as long as your PSU has the amps on the +12 volt rails
February 4, 2007 4:44:58 PM

The centurion is a great case with tons of positive reviews. I plan to use it in my future build which is similar to yours.

As for the mobo the Gigabyte 965p-ds3 is a great overclocker. The DS3 is the same board as the gigabyte-965p-s3 only that it has solid capacitors and last 5-6 yrs where as the S3 will last 4-5 years. By that time you will most likely have a new computer, do yourself a favor and get the S3 and save $15.

In regards to the cooler I would suggest the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro which is the same price as the cooler you provided, but is garunteed to get you 3.5ghz and has great reviews.

If your willing to wait till march there will be more DX10 cards on the market with a greater price range. All in all i think you have a good build. Goodluck!
February 4, 2007 9:07:50 PM

Quote:
The centurion is a great case with tons of positive reviews. I plan to use it in my future build which is similar to yours.

As for the mobo the Gigabyte 965p-ds3 is a great overclocker. The DS3 is the same board as the gigabyte-965p-s3 only that it has solid capacitors and last 5-6 yrs where as the S3 will last 4-5 years. By that time you will most likely have a new computer, do yourself a favor and get the S3 and save $15.

In regards to the cooler I would suggest the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro which is the same price as the cooler you provided, but is garunteed to get you 3.5ghz and has great reviews.

If your willing to wait till march there will be more DX10 cards on the market with a greater price range. All in all i think you have a good build. Goodluck!

Ok, there is no way you can estimate how long a board will last, yes, we can say that it is likely the DS3 will last longer than the S3, but its not an exact science.

Secondly, the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro will NOT get you to 3.5ghz. At that speed, you really need water cooling to get it stable, or at the very least a Tuniq tower or Zalman 9700. The freezer 7 pro is less than half the price of the aforementioned coolers, and there is a reason for that.
February 5, 2007 3:55:07 AM

actually i think i'm going to wait on purchasing an aftermarket cooler. since this is my first build i want to make sure i get everything working properly before i even try to overclock. i just want to plan for an overclock when building
February 5, 2007 3:59:43 AM

and as for the dx10, i think i'm going to wait at least a year if not more to upgrade. sure the dx10 cards are awesome but they are still in their early stages, on top of that xp will never support dx10 and i'm wary of switching to vista. so i want to wait untill they have both proven themselves before i make that kind of money commitment.
February 5, 2007 9:43:55 PM
!