problem with switch

sahiludani

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
I have an internet connection through lan, my service provider, has installed a switch on my building which is linked with a cat5 cable. But I am not able to get a connection at my place, the cable provider, informed me that it is due length of a cat5 cable which is about 120 feet long. I had a hub lying so connected the input line to my hub, and the connection is working, but i have heard there is a huge speed diff, between a hub and a switch. And also i dont believe my provider, any way in which i can make a switch work for my connection? Also does distance matter in a switch

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Cat5's maximum segment length is 100m, so 120 feet shouldnt be an issue as long as the cable is healthy.

A switch creates a seperate collision domain for each node plugged into it, which makes it easier for multiple computers to use the same connection simultaneously. If you're not connecting a dozen computers, I doubt you see a performance difference between the hub and the switch.

sahiludani

Distinguished
May 4, 2003
i am connecting 4 pc's for internet sharing only to be connected to the device.will there be any change in speed if i use a hub instead of a switch

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
You might notice a slowdown if all 4 PC's are accessing the internet simultaneously. But unless you're living with bandwidth hogs, you should be just fine.