Building my own rig. Need some serious advice. Thank you.

gurt666

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Hi everyone,

First of all let me say that I am new to these forums but after posting a question and getting such quick and good feedback from you, I allow myself to dive more deeply into the issue at hand.

So, I have decided. I am going to build my own rig.

A bit of history: ever since I remember myself I built my own computers, the last one was about 3 years ago. I recently moved to NY and decided to treat myself with a brand name computer for the first time of my life, so I went and bought a Dell XPS 600, fully decked with all the cool stuff.
I did it cause I wanted to feel what it’s like to just pay and not worry about anything but turning it on and off
It definitely worked, I now own a great rig, which runs all my games properly but…

A bit of the present: I feel like I have skipped a generation or two of technology and I can not call Dell and tell them to replace my computer with other hardware. I also learned that especially today, there are so many things to take under consideration when buying a gaming rig and that paying for them at companies like Alienware, Falcon and even Dell is impossible (for me at least), they just cost to much.

A bit about the future: so I am going to build my own gaming machine, hopefully, with your help, chose the best parts for the job and also save some big money on the way.
I do however have questions about the hows/wheres and how muchs...
I am going to list all the components that I would like to buy and then write a few of my questions regarding each.
I really appreciate your time helping me out here.

Ok, here we go, his is what I need your help with:

1. CPU
2. Mother Board
3. RAM
4. Graphics Card
5. Case
6. PSU
7. Hard Drive/s
8. Sound Card
9. Cooling

Ok, and here are my questions/thoughts:

1. CPU: AMD or Intel? The never ending story. I have always owned Intel but I have heard many people bragging about the 64bit new AMD processors.

2. Mother Board: Since I definitely want SLI, the question is Intel or Nvidia? Is there an advantage to any of them? Also, is there any technology development that’s supposed to happen soon?

3. RAM: 2Gb or 4Gb? 553 or 866 speed? Is that really important to gaming?

4. Ok, I guess that I am aiming at either one or two 8800 GTX. Is it worth waiting more for a stronger card? I know that you can ask this question and keep waiting for a lifetime but is there anything that’s supposed to be released soon? (R600). Is PCI-E 2 going to be released soon and thus render the current gfx cards useless?

5. Case: so many of them, I have no idea what to do here. ATX or BTX (what is BTX?). I don’t have any space limitations so any size works. I want a case that I can use for a long time, preferably one that I can open and close easily and that is modular.

6. 1000W or less? Which company? I think that if I am going with dual 8800 GTXs I will need 4 x 6 pin connectors right?

7. SATA? Performance RAID?

8. Probably going to with X-Fi, any importance to the model? (extreme music, gaming etc)

9. This is something that I really know almost nothing about: should I build a machine with advanced fan system and air cooling or go for water cooling? I have no experience with water cooling so I am afraid that I won’t know how to maintain a system like that.

As for over-clocking, I never did it and I am not sure if I should, would love to get some advice regarding that as well.
Please feel free to add anything else that I may have forgotten here.
I would love to know where to buy and if I shouold buy everything in one place or it doesn't matter?
Also, do you feel that a system of that magnitude would come out cheaper if built alone?

Sorry for this huge post, I just felt that I wanted to explain where I was coming from.
Thank you all very much for reading and for your help!

snake_pliskin

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Just remember all of this is IMO

CPU: No doubt a Core 2 Duo. I like amd and all but the X2's just don compare

MOBO: I think SLI is a waste if your using very high end cards unless you like bragging about 3dMark06 but if you want SLI go 680 Nvidia if not then go with P965 intel

RAM: If your not a OC'er then go 533 or 667 if you like oc'ing go with 800 and 4gig is overkill and some people even have problems

GPU: If your going to SLI which like I said is a waste IMO but I would go 2xGTS and if not got 1x8800GTX. 2xGTX is extreme overkill

Case: You have to figure out on your own but go Mid to full ATX for good room and cooling

PSU: This will power all your needs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817139002

SATA: well I hate Raid 0 for the fact if something goes wrong with one hd then all your stuff has disappeared.

Sound: Any X-FI is great

Cooling: Well I prefer a good air cooling but it's totally up to you and your needs

My Rig
------------------------------------------------
E6300 @ 2.81/1.325V
BIOSTAR P965 T-FORCE DELUXE
BFG 8800 GTS
CORSAIR XMS2 PC6400 4X512
CORSAIR 520W/TRIPLE RAILS
WDC1200JC 120GB
ACRTIC COOLER PRO 7
SB AUDIGY SE 24BIT 7.1