All User desktop GPO? HOW?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 28, 2005 8:10:03 PM

I want to create a "All User" type of Quick Launch bar and desktop for
our Telemarketing group. Each time we get a new user I have to
manually add all these icons to frequently accessed apps. Is there a
way I can create this as a GPO and push it to any computer in the
group?

I haven't found settings for this yet. Any help is appreciated.

-Fran-

More about : user desktop gpo

Anonymous
March 29, 2005 2:06:37 AM

With the default Client Side Extensions it may be tough. You could script it
to copy files etc. depending on the complexity of your needs, could be
difficult.

Third party solutions have this type of functionality. Easy, settings
filtering. Absolutely simple to meet this kind of need.

Kevin Sullivan, Product Manager
DesktopStandard
http://www.desktopstandard.com/PolicyMakerStandard.aspx

"Fran >" <<fran> wrote in message
>I want to create a "All User" type of Quick Launch bar and desktop for
> our Telemarketing group. Each time we get a new user I have to
> manually add all these icons to frequently accessed apps. Is there a
> way I can create this as a GPO and push it to any computer in the
> group?
>
> I haven't found settings for this yet. Any help is appreciated.
>
> -Fran-
April 4, 2005 2:07:04 AM

I understand I can accomplish this with a simple login script. If this
is true and anyone can provide a sample of a VBScript that I can
modify that will copy links from a folder on the server to a user's
profile on the client that would be useful

-Fran-
April 4, 2005 9:27:21 AM

Fran <<fran>> said

> I understand I can accomplish this with a simple login script. If this
> is true and anyone can provide a sample of a VBScript that I can
> modify that will copy links from a folder on the server to a user's
> profile on the client that would be useful

Just use a plain old bat or cmd file. Copy the shortcuts to \\server\share
then put the following line in the users login script: (watch for line
wrapping in your news client)

xcopy /D /Y "\\server\share\*.lnk" "%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
\Quick Launch\"

The /D will ensure the file is only copied if the server version is newer
than the destination file or if the destination file doesn't exist, and the
/Y will cause it to overwrite existing files without prompting.

--

Andy.
April 6, 2005 3:21:02 AM

I tried this using your code below. I created a QLCopy.bat file and
stored it in \\server\netlogon\

I opened the user account on the AD server and under profile I added
to LOGON SCRIPT: qlcopy.bat
(I also tried \\server\netlogon\qlcopy.bat)

Neither worked. No icons were copied to the quicklaunch bar of the
user when they logged in.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here but I can't figure out what.
Can you help?

-Fran-

!