GPO and Quota How To question

I have a server that has four physical hard drives. (hypothetical
example)
I have a group policy set up that successfully applies quotas to this
windows 2003 server.
PROBLEM: The quotas defined in the policy get set on ALL volumes on
this server. I only want them on ONE of the physical drives. How
would you do this? Is it possible?

AD is Windows 2003

"NoneOfBusiness" wrote:
> I have a server that has four physical hard drives.
> (hypothetical
> example)
> I have a group policy set up that successfully applies quotas
> to this
> windows 2003 server.
> PROBLEM: The quotas defined in the policy get set on ALL
> volumes on
> this server. I only want them on ONE of the physical drives.
> How
> would you do this? Is it possible?
>
> AD is Windows 2003

Hi,

Yes it is possible. Don’t use Group Policy to set quotas. Remove the
Quota Group Policy. Then right click the drive you want. Go to
Properties and the Quota Tab. Set Quotas here.

I have never used Group Policy to set my quotas.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-GPO-Quota-ftopict351136.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1108826

On 30 Mar 2005 13:13:13 -0500, lforbes
<UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>"NoneOfBusiness" wrote:
> > I have a server that has four physical hard drives.
> > (hypothetical
> > example)
> > I have a group policy set up that successfully applies quotas
> > to this
> > windows 2003 server.
> > PROBLEM: The quotas defined in the policy get set on ALL
> > volumes on
> > this server. I only want them on ONE of the physical drives.
> > How
> > would you do this? Is it possible?
> >
> > AD is Windows 2003
>
>Hi,
>
>Yes it is possible. Don’t use Group Policy to set quotas. Remove the
>Quota Group Policy. Then right click the drive you want. Go to
>Properties and the Quota Tab. Set Quotas here.
>
>I have never used Group Policy to set my quotas.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Lara

Thanks for the response. We have way too many users in our domain to
manage each individually so if we can do it via GPO and groups it
makes things much easier. The process appears to work IF we can narrow
it down to individual partitions or drives.

Hi,

>Thanks for the response. We have way too many users in our domain to
>manage each individually so if we can do it via GPO and groups it
>makes things much easier.

I have about 2000 users and it works fine. You can set a "starting"
limit. Eg. everyone gets 10MB. And then you can sort Via OU and then
if you have a group of users that needs more you can select groups at
a time and just increase.
Remember, you don’t have to add users to Quota Manager. It is done
automatically the minute they own files on the drive.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-GPO-Quota-ftopict351136.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1109127

On 30 Mar 2005 16:12:26 -0500, lforbes
<UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>>Thanks for the response. We have way too many users in our domain to
>>manage each individually so if we can do it via GPO and groups it
>>makes things much easier.
>
>I have about 2000 users and it works fine. You can set a "starting"
>limit. Eg. everyone gets 10MB. And then you can sort Via OU and then
>if you have a group of users that needs more you can select groups at
>a time and just increase.
>Remember, you don’t have to add users to Quota Manager. It is done
>automatically the minute they own files on the drive.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Lara
Explain please. i am all ears.
Here is how i hear it
1) Turn on Disk quotas on the volume you want with default settings so
that anyone who owns a file will get that default?
2) How do you sort and adjust by OU? Everything i have seen suggests
that group management is not possible (i.e a 20 meg group, 50meg,
etc). Qouta manager only shows users.

"NoneOfBusiness" wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2005 16:12:26 -0500, lforbes
> <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
>  >>Thanks for the response. We have way too many users in
> our domain to
>  >>manage each individually so if we can do it via GPO
> and groups it
>  >>makes things much easier.
> >
> >I have about 2000 users and it works fine. You can set a
> "starting"
> >limit. Eg. everyone gets 10MB. And then you can sort Via OU
> and then
> >if you have a group of users that needs more you can select
> groups at
> >a time and just increase.
> >Remember, you don’t have to add users to Quota Manager. It is
> done
> >automatically the minute they own files on the drive.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Lara
> Explain please. i am all ears.
> Here is how i hear it
> 1) Turn on Disk quotas on the volume you want with default
> settings so
> that anyone who owns a file will get that default?
> 2) How do you sort and adjust by OU? Everything i have seen
> suggests
> that group management is not possible (i.e a 20 meg group,
> 50meg,
> etc). Qouta manager only shows users.

Hi,

Quota Manager won’t show Groups but it WILL Show OU’s.

Open Quota Manager - View - Tick "Containing Folder". This will list
the OU’s and let you sort via OU. It will also let you multiple select
using Ctrl or Shift and you can change large selections at once.

As I said, I have 2000 Users. I move about 100 users into separate
OU’s and increase their quotas for a few months while they are working
on projects. When they are done I move them back and reduce OU.

Works great for me.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-GPO-Quota-ftopict351136.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1118424

On 4 Apr 2005 18:38:00 -0400, lforbes
<UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:

>"NoneOfBusiness" wrote:
> > On 30 Mar 2005 16:12:26 -0500, lforbes
> > <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hi,
> > >
> >  >>Thanks for the response. We have way too many users in
> > our domain to
> >  >>manage each individually so if we can do it via GPO
> > and groups it
> >  >>makes things much easier.
> > >
> > >I have about 2000 users and it works fine. You can set a
> > "starting"
> > >limit. Eg. everyone gets 10MB. And then you can sort Via OU
> > and then
> > >if you have a group of users that needs more you can select
> > groups at
> > >a time and just increase.
> > >Remember, you don’t have to add users to Quota Manager. It is
> > done
> > >automatically the minute they own files on the drive.
> > >
> > >Cheers,
> > >
> > >Lara
> > Explain please. i am all ears.
> > Here is how i hear it
> > 1) Turn on Disk quotas on the volume you want with default
> > settings so
> > that anyone who owns a file will get that default?
> > 2) How do you sort and adjust by OU? Everything i have seen
> > suggests
> > that group management is not possible (i.e a 20 meg group,
> > 50meg,
> > etc). Qouta manager only shows users.
>
>Hi,
>
>Quota Manager won’t show Groups but it WILL Show OU’s.
>
>Open Quota Manager - View - Tick "Containing Folder". This will list
>the OU’s and let you sort via OU. It will also let you multiple select
>using Ctrl or Shift and you can change large selections at once.
>
>As I said, I have 2000 Users. I move about 100 users into separate
>OU’s and increase their quotas for a few months while they are working
>on projects. When they are done I move them back and reduce OU.
>
>Works great for me.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Lara
Ok thanks. Did you implement quotas from scratch as a design
consideration when building your domain or did you do it afterwards?
Our original domain design did not include it because we were
primarily a Novell shop and did not plan to migrate those features to
ADS. They weren't needed for what we were using ADS for, but now it
has been decided that Novell is going away and we have to do it. Once
we implement quotas, will all of the existing data by users on the
volume fall under a quota or just anything new?

Hi,

>Once we implement quotas, will all of the existing data by users on
>the volume fall under a quota or just anything new?

Quota’s are done by "Ownership" of the file not by date. Therefore
when you enable Quota’s it will scan the Harddrive and find all the
files and the owners of those files. If the users "own" more files
then their quota, they will show a red exclamation saying they are
over. To remove the file from the users quota you need to take
ownership as an admin.

Remember to set the admins to unlimited or it may cause a problem.

You can choose to deny access once they have reached their quota. That
is what I do.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1122475