do all cases have a builtin speaker?

asmint3

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
Am about to build for the first time -- just got my first component, a Coolermaster Centurion CAC5, and am not clear if there's a spkr or not...

It needs a speaker so I can hear POST beeps, right?

Thx

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Am about to build for the first time -- just got my first component, a Coolermaster Centurion CAC5, and am not clear if there's a spkr or not...

It needs a speaker so I can hear POST beeps, right?

Thx
Yes that case does have a speaker for (post beeps).

sarsoft

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Am I mistaken that the POST beep comes from the motherboard?

it usually comes from the mobo thru the audio connect.
Yes the sound comes from the mobo and your case came with a small speaker so you can hear the post beeps.

I took a picture from my system. Case: TT Kandalf it came with a small speaker which you connect to the mobo system panel connector (20-8 pin panel).

dscf0654br1.jpg

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I thought so... seems strange they would make a case with a speaker then. So why do they have it?

you can also set an option in the bios so beep sounds play through the onboard soundcard through your speakers, well atleast my bios has the option lol.

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I have a Centurion 5, and I can confirm that it does not have a speaker. The POST beep (barring any weird routing through the soundcard or whatnot) comes from the motherboard itself, no case speaker needed. Some cases, notably those produced by 1st tier OEMs, do have internal speakers; yours does not.

scorch

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
My case came with a speaker, but since mine is on the mainboard I didn't hook it up. However there is a spot to plug in the speaker

asmint3

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
So my CAC5 Centurion does have a tiny little speaker -- it was hidden until I started to assemble this morning.

Thanks for the photo -- I might not have recognized it as a speaker otherwise!

asmint3

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
The photo I referred to was the one posted above, albeit from a different case. I was expecting a large speaker, not that penny-sized object.

It was installed (poorly) next to the front fan, marked on the backend of the wire as "Speaker". In the manual, it's referred to as "buzzer", part F2

[/img]

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Some mobo have speakers built into them, so you might not need to connect the tiny case speaker to your mobo. My GA-8N SLI Royal got one and annoys the crap out of me during overclocking freeze ups.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Am I mistaken that the POST beep comes from the motherboard?

it usually comes from the mobo thru the audio connect.

No, this is sometimes an option but most motherboards have a separate connector than the on-board audio just for the speaker.

PCD

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Most cases have a tiny speaker for the POST beeps (Red and Black wire). Some motherboards does not have a speaker but all motherboards have a speaker connector the same place as the power button, HDD LED etc connectors are which is usually the lower right corner of the motherboard. The Speaker connector on the motherboard is two pins separated by two pins like this .... First pin is speaker + then comes the 2 center pins that are not used and then the speaker - pin.

blunc

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
back in the dark ages of the 8088 IBM PC-junior up through 80286, 80386, 80486 and pentium (ones and twos) computer cases had internal speakers and in almost all instance there were no speakers on the mobo. programs were even written so you could play tinny tunes on the little 3 inch case speaker, heck, even the bios (cmos) battery was separate from the mobo.

in recent years mobo makers have been putting speakers (piezo buzzers) on the mobo (probably because not everyone could figure out how to connect the case speaker).