CPU fan speed control

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
i have a tuniq tower 120 and a p5b deluxe...is there any way to get the system to control the fan speed depending on cpu temperature?

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
but the thing is the fan in my tuniq is only a 3 pin connector to the motherboard, so does that mean the fan is incapable of being controlled automatically?

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
ah yes im already using speedfan but 2 things...
1) i want something that will work automatically
2) when i change the % it doesnt change the fan speed anyway

weilin

Distinguished
if you like modding... perhaps you should steal the stock cooler fan and swap it with ur tuniq fan. That way it has all 4 pins and the board will be happy. Just a thought. Not sure if it will actually work.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
i think that would work but my hsf has quite a unique design. the fan actually sits inside the heatsink, so the stock intel cooler wont fit

im thinking the reason is because of the 3/4 pin business, but even with a 3 pin fan, shouldnt the motherboard just adjust the DC voltage to the fan to change the rpm though?

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
yes cpu q-fan has been enabled and set to "optimal" in bios, but it doesnt matter what i set it to, it doesnt make a difference to the fan rpm

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I dont believe so

from what ive read, the 4th wire is for pvm which is a way of controlling the fan speed. not many fans support the 4th wire and this technology, and yet they can still be controlled by the motherboard. why? theres must be some sort of voltage regulation from the motherboard to control the speed, but why does it not work with my fan? :?

ah yes im already using speedfan but 2 things...
1) i want something that will work automatically
2) when i change the % it doesnt change the fan speed anyway

1) SpeedFan will adjust fan speed automatically if you set it up to do so.
2) You must have Q-Fan disabled in the BIOS to release control to SpeedFan.

I have a P5B-Deluxe/WiFi and SpeedFan works (v4.31 or later) just fine.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
hm, do you think maybe its because of the type of fan i have? the tuniq fan is only 3 pin, but it also has manual control in the form of a knob which mounts to the back plate slots of the pci slot area

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
hm, do you think maybe its because of the type of fan i have? the tuniq fan is only 3 pin, but it also has manual control in the form of a knob which mounts to the back plate slots of the pci slot area

just use the manual cuntrol then.

maybe set it at a meduim stting that keeps it quite and cool.
you shouldnt have to set it at full speed nor at the slowest.

i have the arcticfreezer and it has the 3pin pluged into my cpu pin
on the mobo. speedfan controls it.

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
well the manual control is quite unresponsive, its either full speed or slowest, its hard to find a middle

does speedstep need to be on in order for qfan to work?

nem2k

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
hm well ive tried it with speedstep on and off, and with a 4pin pwm fan and a 3 pin...nothing works

what are the chances of me having a faulty motherboard? everything works apart from q fan

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
its possiable. i had a new msi mobo that worked just fine until
i went dualcore. it would still work but only read one core not both.

the thing is does this bug you that much?
is it worth it to swap the mobo out?

thats up to you.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
i have the asus mobo (@4ryan6) IT WORKS :lol:
but mine is a s939 amd.

yours is the intel.

i have never used the cool&quite on mine.
and have never used an intel asus mobo with speedstep
so i am not sure.

if you see (prozac26) around i beleive he has the same mobo and could probably answer your question better than me.