X-Fi and Speaker Question

Bolero

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
Currently using the X-Fi Music Extreme with Z-680 speakers for gaming.

Sound is pretty good and am using 6 channel direct setting on the speaker control panel.

Would it make a difference changing from the Direct setting to a digital connection like an optical cable? Or is this the best I will get?

It's pretty good i have to say but I am not really up with speakers and settings......in fact I'm worse than a noob.

Anyone with an opinion?

Thanks

Bolero

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
If you are an audiophile you might pick up on the difference, but really I think most of us wouldn't notice it!

Great! Thanks for the response.....I didn't think anyone would respond.....lol.

Ok, well I will just stick with the setup I have, it's pretty good anyway but I was a bit curious.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
No point, as going to optical would limit you to 2 channel's. Or, left and right. I've got the Z-5500 and xfi, while digital/coax its really not necessary given the format you're using, adding to that the cabling to the speakers themselves are relatively open to interference anyways.

Bolero

Distinguished
May 5, 2006
There are a lot of misconceptions about digital.

Here's a complete and concise answer:

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=30&threadid=1940133&enterthread=y

Thanks Astrallite, that is a great thread and most helpful. For me I don't think there's anything I need to change then.........;-)