Loss Broadband Connection

Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my cable connection and have
to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working again. I had this
problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked. I am running XP Home
SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known drivers are up to date,
and there isn’t any problem listed in the device manager. I have uninstalled
and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton’s, run spybot searches, virus checks
with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows firewall.

Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft are clean out.

Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):

Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP Address
***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients. Clients may be unable to
access resources on the network.

More about loss broadband connection

    Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell. It
    seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    automatically blocking XP services, such as the application
    gateway layer service and basically any application that
    tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton off
    did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set was
    not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    ipconfig, using the repair button in the network properties
    (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up deleting
    the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    identified.

    "Mordechai_flip" <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote in message
    | Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my cable
    connection and have
    | to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working
    again. I had this
    | problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked. I am
    running XP Home
    | SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known
    drivers are up to date,
    | and there isn't any problem listed in the device manager.
    I have uninstalled
    | and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton's, run spybot
    searches, virus checks
    | with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows
    firewall.

    | Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft are
    clean out.

    | Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):
    |
    | Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP
    Address
    | ***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients.
    Clients may be unable to
    | access resources on the network.
    |
    | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    That sounds right, about the same time, I was having trouble with Nortions
    System Works update and uninstalled it. Is a clean install the only way to
    fix it? The idea of having to do that makes me shutter.

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell. It
    > seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    > automatically blocking XP services, such as the application
    > gateway layer service and basically any application that
    > tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton off
    > did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set was
    > not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    > ipconfig, using the repair button in the network properties
    > (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up deleting
    > the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    > install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    > identified.

    > "Mordechai_flip" <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    > | Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my cable
    > connection and have
    > | to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working
    > again. I had this
    > | problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked. I am
    > running XP Home
    > | SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known
    > drivers are up to date,
    > | and there isn't any problem listed in the device manager.
    > I have uninstalled
    > | and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton's, run spybot
    > searches, virus checks
    > | with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows
    > firewall.
    > |
    > | Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft are
    > clean out.
    > |
    > | Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):
    > |
    > | Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP
    > Address
    > | ***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients.
    > Clients may be unable to
    > | access resources on the network.
    > |
    > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    The Symantec support site has a tutorial on how to manually remove System
    Works and it helped. I was able to get back my connection after clicking
    "repair connection" when I restarted, but it still shows error when trying to
    clear the APR cache, and it doesn't start automatically like it should

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell. It
    > seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    > automatically blocking XP services, such as the application
    > gateway layer service and basically any application that
    > tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton off
    > did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set was
    > not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    > ipconfig, using the repair button in the network properties
    > (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up deleting
    > the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    > install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    > identified.

    > "Mordechai_flip" <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    > | Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my cable
    > connection and have
    > | to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working
    > again. I had this
    > | problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked. I am
    > running XP Home
    > | SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known
    > drivers are up to date,
    > | and there isn't any problem listed in the device manager.
    > I have uninstalled
    > | and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton's, run spybot
    > searches, virus checks
    > | with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows
    > firewall.
    > |
    > | Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft are
    > clean out.
    > |
    > | Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):
    > |
    > | Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP
    > Address
    > | ***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients.
    > Clients may be unable to
    > | access resources on the network.
    > |
    > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    I think that if you had the time to open Norton, find and
    manually fix each blocked application and port, you could
    fix it. My problem was that my son lives nearly fifty miles
    away and I don't have a car right now. I rode with him from
    his work and had to be back the next morning. After several
    hours trying to find the problem with his connection, I just
    ran out of time about 11:30 PM. A format and reinstall at
    that point seemed the quickest and fastest. If you have the
    time to open and read all the Norton manual, find out how to
    turn off its damn automatic features, then you can probably
    fix it.

    I just thought that I could save somebody the search for a
    reason.
    If you haven't done so, export your email settings,
    addresses and IE favorites to a floppy, CD or flash disk,
    that will save you a lot of trouble.

    wrote in message
    | That sounds right, about the same time, I was having
    trouble with Nortions
    | System Works update and uninstalled it. Is a clean install
    the only way to
    | fix it? The idea of having to do that makes me shutter.
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell.
    It
    | > seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    | > automatically blocking XP services, such as the
    application
    | > gateway layer service and basically any application that
    | > tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton
    off
    | > did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set
    was
    | > not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    | > ipconfig, using the repair button in the network
    properties
    | > (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up
    deleting
    | > the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    | > install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    | > identified.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Mordechai_flip"
    <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | > wrote in message

    | > | Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my
    cable
    | > connection and have
    | > | to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working
    | > again. I had this
    | > | problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked.
    I am
    | > running XP Home
    | > | SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known
    | > drivers are up to date,
    | > | and there isn't any problem listed in the device
    manager.
    | > I have uninstalled
    | > | and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton's, run spybot
    | > searches, virus checks
    | > | with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows
    | > firewall.
    | > |
    | > | Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft
    are
    | > clean out.
    | > |
    | > | Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):
    | > |
    | > | Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private
    IP
    | > Address
    | > | ***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients.
    | > Clients may be unable to
    | > | access resources on the network.
    | > |
    | > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    | > |

    We had the same problem with the APR cache and repair didn't
    work, neither did ipconfig. A format and clean install
    fixed everything. It occurred to me that computer repair
    shops are charging $50-75 an hour so pretty quick it would
    be cheaper to just order a new computer.

    wrote in message
    | The Symantec support site has a tutorial on how to
    manually remove System
    | Works and it helped. I was able to get back my connection
    after clicking
    | "repair connection" when I restarted, but it still shows
    error when trying to
    | clear the APR cache, and it doesn't start automatically
    like it should

    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell.
    It
    | > seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    | > automatically blocking XP services, such as the
    application
    | > gateway layer service and basically any application that
    | > tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton
    off
    | > did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set
    was
    | > not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    | > ipconfig, using the repair button in the network
    properties
    | > (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up
    deleting
    | > the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    | > install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    | > identified.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Mordechai_flip"
    <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | > wrote in message

    | > | Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my
    cable
    | > connection and have
    | > | to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working
    | > again. I had this
    | > | problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked.
    I am
    | > running XP Home
    | > | SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known
    | > drivers are up to date,
    | > | and there isn't any problem listed in the device
    manager.
    | > I have uninstalled
    | > | and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton's, run spybot
    | > searches, virus checks
    | > | with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows
    | > firewall.
    | > |
    | > | Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft
    are
    | > clean out.
    | > |
    | > | Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):
    | > |
    | > | Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private
    IP
    | > Address
    | > | ***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients.
    | > Clients may be unable to
    | > | access resources on the network.
    | > |
    | > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    | > |

    Thanks for the help. Your right, I am just going to have to buckle down and
    reinstall. I don't have to reformat the hard drive to do that will I?

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > We had the same problem with the APR cache and repair didn't
    > work, neither did ipconfig. A format and clean install
    > fixed everything. It occurred to me that computer repair
    > shops are charging $50-75 an hour so pretty quick it would
    > be cheaper to just order a new computer.

    > "Mordechai_flip" <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    > | The Symantec support site has a tutorial on how to
    > manually remove System
    > | Works and it helped. I was able to get back my connection
    > after clicking
    > | "repair connection" when I restarted, but it still shows
    > error when trying to
    > | clear the APR cache, and it doesn't start automatically
    > like it should
    > |
    > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    > |
    > | > Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell.
    > It
    > | > seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    > | > automatically blocking XP services, such as the
    > application
    > | > gateway layer service and basically any application that
    > | > tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton
    > off
    > | > did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set
    > was
    > | > not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    > | > ipconfig, using the repair button in the network
    > properties
    > | > (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up
    > deleting
    > | > the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    > | > install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    > | > identified.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | >

    > | > "Mordechai_flip"
    > <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > | > wrote in message

    > cable
    > | > connection and have
    > | > again. I had this
    > I am
    > | > running XP Home
    > | > drivers are up to date,
    > manager.
    > | > I have uninstalled
    > | > searches, virus checks
    > | > firewall.
    > | > |
    > are
    > | > clean out.
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > IP
    > | > Address
    > | > Clients may be unable to
    > | > |
    > | > |

    Maybe not, but I was just fed up with the problem and a
    format was the sure way to eliminate the issue.

    wrote in message
    | Thanks for the help. Your right, I am just going to have
    to buckle down and
    | reinstall. I don't have to reformat the hard drive to do
    that will I?

    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > We had the same problem with the APR cache and repair
    didn't
    | > work, neither did ipconfig. A format and clean install
    | > fixed everything. It occurred to me that computer
    repair
    | > shops are charging $50-75 an hour so pretty quick it
    would
    | > be cheaper to just order a new computer.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Mordechai_flip"
    <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | > wrote in message

    | > | The Symantec support site has a tutorial on how to
    | > manually remove System
    | > | Works and it helped. I was able to get back my
    connection
    | > after clicking
    | > | "repair connection" when I restarted, but it still
    shows
    | > error when trying to
    | > | clear the APR cache, and it doesn't start
    automatically
    | > like it should
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    | > |
    Dell.
    | > It
    | > application
    Norton
    | > off
    | > was
    | > properties
    | > deleting
    clean

    overcome.

    | > <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | > cable
    worked.
    | > I am
    | > manager.
    spybot
    Windows
    | > | > |
    microsoft
    | > are
    | > | > |
    stars):
    | > | > |
    Private
    | > IP
    clients.
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    I had a similar problem with NIS and that is why I removed it from my Dell
    and went with a different product. I now use Sygate and I am not having any
    problems. Not to say that NIS is a bad product...but it shouldn't be doing
    that. Norton is a good company to deal with though and has great tech
    support. Just my .02$

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell. It
    > seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    > automatically blocking XP services, such as the application
    > gateway layer service and basically any application that
    > tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton off
    > did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set was
    > not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    > ipconfig, using the repair button in the network properties
    > (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up deleting
    > the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    > install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    > identified.

    > "Mordechai_flip" <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > wrote in message
    > | Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my cable
    > connection and have
    > | to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working
    > again. I had this
    > | problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked. I am
    > running XP Home
    > | SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known
    > drivers are up to date,
    > | and there isn't any problem listed in the device manager.
    > I have uninstalled
    > | and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton's, run spybot
    > searches, virus checks
    > | with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows
    > firewall.
    > |
    > | Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft are
    > clean out.
    > |
    > | Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):
    > |
    > | Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private IP
    > Address
    > | ***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients.
    > Clients may be unable to
    > | access resources on the network.
    > |
    > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

    No you shouldn't have to reformat. Just do an uninstall from the Add/Remove
    Programs. Make sure you remove all Symantec software in the list and reboot.
    Log back in and do a reinstall from the CD. That should work fine.

    "Mordechai_flip" wrote:

    > Thanks for the help. Your right, I am just going to have to buckle down and
    > reinstall. I don't have to reformat the hard drive to do that will I?
    >
    > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    >
    > > We had the same problem with the APR cache and repair didn't
    > > work, neither did ipconfig. A format and clean install
    > > fixed everything. It occurred to me that computer repair
    > > shops are charging $50-75 an hour so pretty quick it would
    > > be cheaper to just order a new computer.
    > >

    > > --
    > > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > >

    > > "Mordechai_flip" <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    > > wrote in message
    > > | The Symantec support site has a tutorial on how to
    > > manually remove System
    > > | Works and it helped. I was able to get back my connection
    > > after clicking
    > > | "repair connection" when I restarted, but it still shows
    > > error when trying to
    > > | clear the APR cache, and it doesn't start automatically
    > > like it should

    > > It
    > > application
    > > off
    > > was
    > > properties
    > > deleting

    > > <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>

    > > cable
    > > I am
    > > manager.
    > > | > |
    > > are
    > > | > |
    > > | > |
    > > IP
    > > | > |
    > > | > |

    Yes, it has a good support page at www.SARC.com and I did
    find the NIS 2004 manual (over 4 MB PDF) and it does allow
    manual settings, but the default automatic settings are just
    too aggressive. Plus, even when we turned the program off,
    it still held the settings and did not release the ports and
    applications.

    Zone Alarm is much easier to use and is an excellent
    firewall.

    "Hunter B" <HunterB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    |I had a similar problem with NIS and that is why I removed
    it from my Dell
    | and went with a different product. I now use Sygate and I
    am not having any
    | problems. Not to say that NIS is a bad product...but it
    shouldn't be doing
    | that. Norton is a good company to deal with though and
    has great tech
    | support. Just my .02$
    |
    | "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    |
    | > Just had ands solved a similar problem on my son's Dell.
    It
    | > seems that an update to Norton Internet Security was
    | > automatically blocking XP services, such as the
    application
    | > gateway layer service and basically any application that
    | > tried to connect to the Internet. Even turning Norton
    off
    | > did not fix the problem, what ever registry that it set
    was
    | > not reset. After several days of trying to reset with
    | > ipconfig, using the repair button in the network
    properties
    | > (cache could not be cleared, didn't work) ended up
    deleting
    | > the C: partition (just OS and apps) and doing a clean
    | > install. It was during this that Norton problem was
    | > identified.
    | >

    | > --
    | >

    | > "Mordechai_flip"
    <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | > wrote in message

    | > | Every time I have to restart my computer I lose my
    cable
    | > connection and have
    | > | to use ipconfig then ipconfig /renew to get it working
    | > again. I had this
    | > | problem earlier, and nothing I have tried has worked.
    I am
    | > running XP Home
    | > | SP2 with a USB cable modem, and no router. All known
    | > drivers are up to date,
    | > | and there isn't any problem listed in the device
    manager.
    | > I have uninstalled
    | > | and re installed Zone Alarm and Norton's, run spybot
    | > searches, virus checks
    | > | with up to date programs,and turned off the Windows
    | > firewall.
    | > |
    | > | Any other ideas? I, my cable company, and microsoft
    are
    | > clean out.
    | > |
    | > | Error Log (there was and address, I put in the stars):
    | > |
    | > | Unable to contact a DHCP server. The Automatic Private
    IP
    | > Address
    | > | ***.***.***.*** will be assigned to dial-in clients.
    | > Clients may be unable to
    | > | access resources on the network.
    | > |
    | > | For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    | > | http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    | > |

    I would set the firewall to a low setting before
    uninstalling, in case the uninstall of NIS left the ports
    blocked.

    | No you shouldn't have to reformat. Just do an uninstall
    from the Add/Remove
    | Programs. Make sure you remove all Symantec software in
    the list and reboot.
    | Log back in and do a reinstall from the CD. That should
    work fine.

    | "Mordechai_flip" wrote:
    |
    | > Thanks for the help. Your right, I am just going to have
    to buckle down and
    | > reinstall. I don't have to reformat the hard drive to do
    that will I?

    | > "Jim Macklin" wrote:
    | >
    | > > We had the same problem with the APR cache and repair
    didn't
    | > > work, neither did ipconfig. A format and clean
    install
    | > > fixed everything. It occurred to me that computer
    repair
    | > > shops are charging $50-75 an hour so pretty quick it
    would
    | > > be cheaper to just order a new computer.
    | > >

    | > > --
    | > > The people think the Constitution protects their
    rights;
    | > > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    | > >

    | > > "Mordechai_flip"
    <Mordechaiflip@discussions.microsoft.com>
    | > > wrote in message

    | > > manually remove System