Sign in with
Your question

My Rig - Please Comment for Tips: E6400 @ 3.2Ghz

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2007 11:50:02 PM

I just wanted a bit of help for some optimization to my rig. I followed the guide: Core2Duo Overclocking Guide v1.1 and I've found a stable 3.2Ghz running the Prime95 for 2 hrs. I also looped 3DMark 2006 for 5 loops.

*The program Core Temp never got above 55C for either core. (load)
*Voltage: 1.344v
*FSB: 400.0Mhz
*Final Clock Speed: 3.2Ghz
*SpeedFan went up to 52C (Load)
*Idle 41C

My Hardware:
CPU: E6400
MO: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 (Flashed to F7)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB - DDR2 1000 (PC28000) 5-5-5-15
FAN: Zalman 9500 LED

I went into my BIOS, changed the settings on the guide, although I didn't see alot of them. I also couldn't find the setting to set the RAM voltage to v2.2

Basically, I want to know if those voltage are 'safe', if the temperatures are safe. I googled for about 60min last night & on this form and I couldn't find 'stock' temperatures for the E6400 at idle/full load. I set my system to 425FSB, it posted at 3.4, but windows began to spontaneous reboot. Since my RAM is capable, and my temp is cool (I think), I think it's a BIOS setting that I'm not familiar with. Any help would be appreciative. I'm trying to find the fastest speed, then click it about 200mhz below it. I want the CPU to last 3-5 yrs.

------------------
Should have posted in the overclocking threads, can a mod please move this? Thanks.
January 28, 2007 12:08:27 AM

Hmm, nice OC. Have you tried dropping the VCore to see how low you can get it to go and still be stable at that speed? Its a nice test to see the capabilities of your CPU and its true overclocking potential.
January 28, 2007 12:15:06 AM

Quote:
Hmm, nice OC. Have you tried dropping the VCore to see how low you can get it to go and still be stable at that speed? Its a nice test to see the capabilities of your CPU and its true overclocking potential.

I started using the FAQ, and set it to: E6400=1.375v, My reported voltage is with CPU-Z. Should I try to lower it in the BIOS to: 1.370v?

This is exactly what I wanted to know.. .once I get an o/c to reduce the voltage enough so it is still stable.
Related resources
January 28, 2007 12:25:23 AM

Quote:

I started using the FAQ, and set it to: E6400=1.375v, My reported voltage is with CPU-Z. Should I try to lower it in the BIOS to: 1.370v?

This is exactly what I wanted to know.. .once I get an o/c to reduce the voltage enough so it is still stable.
Beautiful. You get it. Wusy would be proud. If you are up to it, set to stock speed and drop you VCore as much as possible within the stability zone. From there you can calculate the voltage to FSB, and from there OC using those results. :) 
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
January 28, 2007 12:35:41 AM

You may have reached the limits of your motherboards FSB.

I have the same memory. I am runnning it at 380 MHz with 3-3-3-7 timing at 2.1 volts.

john
January 28, 2007 12:38:37 AM

I've managed to lower the voltage down to: 1.312v Any lower and Prime '95 dies within an hour. I just discovered I was only running 1 instance of Prime '95, since I have a Dual Core, I should be running two right?

So I'm going to re-run the tests tonight again at this voltage. Using 1 instance of P95 went over 8hrs straight without error, temp never went about 55c, but idle 45c.

Next I plan to run 3DMark2K6 in a loop for about 6 hrs. I feel that if it stays solid, I'm good to go.

I just wanted to say thanks for the tip about lowering the voltage, that will help exend the life greatly. Along with the tip about my motherboard may be maxed out at FSB. Every time I se it to 425FSB, it black screens, and in about 30 secs the BIOS reverts back to stock. I feel 3.2Ghz is great with that low of a voltage, so I won't push it anymore.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2007 1:07:52 PM

Quote:
...temp never went about 55c, but idle 45c.

If you would like to see how your temps compare, check out the following:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps. 8)
February 13, 2007 1:16:29 PM

damn! My E6400 SUX!
it needs 1.47v for 3.2Ghz! :cry: 
February 13, 2007 2:02:38 PM

You definitly want to run 2xPrime95, as 1x will not give you an accurate temperature reading for load. Use 2xP95 with the (cut me some slack as Im going from memory) small FFT test (the one that is heavy on the cpu) will give you the highest load temperature. You want to try that for a few hours and see how it goes.

I have a similar setup to yours, E6400 w/DS3 mb, but I have cheaper 800 MHz ram. Similar fan as well. I bought it back in Aug/Sept, and really only pushed the OCing in Sept until I found a decent sweetspot. Since I tested it back then I was using maybe around the F3 bios revision, but it should still be close to what you're doing. I ended up finding I could push to about 425 FSB before I had problems, and that was using a 0.1V bump on the chipset and such (I think thats what the guide you mentioned suggests). I had my VCore up to 1.4ish volts trying to get it past the 425-430ish barrier and couldnt, which made me think that my problem was either RAM or motherboard based. I have read about others getting a higher FSB than that though, so I wonder if you might be able to get a bit more out of it.

In any case, after playing for a while I eventually decided to settle my system down at around 400-405 FSB (so just over 3.2GHz), and I only needed a VCore of around 1.3325 or something like that (I think it was 2 or 3 steps up from the stock voltage, I cant remember the exact number). This seemed to keep the temperatures pretty reasonable and still scream for performance. If you kept it around that range, you could even have the 2.5 multiplier on the RAM and have your RAM sitting pretty much exactly at stock (of course, you could also push it a bit further too if you wanted to get more out of the RAM). Perhaps a good test for you might be to put the RAM multiplier to 2, the CPU to 7x, and then try to bring your FSB up above that 425ish range and see if it works. Both your RAM and CPU should be just fine at that level, so if you still cant get it above 425 Id say you've found your bottleneck. You can also try playing with the FSB voltage a little bit too, bumping it a bit more might get you more headroom.

Hope this helps
February 13, 2007 2:05:30 PM

Quote:
damn! My E6400 SUX!
it needs 1.47v for 3.2Ghz! :cry: 

WOW, thats a TON. Are you really sure it needs to be up that high? Have you tried bringing it back and checking stability? Thats about 0.13V higher than I have mine, and I dont think mine was particularly special. If all your ducks are in a row Ill believe you, but it really seems like something is off there... Maybe a setting isnt correct or something, I dont know.
February 13, 2007 2:15:40 PM

Quote:

I got my E6400 down to 1.3625v @3.41 GHz (426 MHz FSB), Prime95 stable, both cores loaded. As you can see in my sig, I have the same motherboard and cooler as you. You might get similar results. My CPU idles at 46C and loads at 60C with the CPU fan running at 80% throttle.

With the DS3, the memory voltage isn't expressed as "1.8v" or whatever. It defaults to 1.8v to start and lets you bump it up in 0.1v increments. If you want 2.1v, choose the "+.3" setting for a total of 2.1v.
!