Directv HD Chanels

Does anyone know when or ? DTV will add more HD chanels to compete with Dish
& Voom??
10 answers Last reply
More about directv chanels

    My understanding of the situation is that right now DirecTV doesn't have
    the available bandwidth. It takes approx 8x as much bandwidth to carry an
    HD video signal as it does a regular channel. The other situation is that
    frankly there just isn't that much HD programming available yet. Example,
    look at Voom, offering all those old, old movies and HD "demo" channels
    just to have something to call "HD".

    Voom may be your idea of HD but it certainly isn't mine.

    HD just for the sake of it being in HD is not what the majority of viewers
    want. Consumers want their favorite channels and their favorite programs
    in HD. Right now that equates to only the evening/prime time major
    networks, which are available free off the air with an OTA antenna, which
    in most (but not all) cases, has to be installed outside to get decent
    reception. Each of the major networks currently has only 2-3 hours of
    nightly HD programming.

    Compare current 'HD' programming to how it was with color programming in
    the 1960s. Aside from evening prime time shows, everything was in black
    and white. This situation didn't change overnight, either. It was a good
    10 years before B&W broadcasts finally became the exception rather than
    the rule.

    Considering the investment that has to be made on the broadcaster's part,
    I wouldn't look for 'HD' to become commonplace anytime soon.

    --
    Support XM Satellite Radio!
    Tell the FCC how you feel about the Natl Assn of Broadcasters'

    MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote:
    > My understanding of the situation is that right now DirecTV doesn't have
    > the available bandwidth. It takes approx 8x as much bandwidth to carry an
    > HD video signal as it does a regular channel. The other situation is that
    > frankly there just isn't that much HD programming available yet. Example,
    > look at Voom, offering all those old, old movies and HD "demo" channels
    > just to have something to call "HD".
    >
    >I'd like to see INHD on DTV.
    Chip

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    <cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message
    > MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote:
    >> My understanding of the situation is that right now DirecTV doesn't have
    >> the available bandwidth. It takes approx 8x as much bandwidth to carry an
    >> HD video signal as it does a regular channel. The other situation is that
    >> frankly there just isn't that much HD programming available yet. Example,
    >> look at Voom, offering all those old, old movies and HD "demo" channels
    >> just to have something to call "HD".
    >>
    >>I'd like to see INHD on DTV.
    > Chip

    Isn't INHD partially owned by Comcast? I doubt they are gonna sell it to
    Direct TV at any price.

    "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:
    > <cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > MrFixit@msn.com (Mr Fixit) wrote:
    > >> My understanding of the situation is that right now DirecTV doesn't
    > >> have the available bandwidth. It takes approx 8x as much bandwidth to
    > >> carry an HD video signal as it does a regular channel. The other
    > >> situation is that frankly there just isn't that much HD programming
    > >> available yet. Example, look at Voom, offering all those old, old
    > >> movies and HD "demo" channels just to have something to call "HD".
    > >>
    > >>I'd like to see INHD on DTV.
    > > Chip
    > >

    > Isn't INHD partially owned by Comcast? I doubt they are gonna sell it to
    > Direct TV at any price.

    Didn't know that. You're probably right.

    "John Anderson" <chops9x@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:<VfWdnRahLtTqrl_dRVn-gQ@adelphia.com>...
    > Does anyone know when or ? DTV will add more HD chanels to compete with Dish
    > & Voom??

    DirecTV has no history of giving much advance notice of when new
    channels will be added (HD or otherwise). I am switching to VOOM. At
    49.50 (VOOM + 9.50 equip rental), it is comparable to DTV (33.95 +
    10.99), and there is more HD, including Bravo & TNT (not available on
    DTV). Since my wife has cable for her UPN & WB channels which are not
    available on DTV or VOOM, my analysis indicates that I will only lose
    3 channels that I actually watch.

    Regarding the outdated movies comment, in reality, one of the DTV
    channels is HDNet Movies, and that is replaced by 10 similar channels
    on VOOM. With no hardware to buy & no commitment, there is really no
    downside to switching. I am also under the impression that VOOM has
    more bandwidth with which to expand.

    I will keep DTV around for the NFL package & the sports channels in
    the Fall (for college football shows & volleyball, my avocation).

    Just my opinion & rationale. I will know more after the June 14
    installation.

    Dale

    If Comcast tried withhold programming from DirecTV, expect the FCC to get
    involved.
    In the recent Fox buyout of DirecTV, the FCC made sure that Fox couldn't use
    their position as a content provider to competitive advantage.

    > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:
    > > <cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message

    > > > Chip
    > > >

    > > Isn't INHD partially owned by Comcast? I doubt they are gonna sell it to
    > > Direct TV at any price.
    >
    > Didn't know that. You're probably right.
    > Chip

    Its pretty certain that D* will add more HD channels in the near future,
    maybe next month. they just launched a new satellite given them more
    bandwidth. They are concentrating now on adding new markets and
    (apparently) moving some markets from the 101 satellite to the new 119
    satellite.

    Vince Stone wrote:
    > If Comcast tried withhold programming from DirecTV, expect the FCC to
    > get involved.
    > In the recent Fox buyout of DirecTV, the FCC made sure that Fox
    > couldn't use their position as a content provider to competitive
    > advantage.
    >

    > <cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message
    >> "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:
    >>> <cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message

    >>> Isn't INHD partially owned by Comcast? I doubt they are gonna sell
    >>> it to Direct TV at any price.
    >>
    >> Didn't know that. You're probably right.
    >> Chip
    >>
    >> --
    >> -------------------- http://NewsReader.Com/ --------------------
    >> Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    Comcast already withholds programming from DirecTV and has already won
    the lawsuit filed by DirecTV. So there is precedence for them keeping
    their stations of the satellite if they want to.

    The Philadelphia local sports station is Comcast SportsNet and is owned
    by Comcast. It shows all Phillies games during the week. Most (if not
    all) local markets come with the local sportsnet station, except for
    Philadelphia.

    So by switching to DirecTV, I lose most Phillies games. MLB Extra
    innings games where the Phillies play are blacked out. And the sportnet
    station is not available with basic cable. I would need to spend another
    $30/month to get the Phillies games.

    DirecTV sued to get the station, but Comcast won. I haven't read the
    decision, but as a consumer, I don't understand how they won.

    --
    David G.

    The reason Comcast won is because the affected channel was being
    transmitted ENTIRELY by terrestrial means (a.k.a. fibre-optic cable).If
    they had used satellite at all, their argument for denying the regional
    sports channel from DirecTV would have been less than compelling and
    DirecTV most likely would have prevailed in that instance.The court
    seemed to buy the argument that Comcast did not have to let DirecTV
    "tap" into their WHOLLY OWNED(proprietary) means of delivery.The
    satellite airwaves as such are classified as a public transmission
    domain (even though carriers charge fees to use the infrastructure) so
    if you transmit by this delivery method,no access market restrictions
    can be applied.

    Besides, Cox is the local cable company and they carry it.
    Chip

    "Vince Stone" <vstone@spamadelphia.net> wrote:
    > If Comcast tried withhold programming from DirecTV, expect the FCC to get
    > involved.
    > In the recent Fox buyout of DirecTV, the FCC made sure that Fox couldn't
    > use their position as a content provider to competitive advantage.
    >
    > <cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > "Charles Tomaras" <tomaras@tomaras.com> wrote:
    > > > <cjdaytonjr@cox.net> wrote in message

    > > > Isn't INHD partially owned by Comcast? I doubt they are gonna sell it
    > > > to Direct TV at any price.
    > >
    > > Didn't know that. You're probably right.
    > > Chip
    > >
    > > --
    > > Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB

HDTV TV HD Home Theatre Product