Force Logoff in XP

All,
I have read similar issues as this one on forcing a logoff using
winexit.scr and there seems to be a common theme of it not working. I
may have a different situation. Any help would be appreciated.

I have an AD domain using Group Policy to enforce certain screensaver
requirements. I now have one machine that serves as a kiosk that I need
to implement a logoff setting on. The users will be logging onto this
machine as well as their own desktop on the network. Therefore, I
cannot implement a new OU with a user defined GP because they cannot be
logged off after x minutes of inactivity on their machines. I have read
about ADM files as well as local policies, but none seem to be working
correctly. I am willing to try almost anything including a third party
tool to accomplish this need. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about force logoff

    I'm not sure about why logoff settings may or may not work, but, by using
    Loopback processing you can create a GPO with User Configuration settings
    that will only be applied when the user logs on to a computer that is in the
    scope of the GPO.

    See
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=231287
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=260370

    --
    Bruce Sanderson MVP

    It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

    "Mark" <mlockett@alfains.com> wrote in message
    > All,
    > I have read similar issues as this one on forcing a logoff using
    > winexit.scr and there seems to be a common theme of it not working. I
    > may have a different situation. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > I have an AD domain using Group Policy to enforce certain screensaver
    > requirements. I now have one machine that serves as a kiosk that I need
    > to implement a logoff setting on. The users will be logging onto this
    > machine as well as their own desktop on the network. Therefore, I
    > cannot implement a new OU with a user defined GP because they cannot be
    > logged off after x minutes of inactivity on their machines. I have read
    > about ADM files as well as local policies, but none seem to be working
    > correctly. I am willing to try almost anything including a third party
    > tool to accomplish this need. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    This sounds like it may work for my need. One problem I have run into
    is the fact that winexit.scr has settings that need to be changed on
    the local desktop. Therefore, it is recommended to create an ADM file
    instead of using direct GPO. I think I have found a way around that
    though. Thanks for your feedback and I will let you know how it turns
    out.

    The GPO is now working as it should. However, when using winexit.scr
    there are settings that have to set on the client. You cannot set these
    in GPO. The settings include forcing programs to terminate which is a
    must. How can I get this setting to each new user that logs on to this
    computer without manually changing it?

    You might consider building and using a custom ADM.

    I'm not familiar with the settings to force applications to end; where
    exactly are these settings?

    --

    > The GPO is now working as it should. However, when using winexit.scr
    > there are settings that have to set on the client. You cannot set these
    > in GPO. The settings include forcing programs to terminate which is a
    > must. How can I get this setting to each new user that logs on to this
    > computer without manually changing it?

    The force programs to terminate is actually a setting within the logoff
    screensaver winexit.scr. I have read where an ADM file is recommended,
    but I have never created one on from scratch. I will look into doing
    that. Thanks for the reply.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy (More info?)

    Here's some links I have on my web site at
    http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/WindowsGeneralWeb/links_to_gpo_information.htm
    that you might find useful.

    Group Policy in Windows Server 2003 - links to several Group Policy
    documents

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/gp/default.mspx

    White paper on implementing registry-based group policy for applications -
    how to and some best practices for building application specific Group
    Policies and custom Administrative Templates Windows 2000 version

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbppaper.aspWhite paper on implementing registry-based group policy for applications -how to and some best practices for building application specific GroupPolicies and custom Administrative Templates Windows 2003 version http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D72FA1-62FE-4358-8360-8774EA8DB847&displaylang=en--Bruce Sanderson MVPIt's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question."Mark" <mlockett@alfains.com> wrote in messagenews:1112884674.289646.144140@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...> The force programs to terminate is actually a setting within the logoff> screensaver winexit.scr. I have read where an ADM file is recommended,> but I have never created one on from scratch. I will look into doing> that. Thanks for the reply.>

Policy Windows XP Windows