Custom ADM Template

I want to create a policy that would configure the XP SP2 Firewall on a user
by user basis. Right now it looks like it will only do it with the computer
ADM template. Anyway I thought that creating my own ADM template with it
removed from the computer ADM and add it to the user ADM. Where is this
setting?
I have been looking through the default ADM templates with no success.

Thanks,

Mike B.

Firewall settings are per computer, not per user. There is no way to apply
the XP SP2 firewall settings on a per user basis. Even if you build a
custom adm that "applies" settings to a user account, Windows XP SP2 will
ignore them. Support for policies has to be included in the OS (or in
application) for settings in a GPO to be useful.

The firewall settings specification is in the Windows XP SP2 version of
system.adm. On a Windows XP SP2 computer, look in
%systemroot%\system32\inf\system.adm. Search for wf_profile_domain.

The Windows XP SP2 version of the .adm files can be downloaded from
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=92759d4b-7112-4b6c-ad4a-bbf3802a5c9b&DisplayLang=en.

Why do you want to apply different firewall settings to different users?
Perhaps there is an alternate method to reach the desired objective.

--
Bruce Sanderson MVP

It's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question.

"Mike B." <MikeB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to create a policy that would configure the XP SP2 Firewall on a
>user
> by user basis. Right now it looks like it will only do it with the
> computer
> ADM template. Anyway I thought that creating my own ADM template with it
> removed from the computer ADM and add it to the user ADM. Where is this
> setting?
> I have been looking through the default ADM templates with no success.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike B.

TRENDING THREADS