group policy setting for best performace

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

What would be the easiest way of using group policy to set a newly installed
winxpsp2 install to best performance with the desktop knocked back to
classic.

I have looked thorugh numerous newsgroups and website but it appears this is
not possible. I have tried to force the desktop theme with the relevant user
ploicy but this does not apply even though other user policies do. The only
other threads I have seen with the problem similar to mine also have no
solutions.

Anyway i havent seen this thread since 2004 so maybe someone had an update.

here's hoping.
2 answers Last reply
More about group policy setting performace
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

    I know you have not recieved and answer for a while. Hoe this helps.

    1. GPEDIT.MSC
    2. user config.
    3. Admin Templates
    4. Control Panel
    5. Display
    6. Desktop Themes
    7. "Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic"
    8. Enable and do not set a path.

    This might work. Saw this while working on something else for my company.
    I lock some systems down using local policies. No MS Domain yet.

    "neilalastair" wrote:

    > What would be the easiest way of using group policy to set a newly installed
    > winxpsp2 install to best performance with the desktop knocked back to
    > classic.
    >
    > I have looked thorugh numerous newsgroups and website but it appears this is
    > not possible. I have tried to force the desktop theme with the relevant user
    > ploicy but this does not apply even though other user policies do. The only
    > other threads I have seen with the problem similar to mine also have no
    > solutions.
    >
    > Anyway i havent seen this thread since 2004 so maybe someone had an update.
    >
    > here's hoping.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

    Many thanks for your reply.

    I have tried this before but for some reason I cannot get the policy to
    apply.

    I know my group policies are working because I have other withing the same
    GPO that are fine. But this particular one about applying a theme or rather
    the lack of one just wont apply.

    I wonder if i need to also enable another policy somewhere else.

    I have seen other threads refering to this issue but no answers there
    either.

    Any help would be greatly appreciated

    "William from Jersey" <WilliamfromJersey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:5E2B7C34-CA4E-46FC-BAEB-E302C591AAE2@microsoft.com...
    >I know you have not recieved and answer for a while. Hoe this helps.
    >
    > 1. GPEDIT.MSC
    > 2. user config.
    > 3. Admin Templates
    > 4. Control Panel
    > 5. Display
    > 6. Desktop Themes
    > 7. "Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic"
    > 8. Enable and do not set a path.
    >

    > This might work. Saw this while working on something else for my company.
    > I lock some systems down using local policies. No MS Domain yet.
    >
    > "neilalastair" wrote:
    >
    >> What would be the easiest way of using group policy to set a newly
    >> installed
    >> winxpsp2 install to best performance with the desktop knocked back to
    >> classic.
    >>
    >> I have looked thorugh numerous newsgroups and website but it appears this
    >> is
    >> not possible. I have tried to force the desktop theme with the relevant
    >> user
    >> ploicy but this does not apply even though other user policies do. The
    >> only
    >> other threads I have seen with the problem similar to mine also have no
    >> solutions.
    >>
    >> Anyway i havent seen this thread since 2004 so maybe someone had an
    >> update.
    >>
    >> here's hoping.

Policy Desktops Microsoft Windows