group policy setting for best performace

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

What would be the easiest way of using group policy to set a newly installed
winxpsp2 install to best performance with the desktop knocked back to
classic.

I have looked thorugh numerous newsgroups and website but it appears this is
not possible. I have tried to force the desktop theme with the relevant user
ploicy but this does not apply even though other user policies do. The only
other threads I have seen with the problem similar to mine also have no
solutions.

Anyway i havent seen this thread since 2004 so maybe someone had an update.

here's hoping.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

I know you have not recieved and answer for a while. Hoe this helps.

1. GPEDIT.MSC
2. user config.
3. Admin Templates
4. Control Panel
5. Display
6. Desktop Themes
7. "Load a specific visual style file or force Windows Classic"
8. Enable and do not set a path.

This might work. Saw this while working on something else for my company.
I lock some systems down using local policies. No MS Domain yet.

"neilalastair" wrote:

> What would be the easiest way of using group policy to set a newly installed
> winxpsp2 install to best performance with the desktop knocked back to
> classic.
>
> I have looked thorugh numerous newsgroups and website but it appears this is
> not possible. I have tried to force the desktop theme with the relevant user
> ploicy but this does not apply even though other user policies do. The only
> other threads I have seen with the problem similar to mine also have no
> solutions.
>
> Anyway i havent seen this thread since 2004 so maybe someone had an update.
>
> here's hoping.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windows.group_policy (More info?)

Many thanks for your reply.

I have tried this before but for some reason I cannot get the policy to
apply.

I know my group policies are working because I have other withing the same
GPO that are fine. But this particular one about applying a theme or rather
the lack of one just wont apply.

I wonder if i need to also enable another policy somewhere else.

I have seen other threads refering to this issue but no answers there
either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

"William from Jersey" <WilliamfromJersey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5E2B7C34-CA4E-46FC-BAEB-E302C591AAE2@microsoft.com...