Sign in with
Your question

New Quad Core System and a little assistance sought please

Last response: in Overclocking
January 28, 2007 5:28:09 AM

Hi,

After a period of some 8 years i finally decided to bite the bullet and make myself a new system, however i seem to be encoutering some problems and would appreciate any help.

First of all Specification:
Case:Silverstone Grandia GD01MX
PSU:Enermax Galaxy 1000W
Motherboard:Abit AW9D-Max
CPU:Intel QX7600 Extreme Quad Core
Memory:Corsair Dominator XMS2 8500 DDR2 4GB (4x 1GB Modules+Cooler Fan)
GFX Card:EVGA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Sound:Creative X-Fi Elite Pro
Hard Disk 1: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Disk 2: Western Digital Raptor X 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Disk 3:Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA
Hard Disk 4:Seagate Barracuda 750GB 7,200 RPM SATA
Optical Drive:Plextor PX-760SA DVD RW SATA
CPU Cooler:Silverstone NT06 v2 Cooler
Keyboard:Logitech diNovo Edge
Mouse:Logitch MX Revolution

I think that about covers everything.

The Problem:
1. Initially i purchased Windows Vista 64Bit Ultimate Edition to use with this system, however it just refused to install. With multiple attempts and alot of useless and rather meaningless messages not helping to find the cause of why it did not wish to finalise the install. I have kind of given up on this for now till MS has used the rest of the world as its guinea pigs.

2. Now here is were it kind of gets a little confusing for me. My install drive is one of the Western Digital drives for its speed and performance. However even though on boot up my system detects the other drives, i am unable to see them in the disk manager in XP. i did note however they are showing in something on boot up called SataLink.
Would appreciate any advise as to how to get these visible and active to the operating system (which at present is windows xp pro)

3. Although the system to be working like a dream in everything i have thrown at it, i seem to be getting a error if i try to load up WOW, with a error 132. Which again i cannot seem to work out what this could possibly be.

Things i have tried:
updating:
i) Drivers
ii) Firmware were appropriate
iii) Latest Version of Direct X

I did not include a floppy drive in the build and the system is in no way overclocked everything is left as per factory standard shipped. I think that about covers everything i can think of.

Thank you all in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

(ps. seems when you ask if a product will fit into an ATX case these days it means something else, had a complete nightmare fitting in the the PSU and GFX card, which actually required some cutting into the internals of the case to fit and alot of cut fingers to clean and tidy up cabling!... teach me to wait so long prior to upgrading my machine)

Thanks!
January 28, 2007 6:16:11 AM

Sorry a quick question i also wished to ask:

What kind of CPU Core temps should i be looking to keep the system at ideally when idle and under load.

I think at present under idle the system runs at circa 58 Deg. C.

Although i think that might be to do with a little too heavy handed with the Arctic Silver Application.

Thanks again!
January 28, 2007 8:54:08 PM

In terms of installing, you might wanna try to install it on another computer, then move the drive over and if it gives you issues about different hardware, call MS and have them reactivate it or something.

I've run into this problem before and thats what i did to fix it. Thats all I can think of right now.
Related resources
January 30, 2007 12:37:53 AM

Dont have an answer for you but NICE rig!
January 30, 2007 1:09:36 AM

Quote:
2. Now here is were it kind of gets a little confusing for me. My install drive is one of the Western Digital drives for its speed and performance. However even though on boot up my system detects the other drives, i am unable to see them in the disk manager in XP. i did note however they are showing in something on boot up called SataLink.
Would appreciate any advise as to how to get these visible and active to the operating system (which at present is windows xp pro)

You can't see the drives in XP because they're not formatted. What you need to do to get this done is click Start ---> Programs ---> Admin Tools ---> Computer Management. From there you should see disk management. Click on that and you should see your unpartitioned drives. Just right click and format them and your good to go. XP will automatically assign them a drive letter. This should fix your drive issues.

Quote:
3. Although the system to be working like a dream in everything i have thrown at it, i seem to be getting a error if i try to load up WOW, with a error 132. Which again i cannot seem to work out what this could possibly be.

For this I google the issue and came up with something you should check out from the WoW forums. They posted possible fixes for this issue. http://www.blizzard.com/support/wow/?id=aww01735p1
January 30, 2007 1:35:11 AM

Many thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys:

Some solutions i have found:

2. Problem of the Hard drives not being found. A visit to the Abit website and I was able to find a Silicon Image Windows Driver, which now made the additional Sata connectors show up in windows, hence allowing me to format and add the additional drives from the Disk manager.

3. Faulty install of DirectX 9.0 from the disk was to blame for this, a quick download of new gfx drivers and a reinstall of directX 9.0c solved this issue.

Unsolved Mysteries:

1. Vista - running out of expletives to explain my feelings towards vista crashing none stop on install now. So i think i will give up on this until ms get thier act together, will give them a call and ship thier damn cd back to them and demand my money back, im not here to beta test for them.

2. Cpu Temps - Still running at approx 55 Deg C. at Idle and approx 63-64 Deg C. under load. However i think i need to reapply Arctic Silver as i might have been a little too heavy handed with it.

Thanks to all who sent me messages about my setup and i will more than happily post the requested pictures, and the Display i am using is the Asus MW221U 22" Widescreen i basically choose this because the response time of the screen is 2m/s and the display to my rather ignorant eyes is immaculate.

Thanks!
!