Software Installation Failing

Hello Everyone,

I'm trying to push out a msi package using the computer settings software
installation GPO.

I have the package setup and ready to go, permissions are given to domain
usres, even everyone to trouble shoot.

client side is an XP machine, gpudate /force /sync /boot was used numerous
times.

It's odd, it seems that I might be having replication issues, the GPO will
replicate within my interval, but my clients don't see the install package
when booting. The softwrae should install on the machine prior to the user
logging in.

I have it as assigned and have tried to implement the package numerous ways.
What could i be doing incorrectly?

Thanks

Also, when i do my gpupdate, i get the message that some processes run on
startup (my software install) so it asks to reboot. So it's seeing my
install... just not allowing it.

any way to specifically log this action?

Thanks guys!

"Sonny" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I'm trying to push out a msi package using the computer settings software
> installation GPO.
>
> I have the package setup and ready to go, permissions are given to domain
> usres, even everyone to trouble shoot.
>
> client side is an XP machine, gpudate /force /sync /boot was used numerous
> times.
>
> It's odd, it seems that I might be having replication issues, the GPO will
> replicate within my interval, but my clients don't see the install package
> when booting. The softwrae should install on the machine prior to the
user
> logging in.
>
> I have it as assigned and have tried to implement the package numerous
ways.
> What could i be doing incorrectly?
>
> Thanks

If you are deploying the application per-computer, then the computer account
(or at least the Domain Computers group) has to have permissions to read the
MSI from the share. You can enable software installation logging by checking
out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249621 or
downloading my GP logging ADM at www.gpoguy.com/tools.htm. The generated log
will tell you why its failing to install, if its a problem with the SI
policy processing process rather than a problem with the MSI.

Darren
--------
Darren Mar-Elia
MS MVP-Group Policy
Group Policy FAQs, resources tips and utilities at www.gpoguy.com
--------

> Also, when i do my gpupdate, i get the message that some processes run on
> startup (my software install) so it asks to reboot. So it's seeing my
> install... just not allowing it.
>
> any way to specifically log this action?
>
> Thanks guys!
>
> "Sonny" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I'm trying to push out a msi package using the computer settings software
>> installation GPO.
>>
>> I have the package setup and ready to go, permissions are given to domain
>> usres, even everyone to trouble shoot.
>>
>> client side is an XP machine, gpudate /force /sync /boot was used
>> numerous
>> times.
>>
>> It's odd, it seems that I might be having replication issues, the GPO
>> will
>> replicate within my interval, but my clients don't see the install
>> package
>> when booting. The softwrae should install on the machine prior to the
> user
>> logging in.
>>
>> I have it as assigned and have tried to implement the package numerous
> ways.
>> What could i be doing incorrectly?
>>
>> Thanks

Thanks,

That debugging doesn't do much for me... i don't really understand what it's
reporting.

I'm going to install the adm template for gpo logging.
"Darren Mar-Elia (MVP)" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:ej0kdk4OFHA.1476@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> If you are deploying the application per-computer, then the computer
account
> (or at least the Domain Computers group) has to have permissions to read
the
> MSI from the share. You can enable software installation logging by
checking
> out http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249621 or
> downloading my GP logging ADM at www.gpoguy.com/tools.htm. The generated
log
> will tell you why its failing to install, if its a problem with the SI
> policy processing process rather than a problem with the MSI.
>
> Darren
> --------
> Darren Mar-Elia
> MS MVP-Group Policy
> Group Policy FAQs, resources tips and utilities at www.gpoguy.com
> --------
>

> "Sonny" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Also, when i do my gpupdate, i get the message that some processes run
on
> > startup (my software install) so it asks to reboot. So it's seeing my
> > install... just not allowing it.
> >
> > any way to specifically log this action?
> >
> > Thanks guys!
> >
> > "Sonny" <turbovw18@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Hello Everyone,
> >>
> >> I'm trying to push out a msi package using the computer settings
software
> >> installation GPO.
> >>
> >> I have the package setup and ready to go, permissions are given to
domain
> >> usres, even everyone to trouble shoot.
> >>
> >> client side is an XP machine, gpudate /force /sync /boot was used
> >> numerous
> >> times.
> >>
> >> It's odd, it seems that I might be having replication issues, the GPO
> >> will
> >> replicate within my interval, but my clients don't see the install
> >> package
> >> when booting. The softwrae should install on the machine prior to the
> > user
> >> logging in.
> >>
> >> I have it as assigned and have tried to implement the package numerous
> > ways.
> >> What could i be doing incorrectly?
> >>
> >> Thanks

Post the log here if you can--it might help us help you.

--------
Darren Mar-Elia
MS MVP-Group Policy
Group Policy FAQs, resources tips and utilities at www.gpoguy.com