How to force time zone change down to workstations?

Anyone know how to force Daylight Savings Time zone change down to
workstations? Workstations did not update time-zone information last weekend
and will only do so if authenticated as Administrator. Don't feature going to
150 workstations and doing it manually.

All I'm seeing are some inelegant registry or script hacks to this problem
so far. I can't believe there is no MS solution to this problem or are we
expected to pay for the answer?

Well, the default in Windows is to automatically adjust the displayed time
for Daylight Savings time. I suspect someone changed the default on your
workstaitions, so I don't think this is a Microsoft problem per se.
Automatic adjustment for Daylight Savings time has worked correctly on all
the Windows computers I've worked on or supported over the years.

However, you could build a custom Administrative Template (ADM file) to set

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet (DWORD)

to zero (see http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBC/TIP1400/rh1402.htm).

See

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbppaper.aspor http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D72FA1-62FE-4358-8360-8774EA8DB847&displaylang=enfor information about building custom ADMs.--Bruce Sanderson MVPIt's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question."wharfish" <wharfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:DE7CF7C9-2538-483F-A689-3A2BDD1C9526@microsoft.com...> Anyone know how to force Daylight Savings Time zone change down to> workstations? Workstations did not update time-zone information lastweekend> and will only do so if authenticated as Administrator. Don't feature goingto> 150 workstations and doing it manually.>> All I'm seeing are some inelegant registry or script hacks to this problem> so far. I can't believe there is no MS solution to this problem or are we> expected to pay for the answer?

Noone adjusted the default. The local time IS right. It's the time zone that
does not change to Central Daylight Time. The workstation remains on Central
Standard time until you go in as Admin and manually change it or modify the
registry to give permissions to the user on the [TimeZoneInformation] key to
change the time zone.

"Bruce Sanderson" wrote:

> Well, the default in Windows is to automatically adjust the displayed time
> for Daylight Savings time. I suspect someone changed the default on your
> workstaitions, so I don't think this is a Microsoft problem per se.
> Automatic adjustment for Daylight Savings time has worked correctly on all
> the Windows computers I've worked on or supported over the years.
>
> However, you could build a custom Administrative Template (ADM file) to set
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
> DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet (DWORD)
>
> to zero (see http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBC/TIP1400/rh1402.htm).
>
> See
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbppaper.aspor http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D72FA1-62FE-4358-8360-8774EA8DB847&displaylang=enfor information about building custom ADMs.--Bruce Sanderson MVPIt's perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong question."wharfish" <wharfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:DE7CF7C9-2538-483F-A689-3A2BDD1C9526@microsoft.com...> Anyone know how to force Daylight Savings Time zone change down to> workstations? Workstations did not update time-zone information lastweekend> and will only do so if authenticated as Administrator. Don't feature goingto> 150 workstations and doing it manually.>> All I'm seeing are some inelegant registry or script hacks to this problem> so far. I can't believe there is no MS solution to this problem or are we> expected to pay for the answer?

I was having the exact same trouble... I think the reg key Bruce offered has
solved the problem here. It worked on a few pc's here, we'll see what
happens in the morning when everyone starts up and the scripts run on their
computers.

Ken

> Noone adjusted the default. The local time IS right. It's the time zone
> that
> does not change to Central Daylight Time. The workstation remains on
> Central
> Standard time until you go in as Admin and manually change it or modify
> the
> registry to give permissions to the user on the [TimeZoneInformation] key
> change the time zone.
>

> "Bruce Sanderson" wrote:
>
>> Well, the default in Windows is to automatically adjust the displayed
>> time
>> for Daylight Savings time. I suspect someone changed the default on your
>> workstaitions, so I don't think this is a Microsoft problem per se.
>> Automatic adjustment for Daylight Savings time has worked correctly on
>> all
>> the Windows computers I've worked on or supported over the years.
>>
>> However, you could build a custom Administrative Template (ADM file) to
>> set
>>

>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation
>> DisableAutoDaylightTimeSet (DWORD)
>>
>> to zero (see http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBC/TIP1400/rh1402.htm).
>>
>> See
>>

>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/howitworks/management/rbppaper.aspor
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D72FA1-62FE-4358-8360-8774EA8DB847&displaylang=enfor
>> information about building custom ADMs.--Bruce Sanderson MVPIt's
>> perfectly useless to know the right answer to the wrong
>> question."wharfish" <wharfish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:DE7CF7C9-2538-483F-A689-3A2BDD1C9526@microsoft.com...> Anyone
>> know how to force Daylight Savings Time zone change down to>
>> workstations? Workstations did not update time-zone information
>> lastweekend> and will only do so if authenticated as Administrator. Don't
>> feature goingto> 150 workstations and doing it manually.>> All I'm seeing
>> are some inelegant registry or script hacks to this problem> so far. I
>> can't believe there is no MS solution to this problem or are we> expected
>> to pay for the answer?

as a followup to my last post... funny how it took people 4 days to complain
that the time wasn't right on their emails and meetings. weird

"wharfish" <wharfish@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Anyone know how to force Daylight Savings Time zone change down to
> workstations? Workstations did not update time-zone information last
> weekend
> and will only do so if authenticated as Administrator. Don't feature going
> 150 workstations and doing it manually.
>
> All I'm seeing are some inelegant registry or script hacks to this problem
> so far. I can't believe there is no MS solution to this problem or are we
> expected to pay for the answer?

You can set via a GPO the user right to change the system time, but i don't
now if this solve your problem.

Giuseppe

No cigar.

It's already set in the GPO.

"Giuseppe Cibrario" wrote:

> "wharfish" <wharfish@discussions.microsoft.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > Anyone know how to force Daylight Savings Time zone change down to
> > workstations? Workstations did not update time-zone information last
> > weekend
> > and will only do so if authenticated as Administrator. Don't feature going
> > 150 workstations and doing it manually.
> >
> > All I'm seeing are some inelegant registry or script hacks to this problem
> > so far. I can't believe there is no MS solution to this problem or are we
> > expected to pay for the answer?
>
> You can set via a GPO the user right to change the system time, but i don't
> now if this solve your problem.
>
> Giuseppe

No cigar.

That's already set and users can change time, just not time zones.