January 28, 2007 7:02:36 AM

idle 47, full load ~60?
e6300 @ 2.9+ (7x425)
Gigabyte p965-s3
8800 gts
patriot 6400 ram, 1:1 @ 5-5-5-15
zalman 9700
and my case:
http://www.voidedwarranty.com/PC_Case_Reviews/p2_articl...

i would really like to get my overclock higher and temp lower. im shooting for <40 idle and <50 max load. i want the system to last (maybe i should stick with this OC??) and i want the cheap processor to allow me to get the most out of my 8800gts.

my case only has 2 80mm fans, intake in front and exhaust in back. i would use 120mm, but i would need some modding advice for the acrylic case. perhaps i should take advantage of all the 80mm fan slots?

my gts runs somewhat hot to the touch (without stress) and seems to have no exhaust blowing out the second drive door that it takes up. i dont know if it's supposed to do that, but it looks like that's how it was designed.

thanks

More about : 6300 max load

a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2007 7:55:28 AM

How did you fit the 9500 and 9700 on at the same time?
January 28, 2007 8:09:30 AM

im most impressed by the 6300's ability to overclock so high. the speeds you can reach are higher than the clock on the stock x6800! i feel that i can get the most out of my money by paying for a cheaper processor that clocks as high as the $800+ flagship. which is why i want to get my temps lower and clock higher :) 

i plan on playing vanguard:soh on high/max settings at a resolution that my monitor can handle, which is low enough that my gfx card will be taking a walk in the park.

@crash: thanks for catching that one. i wish i could install two heatsink/fans.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2007 8:22:44 AM

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your motherboard. What's your CPU core voltage set at?
January 28, 2007 8:56:06 AM

my bios vers is F8, which is the newest for plain S3 boards. not sure if F9 would work.

cpu core is at 1.375 in the bios, but speedfan tells me 1.36
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2007 9:20:51 AM

Quote:
idle 47, full load ~60
e6300 @ 2.9...
zalman 9700...

i would really like to get my overclock higher and temp lower. im shooting for <40 idle and <50 max load...

my case only has 2 80mm fans, intake in front and exhaust in back. i would use 120mm, but i would need some modding advice for the acrylic case. perhaps i should take advantage of all the 80mm fan slots?...

Your CPU temps may be better than you suspect. Check out the following topic for more details regarding C2D temperatures:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Hope this helps. 8)
January 29, 2007 6:39:04 AM

i ran TAT at 100% on both processors and my temps hit a steady 63 with peaks at 65. i assumed that the heatsink isnt making a clean connection, i will take it all apart and do the alcohol+qtip.

i just needed to do some reading around. so much for being lazy :( 
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2007 2:33:07 AM

Quote:
my case only has 2 80mm fans, intake in front and exhaust in back...perhaps i should take advantage of all the 80mm fan slots?

It's critical to establish the best possible case airflow in order to achieve the lowest possible CPU temps, and overall system cooling efficiency.

Quote:
my gts runs somewhat hot to the touch (without stress) and seems to have no exhaust blowing out the second drive door that it takes up. i dont know if it's supposed to do that, but it looks like that's how it was designed.

The 8800 series is dual slot rear exhaust, so the cooling fan on the card is intake, therefore, no exhaust should flow from your second drive door.

Quote:
i ran TAT at 100% on both processors and my temps hit a steady 63 with peaks at 65.

If you visualize the colored temp scale in my link, then you can see that 65c is fine, but as you attempt to increase your OC, and subsequently the Vcore to maintain stability, your temps will also increase, which refers back to case cooling.

Hope this helps. 8)
!