GA-965GM-S2 - Frustrated!

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I'm on the edge...I hope someone can help me.

Installed new Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 MB with:
Pentium D 3.0 DC CPU
MEM 1Gx2|WINTEC 3AMD2800-2G2K-R RAM
SONY|DRU120C DVD Recorder
WD 500 GB SATA

The bios recognizes both the hard drive and Sony DVD (as long as I use the purple sata port and config to IDE. When loading Win XP, the install keeps blue screening indicating a storage device issue. The system does not have a floppy but I will get one. Where do I find the driver and text file (txtsetup.oem) when using the F6 function on install? Am I trying to load a driver for the hard drive or the motherboard? I have looked through the CD that came with the motherboard and it seems as if they assume that Windows is already loaded.

I am unable to format the hard drive (even tried using Win 98 bootable CD and FDISK). Any suggestions?

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I would try the manufacturer's website for drivers.

Thanks. Got the drivers and created a bootable floppy. When installing Windows XP, I hit the F6 button and loaded the Raid driver during the install. System allows me to continue with the setup (format drive and copy install files) but after the reboot, it does not recognize the drive.

In the bios, I have enabled the stata/raid/ide function. During boot, the system finds both the hard drive and the Sony DVD drive but then it says that it is missing the operating system.

I am at a loss. Any suggestions at all?

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Try a different settings until you find one that catches. I'm betting that you will have to set the RAID/AHCI/IDE setting to AHCI if you only have one drive and installed the drivers vis F6.

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Try a different settings until you find one that catches. I'm betting that you will have to set the RAID/AHCI/IDE setting to AHCI if you only have one drive and installed the drivers vis F6.

Thanks - I'll give it a try. By the way, what should the SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode be set at? It is currently disabled.

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Thank you. Tried other settings but after the bios reports both drives as present, Win XP says that no drive is present.

I'm so lost....

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Ok,

Clear the CMOS and return the BIOS to its default settings.

Reinstall windows, using the F6 feature to install AHCI drivers for the ICH8.

Note - there are many drivers on that disk, it only shows the first three. You'll have to cursor down to select the right one. the GA-965GM-S2 has the ICH8 chipset, and those are the drivers you need, not the ICH8R or the ICH7(R) drivers, which are also on the disk.

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
OK - the choices for the driver files are all GIGABYTE:

GBB363 RAID
GBB363 AHCI
GBB360 RAID
GBB360 AHCI
GBB366 RAID
GBB366 AHCI
GBB361 RAID
GBB361 AHCI

Which is the intel? Searched the files and website but can't find the answer...

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=12475&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional&lang=eng

Followed the link and the only drivers that seem to be available are the ICH8R. I read in another post that the ICH8 does not support RAID and that the ICH8R meant RAID.

Now I'm really confused. I searched high and low on Intel's site and the only hits for ICH8 are the drivers with the "R".

I am not going to use RAID. I have a single drive. What is the best course?

owdee

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
maybe i just dont properly understand, but why don't you use the orange SATA ports. they are controlled by ICH8 rather than gigabyte's RAID controller

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
I've tried both controllers (Gigabyte and Intel) using the appropriate drivers. The Win XP installing continues to fail after the F6 driver load. I get past the F8 and files begin to copy for installation, but it randamly fails and says that it can't copy "xxx" file, do I want to skip it? It's a different file each time I try to install.

Swapped motherboards and same issue. Swapped out ram and same issue. Tried to substitue an IDE drive (with motherboard set to IDE mode) and the system doesn't even recognize it. At least the system saw the SATA drive. I tried swapping SATA cables, IDE cables. I even swapped out the DVD drive. All that seems to be left is the CPU...

Any thoughts?

owdee

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
i am at a loss for an explanation as much as you. i suppose it wouldnt hurt to try another CPU if you have another sitting around or maybe if you could borrow one. but i doubt that is the culprit. anyone else have a suggestion?

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
can't copy "xxx" file, do I want to skip it? It's a different file each time I try to install.

Your original description lead me to offer no better advice than you'd already been given...however, in years gone by I've seen the above error crop up occasionally. The problem was always a faulty cd-rom or a dirty and unreadable CD itself. When you reach the first instance of cant copy file xxx, press the eject button, check for dust etc on the cd surface and give inside the drive a careful and purposefully DRY blow to remove any dust from the lense.

I know this is only basic advice and may be away entirely from your original problem but anythings worth a shot. I used to have a win2k cd that took over an hour to install but eventually it did, and once on it was fine.

Maybe check the disc or damage also.

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I gave it a try and even used another CD media and am getting the same results. I finally gave up and dropped it off at a local computer repair shop. When I checked with the tech later that day, he sounded like he was ready to jump off the ledge. At least I know that I wasn't going crazy...

Thanks (everyone) for the terrific help. This is a great forum and I really appreciate the help. After trying everything, it must be a hardware failure. I am really disappointed with all of the manufacturers for not being more helpful.

RJ

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2004
Thanks for the advice. I gave it a try and even used another CD media and am getting the same results. I finally gave up and dropped it off at a local computer repair shop. When I checked with the tech later that day, he sounded like he was ready to jump off the ledge. At least I know that I wasn't going crazy...

Thanks (everyone) for the terrific help. This is a great forum and I really appreciate the help. After trying everything, it must be a hardware failure. I am really disappointed with all of the manufacturers for not being more helpful.

Do you have the latest BIOS (F4) loaded? That may help alleviate the issues in loading your OS.

mjmikey

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2007
Thought I would take a moment and update this board on a successful resolution. Long, frustrating story:

1) replaced motherboard - issue remained
2) replaced RAM - issue remained
3) loaded RAID drivers - issue remained
4) replaced all cables, DVD - issue remained
5) took to computer shop - three days later - issue remained
6) replaced windows media - issues remained
7) put STATA hard drive in another computer - bad sectors
8) replaced hard drive - issue RESOLVED!

The drive was brand new and the last thing I checked. Again, thanks to the group for all of your help and insight.