Desktop Icons

I want to create a policy that will define specific Desktop Icons for
Specific User Groups.

In particular, I want to crate an HTML "test.lnk" that opens in IE to a
specific website, a logon page if you will. Each user group has different
logon pages available to them.

Can I do this, customise the icons on the desktop via a GPO?

More about desktop icons

    Yes, you can use desktop redirection to do this. Create a folder containing
    the required icons and put it on a network share. Then you can use Group
    Policy's Folder Redirection settings to make users use that folder as their
    desktop folder.

    See also:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsserver2003/library/DepKit/2b24872a-05ca-41be-9887-33acc87a2056.mspx

    "Smurfman" <smurfman@news.postalias> wrote in message
    >I want to create a policy that will define specific Desktop Icons for
    > Specific User Groups.
    >
    > In particular, I want to crate an HTML "test.lnk" that opens in IE to a
    > specific website, a logon page if you will. Each user group has different
    > logon pages available to them.
    >
    > Can I do this, customise the icons on the desktop via a GPO?

    Hi Amanda, I thought about Redirecting the desktop, however many of the users
    have specific custom features, software they have installed, things like
    this. In which I would not want to poll each user to see how each one has
    customized the desktop.

    The Important URLs is already being used for all users, and really what I am
    interested in is creating the link as a desktop icon.

    I have read a few other similar posts that pointed to:
    1) Create a shortcut, and then in a login script, copy the file.
    2) Create a Logon Script that just creates the shortcut all together.

    I like option #2, but here is where I would need some additional help.
    I can create a script no problem, I found some code to do so.
    HOWEVER, I want to be able to get the user name in the script to determine
    if I should create the icon or not. I do something similar with a WshNetwork
    in which I get the Workstation Name, and use this as a guide for a Case
    statement to install a specific default printer for a user or not, based on
    the machine.

    In doing so, I want to be able to find out the user name or group and then
    execute the script code for creating the icon, rather than just creating the
    icon for all users.

    Granted the permissions of the location are specific to users, however I do
    not want to have to unlock users because they are experimenting with what the
    link is...

    The code I found was on another post and I have ideas for modifying it...but
    how could I put this code in a select statement based on a specific username
    or group name?

    Thanks.

    Dim fldr1

    fldr1 = "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop"

    Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Set object = WshShell.CreateShortcut(fldr1 & "\Windows Explorer.lnk")
    object.TargetPath="%WINDIR%\explorer.scf"
    object.WorkingDirectory="%WINDIR%"
    object.Save

    "Amanda Wang [MSFT]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > As Simon has stated, redirect desktop will be a good idea. Alternatively,
    > you can use another policy is specify the home page for different user
    > account.
    >
    > For example, user1 should have microsoft.com homepage, user2 should have
    > msn home page. You can perform the following steps:
    >
    > 1. Put user1 in one OU1 and located to the
    >
    > User configuration\windows settings\internet explorer maintenance\URLs
    >
    > Important URLs
    >
    > to specify the home page to microsoft.com.
    >
    > NOTE: You need to right click internet explorer maintenance to choose
    > Preference Mode and then see this policy
    >
    > 2. Put user2 in one OU2 and specify the home page to msn.com
    >
    > 3. You can refer to the screen shot which is attached here.
    >
    > HTH. If you have any other questions, please keep in touch with me.
    >
    > Thanks & Regards
    >
    > Amanda Wang [MSFT]
    >
    > Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Hi,

    Thanks for your update.

    From your reply, I can understand that you want to use the second method-
    2) Create a Logon Script that just creates the shortcut all together to
    fulfill the function. But you cannot get the user name in the script to
    determine if you should create the icon or not.

    Regarding the script issue,you would best be address in the Developer
    newsgroups and you will get the most efficient and professional support
    from there. I have provided the link below:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp

    Or you may ask for developer support:
    http://support.microsoft.com/directory/directory/phonepro.asp?sd=msdn

    Thanks for your understanding.

    Thanks & Regards

    Amanda Wang[MSFT]

    Microsoft Online Partner Support

    Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
    support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
    situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
    Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

    This and other support options are available here:
    BCPS:
    https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
    Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

    Support page: