New user groups

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 14, 2005 4:59:05 AM

hi,

I have set up a new user group, and want to be able to allow the users of
this group to do certain things.
Can somebody tell me how I do this.

Many Thanks

More about : user groups

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:45:03 PM

How do I create a group policy ?

"Kevin Depree" wrote:

> hi,
>
> I have set up a new user group, and want to be able to allow the users of
> this group to do certain things.
> Can somebody tell me how I do this.
>

> Many Thanks
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:53:06 PM

The very best book on Group Policy is

Windows 2000: Group Policy, Profiles, and IntelliMirror
by Jeremy Moskowitz

ISBN: 0-7821-2881-5

The newest edition is

Group Policy, Profiles, and IntelliMirror for Windows 2003, Windows 2000,
and Windows XP (Mark Minasi Windows Administrator Library)
by Jeremy Moskowitz, Sybex

ISBN: 0782142982
April 14, 2005 3:27:54 PM

Create a group policy, configuring the options you want them to be able to
do, and place the user objects directly in an OU with the aforementioned
group policy linked.

hth

Ken

"Kevin Depree" <KevinDepree@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> I have set up a new user group, and want to be able to allow the users of
> this group to do certain things.
> Can somebody tell me how I do this.
>

> Many Thanks
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:52:44 PM

Excellent documentation on the Microsoft website at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

> How do I create a group policy ?
>

> "Kevin Depree" wrote:
>
>> hi,
>>
>> I have set up a new user group, and want to be able to allow the users of
>> this group to do certain things.
>> Can somebody tell me how I do this.
>>

>> Many Thanks
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:54:11 PM

Hi Kevin,

A real quick walk through.

1. download and install Group Policy Management Console
http://tinyurl.com/ysx4u

2. In the GPMC (administrator tools\Group Policy Management) choose the
Group Policy Object container under the domain
3. from the action menu choose new
4. name your GPO
5. from the action menu of your 'new' GPO select edit
6. in the Group Policy object editor make the changes you want (it's not too
bad there are only a couple thousand possible settings in here to work
with.) (as the other post says, grab Jeremy's book)
7. close the Group Policy Object Editor
8. back in the GPMC you will need to link your new GPO to a container
You can do this by clicking and dragging the GPO to the S/D/OU of your
choice for linking.
9. know that the container you link to has to contain the users and
computers you are trying to configure.

There is so much info up there to check out. Microsoft, Jeremy's Book,
GroupPolicy.editme.com, GPOGuy.com, lots and lots of stuff... More specific
questions are a bit easier to address.

Kevin

!