New SATA drive "issues"!!

nastymat

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
ok.. I put an additional SATA drive into my machine. DL the setup programme from Maxtor.

Then I got an issue when restarting XP that winnt\system32\config\system is missing. Having a read it says I have registry problems.

PLUS.. on boot up "Verifying DMI pool data" is really slow.. remove the new HDD and it is a lot quicker.

Running the "fix" from MS it deleted sam security software etc from c:\windows\system32\config and copied the files from windows\repair.. well now when I log into windows I have very few icons and I have access to nothing.. everything I try and run it says access denied!!! I have not got the old files to restore.

Any ideas A. How I can get the existing versions of windows to run B. why DMI start up is real slow with the new hdd connected?

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
Is your motherboard an nForce 3 or 4? If so you might have a chipset incompatibility with Maxtor SATA II drives. There should be a jumper on the drive which you an try to reduce the speed to SATA I. Of course ensure that you have the lastest BIOS and chipset drivers available for your platform.

I suggest removing the drive to resolve your issues, and trying to return it to your vendor for another brand because of lack of compatibility if the above don't resolve the issues.

Madwand

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
nForce2 might have the same problems; compounded perhaps by the facts that it's older, and less commonly used for SATA drives, and also less well-maintained at this point. I repeat the recommendation to try to get a replacement with a different brand.

nastymat

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
Right.. I am further down the line...

Got it all up and running but "verifying dmi pool data" takes about 30 seconds before it moves on. If I only have have one drive connected it takes about 5 seconds.

Either drive.. so I am thinking the new drive on it's own is fine. Would there be a reason both together would slow it down? Plus, should it be slower?? I mean.. do two drives take a lot longer?