  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:18:00 PM

I would like to redirect the word document default save / save as location in
active directory for different Ou's or Groups of users, so each group/
department uses its own area to save files to. How can I go about this ? We
have Windows 2000 active directory and Windows 2000 clients with Office
premium / Office 2000 proffessional. We are using the Word 9 .adm files in
group policy ??? Thanks.

More about : redirecting word docs group policy

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:08:43 PM

"Robiom" wrote:
> I would like to redirect the word document default save / save
> as location in
> active directory for different Ou's or Groups of users, so
> each group/
> department uses its own area to save files to. How can I go
> about this ? We
> have Windows 2000 active directory and Windows 2000 clients
> with Office
> premium / Office 2000 proffessional. We are using the Word 9
> .adm files in
> group policy ??? Thanks.

Hi,

Word defaults to saving in My Documents. Is there a reason you don’t
want this? I have all my users save to My Documents and then redirect
their "My Documents’ to the Server. That works for me.

However, IF yo want to setup the default to a different directory.

1> You need to add the ADM for word 2000 to Users Config on Group
Policy on OU you want.
2> Go to Microsoft Word 2000 under Administrative Templates
3> Go to Tools-Options and then "File Locations" and change the
Documents GP.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Redirecting-W...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1137143
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 3:47:01 PM

Hi, That is a good idea, but we restrict the C: drive to almost all users to
stop them saving items there, I shall experiment with it and see how I can
get it to work. I shall return with my results. Many Thanks, Rob.

"lforbes" wrote:

> "Robiom" wrote:
> > I would like to redirect the word document default save / save
> > as location in
> > active directory for different Ou's or Groups of users, so
> > each group/
> > department uses its own area to save files to. How can I go
> > about this ? We
> > have Windows 2000 active directory and Windows 2000 clients
> > with Office
> > premium / Office 2000 proffessional. We are using the Word 9
> > .adm files in
> > group policy ??? Thanks.
>
> Hi,
>
> Word defaults to saving in My Documents. Is there a reason you don’t
> want this? I have all my users save to My Documents and then redirect
> their "My Documents’ to the Server. That works for me.
>
> However, IF yo want to setup the default to a different directory.
>
> 1> You need to add the ADM for word 2000 to Users Config on Group
> Policy on OU you want.
> 2> Go to Microsoft Word 2000 under Administrative Templates
> 3> Go to Tools-Options and then "File Locations" and change the
> Documents GP.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Lara

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Redirecting-W...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1137143

April 18, 2005 7:04:54 PM

Hi

>Hi, That is a good idea, but we restrict the C: drive to almost all
>users to stop them saving items there

My Users have no access to the C:\ at all either. It is Read Only and
not visable. I use Folder Redirection in Group Policy to "redirect"
all their "My Documents" to their home directory on the server eg.
\\server\share\%username%

This only works for Windows 2000 or Windows XP clients in an Active
Directory Domain though.

I found this was the best way to make sure my users were saving on the
server. It also allowed for all the applications that use "My
Documents" as the default saving location.

Cheers,

Lara
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 9:14:02 AM

Helllo, sorry its been ages getting back to this.

How have you restricted the C: drive ? group policy or .... where did you
set it to Read Only ?

Thanks,

Rob