Redirecting Word docs in group policy

I would like to redirect the word document default save / save as location in
active directory for different Ou's or Groups of users, so each group/
department uses its own area to save files to. How can I go about this ? We
have Windows 2000 active directory and Windows 2000 clients with Office
premium / Office 2000 proffessional. We are using the Word 9 .adm files in
group policy ??? Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about redirecting word docs group policy

    "Robiom" wrote:
    > I would like to redirect the word document default save / save
    > as location in
    > active directory for different Ou's or Groups of users, so
    > each group/
    > department uses its own area to save files to. How can I go
    > about this ? We
    > have Windows 2000 active directory and Windows 2000 clients
    > with Office
    > premium / Office 2000 proffessional. We are using the Word 9
    > .adm files in
    > group policy ??? Thanks.

    Hi,

    Word defaults to saving in My Documents. Is there a reason you don’t
    want this? I have all my users save to My Documents and then redirect
    their "My Documents’ to the Server. That works for me.

    However, IF yo want to setup the default to a different directory.

    1> You need to add the ADM for word 2000 to Users Config on Group
    Policy on OU you want.
    2> Go to Microsoft Word 2000 under Administrative Templates
    3> Go to Tools-Options and then "File Locations" and change the
    Documents GP.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Redirecting-Word-docs-ftopict358325.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1137143

    Hi, That is a good idea, but we restrict the C: drive to almost all users to
    stop them saving items there, I shall experiment with it and see how I can
    get it to work. I shall return with my results. Many Thanks, Rob.

    "lforbes" wrote:

    > "Robiom" wrote:
    > > I would like to redirect the word document default save / save
    > > as location in
    > > active directory for different Ou's or Groups of users, so
    > > each group/
    > > department uses its own area to save files to. How can I go
    > > about this ? We
    > > have Windows 2000 active directory and Windows 2000 clients
    > > with Office
    > > premium / Office 2000 proffessional. We are using the Word 9
    > > .adm files in
    > > group policy ??? Thanks.
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > Word defaults to saving in My Documents. Is there a reason you don’t
    > want this? I have all my users save to My Documents and then redirect
    > their "My Documents’ to the Server. That works for me.
    >
    > However, IF yo want to setup the default to a different directory.
    >
    > 1> You need to add the ADM for word 2000 to Users Config on Group
    > Policy on OU you want.
    > 2> Go to Microsoft Word 2000 under Administrative Templates
    > 3> Go to Tools-Options and then "File Locations" and change the
    > Documents GP.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lara

    > Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Redirecting-Word-docs-ftopict358325.html
    > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1137143

    Hi

    >Hi, That is a good idea, but we restrict the C: drive to almost all
    >users to stop them saving items there

    My Users have no access to the C:\ at all either. It is Read Only and
    not visable. I use Folder Redirection in Group Policy to "redirect"
    all their "My Documents" to their home directory on the server eg.
    \\server\share\%username%

    This only works for Windows 2000 or Windows XP clients in an Active
    Directory Domain though.

    I found this was the best way to make sure my users were saving on the
    server. It also allowed for all the applications that use "My
    Documents" as the default saving location.

    Cheers,

    Lara

    Helllo, sorry its been ages getting back to this.

    How have you restricted the C: drive ? group policy or .... where did you
    set it to Read Only ?

    Thanks,

    Rob

    "lforbes" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > >Hi, That is a good idea, but we restrict the C: drive to almost all
    > >users to stop them saving items there
    >
    > My Users have no access to the C:\ at all either. It is Read Only and
    > not visable. I use Folder Redirection in Group Policy to "redirect"
    > all their "My Documents" to their home directory on the server eg.
    > \\server\share\%username%
    >
    > This only works for Windows 2000 or Windows XP clients in an Active
    > Directory Domain though.
    >
    > I found this was the best way to make sure my users were saving on the
    > server. It also allowed for all the applications that use "My
    > Documents" as the default saving location.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lara

Policy Windows 2000 Active Directory Windows