Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

HP Jornada

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 7:01:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi guys I have just purchased a Pre-loved HP Jornada 568 PPC and was
wondering if its
worthwhile purchasing and updating the OS to Microsoft Pocket PC 2002?

Rustydog

More about : jornada

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 7:01:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

That would depend on several things - 1st of which are -
is there something the update would do that you can't do
now?

At the time HP offered that update, it was free for me,
had I been required to pay for it - I doubt I would have.

HTH

xfiler


>-----Original Message-----
>Hi guys I have just purchased a Pre-loved HP Jornada 568
PPC and was
>wondering if its
>worthwhile purchasing and updating the OS to Microsoft
Pocket PC 2002?
>
>Rustydog
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 7:01:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I could be wrong, but seem to remember that no 2003 update was ever
released for the 56x series.

The default rom os on that device was very solid and afaik, there is no
reason to update it unless you specifically need an app that will run
only on 2003 and that need can be conditionally met by installing the
ppc .net frameword.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 25, 2005 7:01:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

That's what I remember too, Bev.

I still have my 565 and it never had an upgrade path.

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:enviIxaSFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>I could be wrong, but seem to remember that no 2003 update was ever
>released for the 56x series.
>
> The default rom os on that device was very solid and afaik, there is no
> reason to update it unless you specifically need an app that will run only
> on 2003 and that need can be conditionally met by installing the ppc .net
> frameword.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 11:09:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for the reply. First off I would like to say that I have never owned
a PPC before. I have looked at a lot off websites and have noticed there is
a lot of software for the PPC and I understood that most will not run under
my present OS and I would have to upgrade the OS to make them run.

Adrian


"xfiler" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1f0d01c5499f$19968610$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> That would depend on several things - 1st of which are -
> is there something the update would do that you can't do
> now?
>
> At the time HP offered that update, it was free for me,
> had I been required to pay for it - I doubt I would have.
>
> HTH
>
> xfiler
>
>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>Hi guys I have just purchased a Pre-loved HP Jornada 568
> PPC and was
>>wondering if its
>>worthwhile purchasing and updating the OS to Microsoft
> Pocket PC 2002?
>>
>>Rustydog
>>
>>
>>.
>>
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 11:09:57 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

First, I have loaded a whole lot of software and have only had one case
where I could not run software on a ppc 2002 device. I have had one
other case where it stated that 2003 was required for .net and the
software ran under the .net framework in 2002.

There are thousands of programs that will run on the 56x. If you see
some software that you need and are not sure, ask.

As verified by others, there is zero option to upgrade the os on 56x
devices... it's a great device and both Todd and I miss it's reliability
related to more recent hardware and os.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 11:49:38 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The other thing I heard is that the later versions of the OS can be set in
landscape. Is this right?

Adrian

"Rustydog" <rustydog@austarnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:D 4htme$n58$1@austar-news.austar.net.au...
> Hi guys I have just purchased a Pre-loved HP Jornada 568 PPC and was
> wondering if its
> worthwhile purchasing and updating the OS to Microsoft Pocket PC 2002?
>
> Rustydog
>
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 11:49:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

WM2003SE does have the ability to landscape.

xfiler


>-----Original Message-----
>The other thing I heard is that the later versions of
the OS can be set in
>landscape. Is this right?
>
>Adrian
>
>"Rustydog" <rustydog@austarnet.com.au> wrote in message
>news:D 4htme$n58$1@austar-news.austar.net.au...
>> Hi guys I have just purchased a Pre-loved HP Jornada
568 PPC and was
>> wondering if its
>> worthwhile purchasing and updating the OS to Microsoft
Pocket PC 2002?
>>
>> Rustydog
>>
>>
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 5:24:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

The version of the S/W I have running is Microsoft Pocket PC Version
3.0.11171(Build 11178).
The previous owner (I bought 2nd hand) deleted a lot of stuff off it. Some
files, when selected comes up with error msgs something along the line of
"no application is associated etc etc".

Adrian

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23NSj9pgSFHA.904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> First, I have loaded a whole lot of software and have only had one case
> where I could not run software on a ppc 2002 device. I have had one other
> case where it stated that 2003 was required for .net and the software ran
> under the .net framework in 2002.
>
> There are thousands of programs that will run on the 56x. If you see some
> software that you need and are not sure, ask.
>
> As verified by others, there is zero option to upgrade the os on 56x
> devices... it's a great device and both Todd and I miss it's reliability
> related to more recent hardware and os.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 26, 2005 5:24:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It sounds as if the apps have either been uninstalled or were on a
storage card that is no longer in place and the shortcuts remain on the
start menu.

All that is needed is to re-install the apps you want... suggest doing
so one by one to get a handle on how they work on the ppc.

You can "clean up" the icon shortcuts that no longer have apps by
opening file explorer and navigating to \windows\start_menu and its sub
folders and deleting the icons you know are non functional.

You might consider performing a "hard reset" to return the device to
it's factory state (erasing _everything_ on the device and in RAM) and
starting fresh. I believe that a hard reset on the Jornada was pressing
the reset button on the back while powering on and holding the power
button down.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 27, 2005 11:18:10 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks Beverly I would try that except I dont have the OS CD to reinstall
after erasing everything. I will have a look at removing unused icons etc

Adrian

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23kgQFCnSFHA.1396@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> It sounds as if the apps have either been uninstalled or were on a
> storage card that is no longer in place and the shortcuts remain on the
> start menu.
>
> All that is needed is to re-install the apps you want... suggest doing so
> one by one to get a handle on how they work on the ppc.
>
> You can "clean up" the icon shortcuts that no longer have apps by opening
> file explorer and navigating to \windows\start_menu and its sub folders
> and deleting the icons you know are non functional.
>
> You might consider performing a "hard reset" to return the device to it's
> factory state (erasing _everything_ on the device and in RAM) and starting
> fresh. I believe that a hard reset on the Jornada was pressing the reset
> button on the back while powering on and holding the power button down.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 27, 2005 11:18:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> OS CD to reinstall after erasing everything <<

As mentioned, a hard reset returns the device to factory state which
includes the os and all default apps such as pocket word, etc... it
erases everything that the previous owner installed or copied to the device.

While there may have been apps such as backup utilities etc on the
companion cd, those are normally shareware programs that can be
downloaded for free to be used for the trial period.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 27, 2005 6:03:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

OK thanks Beverly sorry if the questions sound dumb. I am new to this
Pocket PC thing and someone I work with suggested that if I did a hard reset
I would erase everything on the PPC including the OS and I would be left
with a useless piece of electronics, unless I could get the OS reinstalled
which is why I asked the original question about the upgrade.
I have just finished D/L the users manual and I will read ASAP.

Adrian


"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:upQ4MkrSFHA.1224@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >> OS CD to reinstall after erasing everything <<
>
> As mentioned, a hard reset returns the device to factory state which
> includes the os and all default apps such as pocket word, etc... it erases
> everything that the previous owner installed or copied to the device.
>
> While there may have been apps such as backup utilities etc on the
> companion cd, those are normally shareware programs that can be downloaded
> for free to be used for the trial period.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 27, 2005 6:03:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

(imho, the only "dumb questions" are those that need answers and never
get asked ;-)

PPC's are pretty much "stand alone" with respect to what is necessary to
run on the device to make it useful.

There are two apps, Activesync and Outlook that need to be installed on
the PC that you plan to use to "sync" the device... where files and PIM
(Personal Information Manager) data (contacts, calendar, tasks, notes)
will be combined so that both the PC and the PPC (PocketPC) contain
matching data.

Activesync is free from Microsoft, but a full version of Outlook was on
the CD that shipped with the Jornada when it was new, along with an
installation code in the paperwork. Outlook Express cannot be used to
sync the PIM. If you check the HP site, you may be able to find a full
download of the CD contents that shipped with the device. (I don't know
if it's there... has been in the past for HP PPC's)

The best approach is to throw concern to the wind and start using the
device... the worst that can happen is an accidental hard reset but what
you learn in the interum will be far more valuable.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!