HELP!!!! Win XP doesn't start!!!!

HELP!!!

When I was about to start installing MSDN for Visual Studio 6, the installer
program hang. It hung so heavily that I couldn't even end the installer
through Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When I closed down the computer I got some error
(which I now can't remember), but I selected to close the program and then
the installer finally ended. But when I restarted Windows I get some message
like this:

Windows could not be started. This might depend on a change in soft- or
hardware.

"

If this depends on that the computer didn't answer, restarted unexpectedly
or was closed down automatically to protect your files and folders you can
choose "Last working configuration" to reset the settings which were used the
last time the computer successfully could be started.

If a previous startup was interrupted by a power cut .... or if you are not
sure why you computer cannot be started you can choose "Start Windows
normally".

Failsafe mode
Failsafe mode with network
Failsafe mode with command prompt

Last working configuration (the last settings which worked)

Start Windows normally

"

But it doesn't matter if I choose "Last working configuration" or "Start
Windows normally". Whichever I choose, all I can see is the Windows XP start
up screen with the progress bar. This progress stops quite soon after it
started and then the computer is restarted. What has happened here????

If you find it necessary to post to more than one group at a time, please
crosspost as opposed to posting individually to each group. I've responded
to you in the windowsxp.accessibility newsgroup.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Joachim" <Joachim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HELP!!!
>
> When I was about to start installing MSDN for Visual Studio 6, the
> installer
> program hang. It hung so heavily that I couldn't even end the installer
> through Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When I closed down the computer I got some error
> (which I now can't remember), but I selected to close the program and then
> the installer finally ended. But when I restarted Windows I get some
> message
> like this:
>
> Windows could not be started. This might depend on a change in soft- or
> hardware.
>
> "
>
> If this depends on that the computer didn't answer, restarted unexpectedly
> or was closed down automatically to protect your files and folders you can
> choose "Last working configuration" to reset the settings which were used
> the
> last time the computer successfully could be started.
>
> If a previous startup was interrupted by a power cut .... or if you are
> not
> sure why you computer cannot be started you can choose "Start Windows
> normally".
>
> Failsafe mode
> Failsafe mode with network
> Failsafe mode with command prompt
>
> Last working configuration (the last settings which worked)
>
> Start Windows normally
>
> "
>
> But it doesn't matter if I choose "Last working configuration" or "Start
> Windows normally". Whichever I choose, all I can see is the Windows XP
> start
> up screen with the progress bar. This progress stops quite soon after it
> started and then the computer is restarted. What has happened here????

Hi Michael,

It is such a critical error to me so I wanted to be sure that the right
people saw my post. But I'm sorry if it is annoying. What does crossposting
mean?

Kind Regards,
Joachim

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you find it necessary to post to more than one group at a time, please
> crosspost as opposed to posting individually to each group. I've responded
> to you in the windowsxp.accessibility newsgroup.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Joachim" <Joachim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HELP!!!
> >
> > When I was about to start installing MSDN for Visual Studio 6, the
> > installer
> > program hang. It hung so heavily that I couldn't even end the installer
> > through Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When I closed down the computer I got some error
> > (which I now can't remember), but I selected to close the program and then
> > the installer finally ended. But when I restarted Windows I get some
> > message
> > like this:
> >
> > Windows could not be started. This might depend on a change in soft- or
> > hardware.
> >
> > "
> >
> > If this depends on that the computer didn't answer, restarted unexpectedly
> > or was closed down automatically to protect your files and folders you can
> > choose "Last working configuration" to reset the settings which were used
> > the
> > last time the computer successfully could be started.
> >
> > If a previous startup was interrupted by a power cut .... or if you are
> > not
> > sure why you computer cannot be started you can choose "Start Windows
> > normally".
> >
> > Failsafe mode
> > Failsafe mode with network
> > Failsafe mode with command prompt
> >
> > Last working configuration (the last settings which worked)
> >
> > Start Windows normally
> >
> > "
> >
> > But it doesn't matter if I choose "Last working configuration" or "Start
> > Windows normally". Whichever I choose, all I can see is the Windows XP
> > start
> > up screen with the progress bar. This progress stops quite soon after it
> > started and then the computer is restarted. What has happened here????

You're using the web interface and I'm not sure if it's possible to use that
interface to crosspost. Crossposting is the creation of one message that is
sent to more than one group at a time. Most newsreaders have this
capability including Outlook Express, the reader that ships with XP though
usually, even crossposting should not be necessary.

Nonetheless, when a message is crossposted, answers in the thread in one
newsgroup appear in all the others. That way, users don't have to go group
by group to see if a question has been answered and neither do you. If you
individually post to several groups, then no one knows, including you, if a
question has been answered elsewhere and you have to take the time to go
through the groups to find out. Other users, find it annoying to see the
same question individually posted as opposed to crossposted for that reason
as well.

Check the following for information and instructions for setting up Outlook
Express as your newsreader:

> Hi Michael,
>
> It is such a critical error to me so I wanted to be sure that the right
> people saw my post. But I'm sorry if it is annoying. What does
> crossposting
> mean?
>
> Kind Regards,
> Joachim
>
> "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> If you find it necessary to post to more than one group at a time, please
>> crosspost as opposed to posting individually to each group. I've
>> responded
>> to you in the windowsxp.accessibility newsgroup.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>
>> "Joachim" <Joachim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > HELP!!!
>> >
>> > When I was about to start installing MSDN for Visual Studio 6, the
>> > installer
>> > program hang. It hung so heavily that I couldn't even end the installer
>> > through Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When I closed down the computer I got some
>> > error
>> > (which I now can't remember), but I selected to close the program and
>> > then
>> > the installer finally ended. But when I restarted Windows I get some
>> > message
>> > like this:
>> >
>> > Windows could not be started. This might depend on a change in soft- or
>> > hardware.
>> >
>> > "
>> >
>> > If this depends on that the computer didn't answer, restarted
>> > unexpectedly
>> > or was closed down automatically to protect your files and folders you
>> > can
>> > choose "Last working configuration" to reset the settings which were
>> > used
>> > the
>> > last time the computer successfully could be started.
>> >
>> > If a previous startup was interrupted by a power cut .... or if you are
>> > not
>> > sure why you computer cannot be started you can choose "Start Windows
>> > normally".
>> >
>> > Failsafe mode
>> > Failsafe mode with network
>> > Failsafe mode with command prompt
>> >
>> > Last working configuration (the last settings which worked)
>> >
>> > Start Windows normally
>> >
>> > "
>> >
>> > But it doesn't matter if I choose "Last working configuration" or
>> > "Start
>> > Windows normally". Whichever I choose, all I can see is the Windows XP
>> > start
>> > up screen with the progress bar. This progress stops quite soon after
>> > it
>> > started and then the computer is restarted. What has happened here????

I have the same loop problem with XP. Is there a key combination to start in
Safe Mode?

Jack

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you find it necessary to post to more than one group at a time, please
> crosspost as opposed to posting individually to each group. I've responded
> to you in the windowsxp.accessibility newsgroup.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Joachim" <Joachim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HELP!!!
> >
> > When I was about to start installing MSDN for Visual Studio 6, the
> > installer
> > program hang. It hung so heavily that I couldn't even end the installer
> > through Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When I closed down the computer I got some error
> > (which I now can't remember), but I selected to close the program and then
> > the installer finally ended. But when I restarted Windows I get some
> > message
> > like this:
> >
> > Windows could not be started. This might depend on a change in soft- or
> > hardware.
> >
> > "
> >
> > If this depends on that the computer didn't answer, restarted unexpectedly
> > or was closed down automatically to protect your files and folders you can
> > choose "Last working configuration" to reset the settings which were used
> > the
> > last time the computer successfully could be started.
> >
> > If a previous startup was interrupted by a power cut .... or if you are
> > not
> > sure why you computer cannot be started you can choose "Start Windows
> > normally".
> >
> > Failsafe mode
> > Failsafe mode with network
> > Failsafe mode with command prompt
> >
> > Last working configuration (the last settings which worked)
> >
> > Start Windows normally
> >
> > "
> >
> > But it doesn't matter if I choose "Last working configuration" or "Start
> > Windows normally". Whichever I choose, all I can see is the Windows XP
> > start
> > up screen with the progress bar. This progress stops quite soon after it
> > started and then the computer is restarted. What has happened here????

Sorry if this is a dupe. My first time here and not sure of the process.
Asking if there is a key combination on startup to envoke safe mode in XP.

Jack

"Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> If you find it necessary to post to more than one group at a time, please
> crosspost as opposed to posting individually to each group. I've responded
> to you in the windowsxp.accessibility newsgroup.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Joachim" <Joachim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > HELP!!!
> >
> > When I was about to start installing MSDN for Visual Studio 6, the
> > installer
> > program hang. It hung so heavily that I couldn't even end the installer
> > through Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When I closed down the computer I got some error
> > (which I now can't remember), but I selected to close the program and then
> > the installer finally ended. But when I restarted Windows I get some
> > message
> > like this:
> >
> > Windows could not be started. This might depend on a change in soft- or
> > hardware.
> >
> > "
> >
> > If this depends on that the computer didn't answer, restarted unexpectedly
> > or was closed down automatically to protect your files and folders you can
> > choose "Last working configuration" to reset the settings which were used
> > the
> > last time the computer successfully could be started.
> >
> > If a previous startup was interrupted by a power cut .... or if you are
> > not
> > sure why you computer cannot be started you can choose "Start Windows
> > normally".
> >
> > Failsafe mode
> > Failsafe mode with network
> > Failsafe mode with command prompt
> >
> > Last working configuration (the last settings which worked)
> >
> > Start Windows normally
> >
> > "
> >
> > But it doesn't matter if I choose "Last working configuration" or "Start
> > Windows normally". Whichever I choose, all I can see is the Windows XP
> > start
> > up screen with the progress bar. This progress stops quite soon after it
> > started and then the computer is restarted. What has happened here????

Usually the F8 key. You can also reach safe mode with START>RUN type
'msconfig' ENTER and on the Boot.ini tab check Safeboot. Then restart.