Your question

Thoughts and Ideas on a new build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
January 28, 2007 3:12:46 PM

Hi all,

I am about to order components for my new PC. First thing I need to say is this PC is going to have to last me until I finish university in 3 1/2 years so while the specs I have chosen may seem over the top this must last out. Also I dont think I will be doing much overclocking because it must be reliable for this period of time. Obviously I am here for advice so if you think it is a feasable thing to overclock a system and expect it to last such a time frame then please do say. So far this is what I am considering:

Core 2 Quad 6600
Gigabyte GA G965 DS4
2GB Corsair XMS2 6400-CL4
Nvidia 8800GTX
SATA DVD-RW

I will also be getting Vista Ultimate OEM for this system. When suggesting new parts price is not much of an issue but still be realistic. Parts I already have:

Antec P180
2x Samsung Spinpoints 250GB (RAID0 in new system?)
600W Jeantech PSU (Hopefully this will cope?)
Scythe Ninja rev 2 CPU cooler. (This cooler ok for the above CPU?)
X-FI
Happauge Nova DT Dual

Main uses will be CAD, Video editing, gaming, recording + watching TV, music etc.

Thanks for your time guys.

More about : thoughts ideas build

January 28, 2007 8:11:57 PM

Dont skimp on the Mobo OEM software is restricted to the hardware so buy the best! Abit has just bought out thier new mobo the ABIT IN9 32X-MAX WiFi, nForce-680i SLI watch out for the reviews.
Related resources
January 28, 2007 10:26:29 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions. regarding the PSU I understand your concerns but I already have this PSU and it has served me well for the last 6 months. I know its a rare make and I bought it cause my cheap old one died on me and I had to go to my local store and buy one. I have found a post on THG where they tested this PSU and it seemed ok take a look:
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/07/11/stress_test/page20...
Of course if i get the new components and all goes belly up because of the PSU ill eat my words and buy the OCZ.

As for the motherboard concern, the abit board you showed there is one hell of an expensive piece of kit! Is there something specifically wrong with DS4 I listed? Like i said I need to keep the prices reasonable as far as possible so a $360 mobo is a bit rich for my blood. Also I live in the UK so chances of Nvidia 680i chipsets becoming availble here within the next few weeks are slim, but as always im usually wrong :D 
January 28, 2007 11:18:58 PM

Quote:
Of course if i get the new components and all goes belly up because of the PSU ill eat my words and buy the OCZ.

If a psu does down, it might take your parts with it & it would be too late to upgrade the psu w/o an overhaul.
January 28, 2007 11:25:24 PM

Yep it's alot to spend on a mobo but look at its features, its the most "future proof" you're gonna get which i thought was your goal? But if you're not going to be running Crossfire or SLI and "bang for buck" is your aim then grab this board Gigabyte GA-965P DS3 Best bang for buck board there is and it even beats the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe which is nearly twice its price!

Gigabyte DS3 Review

Hope this helps m8! ;) 
January 29, 2007 1:59:58 PM

Viceras

Thanks for your help, I think one thing i need to make clear is that I am not looking for future proofing for upgrades, but for longevity in the form that it stands when fully built. So if a feature such as the fact that it can handle 1333MHz FSB is not used when the system is built there is very little chance of it being used ever.

I guess what im looking for really is the best components i can get without going over the top, so no SLI or xfire and no need for motherboards crawling with features that are unlikely to be used.

As it happens I have noticed that Gigabyte make a board similar to the one I had in my original list but with the Nvidia 650i chipset any thoughts on that one? I have to say I like the look of that DS3 you posted, Ill have a look at that I think. I have also noticed the MSI platinum boared both the 965 and 975x chipsets any thoughts on these?