Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Decided to wait till September to build...

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 28, 2007 3:28:19 PM

I Decided to wait till September to build....What do you think would be available then? I plan on spending $1500, what more could i get then than now for a gaming rig? Is it worth the wait? I decided this because i cant believe how fast things are upgrading and outdating, is it a smart decision???
January 28, 2007 3:37:51 PM

No! Thats over 7 months away! I would wait until late February-early March, thats when some of the cheaper dx10 cards should be available. Things are going to be coming out just as fast in 7 months as they are now. The only thing that i can think of thats coming out around September is Yorkfield, the 45nm succesor to Kentsfield.
a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2007 3:51:23 PM

I can't think of any significant components that will be coming out at that time. Prices will be cheaper though; current Core 2 Duo CPUs will drop by 1 performance level by June 2007. That means the E6700 will drop to the price of the E6600, or $316. The E660 will drop to the price of the E6400, or $214. Etc...

Personally, I'm trying to wait until Penryn comes out before I do another upgrade. A new HTPC will be built around the E6600 that currently in my primary rig, and I'll drop in a Penryn into my primary rig.
Related resources
January 28, 2007 4:32:04 PM

Quote:
I Decided to wait till September to build....What do you think would be available then? I plan on spending $1500, what more could i get then than now for a gaming rig? Is it worth the wait? I decided this because i cant believe how fast things are upgrading and outdating, is it a smart decision???


well first of all.. can you share with us what rig you have now?? if you can still run games at say 1264 x 1024, or w/e that resolution is, i d say wait until september. 45nm processors and motherboards with pci express 2.0 should also be avaible by september. i hear pci express 2.0 will have double the bandwidth of a regular pci express. so i am guessing pci express 2.0 will be 32x, instead of 16x. Which would be great. Even though i m sure there will not be graphic cards availble to utilize the full bandwidth of 32x, at least you will have a option to upgrade when graphic cards do surpass the 16x bandwidth.
January 28, 2007 4:46:29 PM

Quote:
I Decided to wait till September to build....What do you think would be available then? I plan on spending $1500, what more could i get then than now for a gaming rig? Is it worth the wait? I decided this because i cant believe how fast things are upgrading and outdating, is it a smart decision???


You should wait another three years, thats when even better hardware will be out and DX10 cards will be really cheap.
January 28, 2007 4:53:55 PM

Actually though, if your current system isn't that bad, waiting until September isn't really a bad idea. That's when we'll be finally seeing UT2007, Crysis, Bioshock, Half-Life2: Episode 2 and many more titles.
January 28, 2007 5:18:20 PM

Ask yourself this question are you happy playing the current games with your current system. If the answer is no then upgrade new technologies will ALWAYS be right around the corner so staying ahead of it is an impossibility.

Just my 2 water buffalos/cents ;) 

Viceras
January 28, 2007 5:43:09 PM

im happy with the games i play right now(The Total War series never get old, lol) Do you guys think the Quad core processor and Geforce 8800 series will be much more affordable? how much?

my Rig Specs right now are
Northwood Pentium 4 2.0 GHz
80 GB 5200rpm hardrive
768 mb of ddr sdram PC2100
Geforce 256mb 7600gt AGP
15inch CRT
January 28, 2007 6:06:19 PM

I agree with you. I've already bought a P5W Deluxe but I'll wait until october for price drop of Core 2, memory and LCD monitor. Maybe AMD Processor prices will too. Price/performance ratio is the most important thing for me. :roll:
January 28, 2007 6:49:37 PM

there is always one answer to your question, you will always get something better (or cheaper) if you plan on waiting 7 months.Then again when that time comes you might still want to wait another 7 months ... 8)
!