patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

Yesterday I installed XP Pro on top of Win98 as I didn't want to lose all my
stuff. It was working just fine. I then made the mistake of installing SP2.
(The free CD from MS) It totally trashed Outlook Express. I lost all the
emails that were in my "Sent & Inbox" folders. (several hundred) I also lost
all my newsgroups.

I uninstalled SP2, restarted and tried connecting to the Internet &
discovered that I couldn't even do that. (Dial up) I ran the connection
wizard, but the option to "Connect using dial up modem" is grayed out! The
only option available is "Use broadband connection that is always on" (I
wish!)

I then tried to add a connection and got the error "Cannot load the remote
access service manager.
Error 711: A configuration error on this computer is preventing this
connection".

At this point I tried the Restore points. (I had 7 listed) I starting trying
each one before SP2. Each time I got a message saying the restore point
failed.

Needless to say, I'm about to go back to Win98 unless someone can help me
out of this dilemma.

Thanks

Generally, you cannot safely restore to a point before SP2 is installed.
Did you use the Upgrade Advisor on the XP cd to resolve potential issues
before upgrading to XP? Did you use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard
to preserve your files before upgrading to XP? Did you back up your system
before upgrading from XP to XP SP2?

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:09:07 -0600, Patch wrote:

> Yesterday I installed XP Pro on top of Win98 as I didn't want to lose all my
> stuff. It was working just fine. I then made the mistake of installing SP2.
> (The free CD from MS) It totally trashed Outlook Express. I lost all the
> emails that were in my "Sent & Inbox" folders. (several hundred) I also lost
> all my newsgroups.
>
> I uninstalled SP2, restarted and tried connecting to the Internet &
> discovered that I couldn't even do that. (Dial up) I ran the connection
> wizard, but the option to "Connect using dial up modem" is grayed out! The
> only option available is "Use broadband connection that is always on" (I
> wish!)

One of the most common causes for trouble when installing SP2 is resident
malware. That point and other important preparation steps are discussed in
this article:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
Suggest giving that a good read before trying SP2 again.

For your current connection problem, see this article:
Dial-up modem or PPPoE option in New Connection Wizard is unavailable

Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

patch

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 14:09:07 -0600, Patch wrote:
>
> > Yesterday I installed XP Pro on top of Win98 as I didn't want to lose
all my
> > stuff. It was working just fine. I then made the mistake of installing
SP2.
> > (The free CD from MS) It totally trashed Outlook Express. I lost all the
> > emails that were in my "Sent & Inbox" folders. (several hundred) I also
lost
> > all my newsgroups.
> >
> > I uninstalled SP2, restarted and tried connecting to the Internet &
> > discovered that I couldn't even do that. (Dial up) I ran the connection
> > wizard, but the option to "Connect using dial up modem" is grayed out!
The
> > only option available is "Use broadband connection that is always on" (I
> > wish!)
>
> One of the most common causes for trouble when installing SP2 is resident
> malware. That point and other important preparation steps are discussed in
> this article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
> Suggest giving that a good read before trying SP2 again.
>
> For your current connection problem, see this article:
> Dial-up modem or PPPoE option in New Connection Wizard is unavailable
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=320558
>
> --
> Sharon F
> MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Thanks for the info. I created a restore point before installing SP2,
apparently that wasn't good enough.

Search your hard drive for Inbox.dbx
(You will have to set the search to include hidden files and folders.)

If you find two copies, use OE's File | Import | Messages | Microsoft
Outlook Express 6 and choose to import from an OE6 store directory. Browse
to the folder holding the older Inbox.dbx.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com