Question Regarding Applying Local Group Policy

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
April 20, 2005 7:19:34 PM

I'm new to setting policies. We are trying to setup new
Windows XP Professional cash registers. We would like to
lock down the functionality of three cash registers so that
the cash register users cannot use the CD burning
functionality and we would like to limit their ability to
make changes to the system and desktop.

I've found some of the plug-ins but I'm confused about
some of the relationships.
I've done the following.

1. Start\Run\mmc
2. With mmc I've done:
File\Add Remove Snapin...
Add button
Then selected Local Users and Groups for managing the
local computer and groups.

3. Under Groups I added a group CSR (for cash register)
4. Under Users I added a user CashRegister01
5. The I closed mmc and did Start\Run\gpedit.msc
6. I want to set something like:
Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer
Remove CD Burning features

My confusion is that I thought I would be able to apply
the Local Group Policies to the CSR group policy and then
add the CashRegister01 users to the CSR policy but I do not
see away to associate the Local Group Policies being
altered here to the CSR group. There is no option like
"Apply these changes to CSR".

I'm afraid if I start making changes to the Local Group
Policies without understanding how to apply it to a
specific group it will affect adminstrator privileges and
everyone else.

Am I way off base here. Is there a way to setup a group
with limited privileges and security and add users to it on
a local computer basis?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 7:19:35 PM

"Douglas Pollock" wrote:
> I'm new to setting policies. We are trying to setup new
> Windows XP Professional cash registers. We would like to
> lock down the functionality of three cash registers so that
> the cash register users cannot use the CD burning
> functionality and we would like to limit their ability to
> make changes to the system and desktop.
>
> I've found some of the plug-ins but I'm confused about
> some of the relationships.
> I've done the following.
>
> 1. StartRunmmc
> 2. With mmc I've done:
> FileAdd Remove Snapin...
> Add button
> Then selected Local Users and Groups for managing the
> local computer and groups.
>
> 3. Under Groups I added a group CSR (for cash register)
> 4. Under Users I added a user CashRegister01
> 5. The I closed mmc and did StartRungpedit.msc
> 6. I want to set something like:
> Administrative TemplatesWindows ComponentsWindows Explorer
> Remove CD Burning features
>
> My confusion is that I thought I would be able to apply
> the Local Group Policies to the CSR group policy and then
> add the CashRegister01 users to the CSR policy but I do not
> see away to associate the Local Group Policies being
> altered here to the CSR group. There is no option like
> "Apply these changes to CSR".
>
> I'm afraid if I start making changes to the Local Group
> Policies without understanding how to apply it to a
> specific group it will affect adminstrator privileges and
> everyone else.
>
> Am I way off base here. Is there a way to setup a group
> with limited privileges and security and add users to it on
> a local computer basis?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Local Policies apply to ALL users including Administrators. You cannot
change specific users/groups using Local Policies. You have two
options if you don’t have a Domain. (If you have a Domain ignore this
and use Group Policy)

1> Try this site out however it will set for ALL users except
Administrators
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q293655

2> Investigate using System Policy Editor instead. This is
poledit.exe that was used in the Windows NT Days. It actually hacks
the users profiles so make sure you set for groups and not users.
Unfortunately a lot of the info on System Policy Editor (poledit.exe)
has been pulled from MS website since it stopped supporting NT.

Cheers,

Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Group-Policy-Applying-Loca...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1147325