Feeling down about my 8800GTX

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Im afraid I got the card too quick...(aka should have waited for 8900 or the r600)

I got the card for DX10 and I really needed a new computer but I think I picked up this card too soon... Im afraid it wont play DX10 games like Crysis on high quality.

Do you guys think I got the card too soon or will it do really well on crysis and other games

rivalneighbour

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Did you ever get your 3060 xeon built? http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=210144&highlight=

Whats your 3dmark06, 3dmark05 scores?

mpjesse

Splendid
Im afraid I got the card too quick...(aka should have waited for 8900 or the r600)

I got the card for DX10 and I really needed a new computer but I think I picked up this card too soon... Im afraid it wont play DX10 games like Crysis on high quality.

Do you guys think I got the card too soon or will it do really well on crysis and other games

take a fcukin' antidepressant. or go kill yourself... whichever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
No! That card will be good for the next 5 years if not more.
HAHA :lol: Comedian.

No computer part is good for 5 years. Next year, the 8800GTX won't be good anymore.

However, the 8800GTX is best card now, so can't complain. If it doesn't play Crysis all too well, then you deal with it when it's an issue. Right now, the card is nowhere close to being an issue.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

why do you keep posting that video about me :cry: :lol:

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
Thanks taco

and mpjesse... Im fine with the card now and I love it... but I dont have the money to upgrade for another 2 years... if not more and I upgraded for Crysis and other games... and from what I have been seeing I wasn't sure if I could run the games I upgraded for on the qualities I wanted to...

northreign

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2006

They have been demoing Crysis on computers running with a 8800GTX with high resolution and settings at max along with a decent processor.

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Don't be so harsh, half of this is our fault for being so obsessed with performance. I agree, he shouldn't be worried about his 8800GTX, and if hes a little spoilt brat I agree. But he's probably not, he's probably just a normal person, taken in with the real BS that we need to have SLI GTX's or our games won't play "the way they were meant to be played". Fuck that.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
You could wait for the R600 to come out, buy that and feel the same way when the 8900 series appears. You've got a great videocard right now so you might as well use it. If history repeats itself, it will be like playing on a 6800 Ultra today, and thats not bad.

killtacular

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
No! That card will be good for the next 5 years if not more.
LOL What are you smoking? That card will be good for 2 years tops.

Welcome to the very inexpensive world of PC gaming...

Think of it this way, the 8900GTX will only have a greater core and memory speed, with possibly more ram. You could always overclock the 8800GTX core and memory to meet the 8900GTX speeds, when it comes out of course.

Remember, the number of shaders etc will very much likely stay the same. Just look at the 7800GTX and the 7900GTX (both 24 shaders)...get my point?

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
The physic calculation would be handled by the GPU not CPU. The floating point power of the 8800 GTX can out perform any quad core by a factor of 10 or more. The GPU's today are far more powerful than the CPU's. The 8800GTX performs conservatively about 500 GFLOPS while Xeno 5100 performs about 16 GFLOPS. I have seen the reported floating point number approach a TFLOPS for certain applications.

Besides DX10 shouldn't take a performance hit, the promise an increase performace... A fast CPU will be needed as at lower resolution no benchmark that I seen shows the GPU limited, in other word all current CPU's bottleneck this GPU. At higher resolution this is less of a problem.

The_Hanz

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006

Serious remedies for the serious problems.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Well the 7800GTX 512mb is clocked faster then the 7900GTX 512mb but performs far worse so its all in the architecture...

As for you i feel your pain, i bought a 8800GTS and 680I just because i got sick of waiting for the R600 and RD600

architecture1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007

Yes waste of money, I'd be happy to take that piece of junk off your hands. If I can bring myself to touch it... :lol:

Yes and no, I think. I'm going to wait until the R600 comes out and then buy a second 8800GTX; I'm hoping the price will go down. Probably depends on how you feel about SLI, compared to Crossfire.

architecture1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007

Serious remedies for the serious problems.

Don't you think you might want to take it down a notch?? Wouldn't you feel really bad for a while if he did?

RooD

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2004
I don't thinks its a waste of $$ but was just wondering if I should have waited but... looking at the Crysis at CES... I am more than happy

thanks northreign

heh and Parge Im not a spoiled brat... =) I'm just broke now =(