Sign in with
Your question

Feeling down about my 8800GTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 28, 2007 6:57:54 PM

Im afraid I got the card too quick...(aka should have waited for 8900 or the r600)

I got the card for DX10 and I really needed a new computer but I think I picked up this card too soon... Im afraid it wont play DX10 games like Crysis on high quality.

Do you guys think I got the card too soon or will it do really well on crysis and other games

More about : feeling 8800gtx

January 28, 2007 7:10:47 PM

No! That card will be good for the next 5 years if not more.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2007 7:23:03 PM

Quote:

yeah thats when crysis will finally be out. :p 

@ the op just send me your card and ill send you 2 68gt,s
Related resources
January 28, 2007 7:34:56 PM

thanks for the imput

and I did get the 3060 machine running and the 3Dmark06 with OC was 11.5Kish
January 28, 2007 7:35:48 PM

and yea... I will upgrade too quadcore when it is a bit less costly =(... I am broke now haha
January 28, 2007 7:55:29 PM

Quote:
LOL What are you smoking? That card will be good for 2 years tops.
January 28, 2007 8:12:34 PM

Quote:
Im afraid I got the card too quick...(aka should have waited for 8900 or the r600)

I got the card for DX10 and I really needed a new computer but I think I picked up this card too soon... Im afraid it wont play DX10 games like Crysis on high quality.

Do you guys think I got the card too soon or will it do really well on crysis and other games

take a fcukin' antidepressant. or go kill yourself... whichever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9q2jNjOPdk
January 28, 2007 8:13:06 PM

Quote:

HAHA :lol:  Comedian.

No computer part is good for 5 years. Next year, the 8800GTX won't be good anymore.

However, the 8800GTX is best card now, so can't complain. If it doesn't play Crysis all too well, then you deal with it when it's an issue. Right now, the card is nowhere close to being an issue.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2007 8:23:29 PM

Quote:

why do you keep posting that video about me :cry:  :lol: 
January 28, 2007 8:25:36 PM

Quote:

Heh heh. :roll: Good one. And how does Oblivion play on that TNT2 you have?
January 28, 2007 8:41:04 PM

Thanks taco

and mpjesse... Im fine with the card now and I love it... but I dont have the money to upgrade for another 2 years... if not more and I upgraded for Crysis and other games... and from what I have been seeing I wasn't sure if I could run the games I upgraded for on the qualities I wanted to...
January 28, 2007 8:48:54 PM

Quote:

They have been demoing Crysis on computers running with a 8800GTX with high resolution and settings at max along with a decent processor.
January 28, 2007 8:53:01 PM

Thanks again

and

Northreign I will have too look for the tests =), thanks
January 28, 2007 9:10:01 PM

Quote:

Don't be so harsh, half of this is our fault for being so obsessed with performance. I agree, he shouldn't be worried about his 8800GTX, and if hes a little spoilt brat I agree. But he's probably not, he's probably just a normal person, taken in with the real BS that we need to have SLI GTX's or our games won't play "the way they were meant to be played". Fuck that.
January 28, 2007 9:25:50 PM

You could wait for the R600 to come out, buy that and feel the same way when the 8900 series appears. You've got a great videocard right now so you might as well use it. If history repeats itself, it will be like playing on a 6800 Ultra today, and thats not bad.
January 28, 2007 9:35:03 PM

Quote:
LOL What are you smoking? That card will be good for 2 years tops.

Welcome to the very inexpensive world of PC gaming...

Think of it this way, the 8900GTX will only have a greater core and memory speed, with possibly more ram. You could always overclock the 8800GTX core and memory to meet the 8900GTX speeds, when it comes out of course.

Remember, the number of shaders etc will very much likely stay the same. Just look at the 7800GTX and the 7900GTX (both 24 shaders)...get my point?
January 28, 2007 9:54:46 PM

The physic calculation would be handled by the GPU not CPU. The floating point power of the 8800 GTX can out perform any quad core by a factor of 10 or more. The GPU's today are far more powerful than the CPU's. The 8800GTX performs conservatively about 500 GFLOPS while Xeno 5100 performs about 16 GFLOPS. I have seen the reported floating point number approach a TFLOPS for certain applications.

Besides DX10 shouldn't take a performance hit, the promise an increase performace... A fast CPU will be needed as at lower resolution no benchmark that I seen shows the GPU limited, in other word all current CPU's bottleneck this GPU. At higher resolution this is less of a problem.
January 28, 2007 10:12:09 PM

Quote:

Serious remedies for the serious problems.
January 28, 2007 10:48:14 PM

Well the 7800GTX 512mb is clocked faster then the 7900GTX 512mb but performs far worse so its all in the architecture...

As for you i feel your pain, i bought a 8800GTS and 680I just because i got sick of waiting for the R600 and RD600
January 28, 2007 11:37:57 PM

fine, sell yourcard to me for 10 US and problem solved :p 

theres out there that really apreciates the power of these vid cards, unlike you.
January 29, 2007 3:36:09 AM

Quote:

Yes waste of money, I'd be happy to take that piece of junk off your hands. If I can bring myself to touch it... :lol: 

Yes and no, I think. I'm going to wait until the R600 comes out and then buy a second 8800GTX; I'm hoping the price will go down. Probably depends on how you feel about SLI, compared to Crossfire.
January 29, 2007 3:37:31 AM

Quote:

Serious remedies for the serious problems.

Don't you think you might want to take it down a notch?? Wouldn't you feel really bad for a while if he did?
January 29, 2007 2:24:59 PM

I don't thinks its a waste of $$ but was just wondering if I should have waited but... looking at the Crysis at CES... I am more than happy

thanks northreign

heh and Parge Im not a spoiled brat... =) I'm just broke now =(
January 29, 2007 2:53:14 PM

Quote:
Well the 7800GTX 512mb is clocked faster then the 7900GTX 512mb but performs far worse so its all in the architecture...

Um...not quite. The 7800GTX had a better memory speed and thus a better memory bandwidth but the 7900GTX had a core that was running 100Mhz faster. Therefore, the 7900GTX performed way better in benchmarks etc.

Check here:

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_7900_gtx/index.sh...
January 29, 2007 5:49:53 PM

Quote:
then how 'bout you sell me your gtx for $10 then

This is a joke:

1: Suck up your pride.
2: Buy a bottle of anal lube.
3: Get the laptop ready.
4: Spread the anal lube all over your anus.

I'm so sorry, I couldn't resist.
-cm
:lol: 

But just enjoy your gtx or trade it in for an 8900 with step up if you have to

Thank god we have this wealth of knowledge preserved in this forum for future generations...
January 29, 2007 6:33:05 PM

Five years my ass.

It will last roughly 1-2 tops. By then Dx10 games will have progressed and will tear that card to shreds.
January 29, 2007 6:43:32 PM

I wrote this earlier about the 8800's because I was feeling the same about my GTS but I didn't get a responce about what I think between the two hardware. It says that I think that the G80 has good potential if a driver could ever be written to use it. I use the speculated R600 from Level505 but I take those as close to be true but if they are able to do anymore than 2 shader operations per cycle than I think the R600 will Kill!! But all speculation.

Looking to the future I don't know how the R600 will stack up to the G80. I know that ATI has some big advantages over the Nvidia being that this is their 2nd unified design and they're much further ahead of Nvidia in the driver front.

I know this is all speculation because nothing is released and nothing is official but at least the leaked specs at about this time in the development seen correct. The G80’s leaked specs were so I’m thinking these are somewhat correct ignoring any clock speeds.

If we talk about each of their unified shader design then let’s look at ATI’s first. Looking at the leaked specs for this ATI has 64, 4-way shading units that can perform 128 shading operations per cycle. To me it looks like they have taken the standard way of shading design being that a straight throughput of information is going to be used. Having the unified shaders inline with the normal pipeline with the shading operations running at the core speed is a drawback compared to Nvidia’s design. Nvidia’s design has the shaders running completely independent of the initial core. Being that more work can be done on developing the pixel before sending it to the ROP. These differences probably account for the high memory bit rate and core clock speed. The high core clock speed also makes up for the R600 only having 16 ROP’s.

The R600 high core clock speed makes up for Nvidia’s independent shader clock speed operation and the high bandwidth is probably for storing pixels on the main memory to account for Nvidia’s independent texture unit’s which allows for storing of information on them to then be recycled back for more stream processing.

The reason I think I’m right about ATI using a traditional style of “pipeline” design is because they are done with all of their drivers across the board, even Linux. To me this looks like (remember the R600 has been in development for some years now) after they found out what G80 has done with their design and has independently clocked shaders that are independent of the core operation that they had to go to respin after respin to bring up the clock speeds. The initial core design stayed the same allowing for the driver designers to start on their drivers long ago, and the only real obstruction in the driver design being to write for the unified shaders and the general reprocessing of the geometry shaders after the vertex calculations are done thus making the general design of the driver relatively simple to adapt.

I think the reason that Nvidia is taking so long is that they want to completely use the stream processors independency along with high use of the texture filtering units to allow for a much higher throughput of shader operations to the core. Making this happen is a driver design nightmare because of the complete independent design of everything on the G80 (independent shader clock and independent textures) and needing a complete new approach to driver design. Looking at these points I wonder if Nvidia will ever be able to write a driver to allow for complete full potential usage of the G80.

By the way I’m not a Nvidia fanboy, this is the first Nvidia product I’ve owned and this is up for general discussion and what everyone thinks. I’m not trying to say I’m right and if I made any mistakes or wrong assumptions please don’t be a dink; just point them out and correct them.
a b U Graphics card
January 29, 2007 7:17:00 PM

Just because a card that is B.A. now and smokes everything, doesn't mean it will still be anywhere near the middle of the heap in 5 years. Look at the Ti4600's from 4-5 years ago...they were an incredible card, but can't hold a candle to even the mid-low cards out now. It seems that with the large jumps gfx cards are making now over the previous generations, I would expect the 8800's (or all 8 series cards) to be midrange by late this year or early next. I bought a 78000gtx last spring...now its middle ground for what's available now (actually, isn't readily available at many places at all...). Take that into account with the dx10 compatibility, cpu jumps coming up, etc. Go ahead, try that Ti4600 on most games coming up...probably won't even launch with it...Now think 8800's and 5 years from now...cherish what you have now my friends. That $400 4600 isn't doing much but web surfing and playing UT '99...
January 29, 2007 7:25:14 PM

I didn't say anything about it lasting 5 years at all and the peformance between the cards out in the next months and the ones out in a year and a half will be quite dramatically different. A year is amazing to the difference that it makes to graphics cards. From one step to the next blows me away that in one years time they are able to double or even more the performance in their chips and technology.

He was just feeling bad about his 8800 to R600 and I was giving my thoughts about the technology behind the two.
January 29, 2007 8:42:22 PM

Quote:
Don't be so harsh

I know of no other way...

Seriously... the only reason he's regretting the purchase is because he probably didn't have the money to spend in the first place. I would certainly regret buying a 8800GTX if I were poor. lol.
!