Printers, Homegroup, IPv6

monsterrain

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Hi everyone.

I am having quite a problem with my printer (HP Officejet 4500 G510a-f) and homegroup in Windows 7. I have two desktop computers, both with Windows 7. One has Professional, the other has Ultimate. The computer with Professional is wired to my router. The printer is also plugged into that computer via USB. The computer with Ultimate is connected to the network wirelessly. Both computers can access the internet.

Initially, I tried setting up a homegroup through the Windows 7 Professional desktop. It did not work, giving me the message, "Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer." During my research on this issue, I found that you must have IPv6 running for homegroups to work on W7. What I found when going into Control Panel->Network and Internet->Network Sharing Center->Local Area Connection is that IPv6 Connectivity: No Internet Access. I am certain that my ISP is OK with IPv6, so I'm guessing this is a network issue on my end.

Since I'm a rookie at network troubleshooting, I then decided to try to share my printer without homegroups. On my Windows 7 Professional computer, I went into Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Devices and Printers, right clicked on my printer, and selected Printer Properties. Under the Sharing tab, I checked the checkbox for "Share this printer". I also checked "Render print jobs on client computers".

Then I went to my wireless desktop (Ultimate) and verified that I could now see the printer I shared on the other computer. I then tried to print a test page when I got the error message, "Test page failed to print. Would you like to view the print troubleshooter for assistance? The server print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler on the server or restart the server machine." The print spooler service is already running on both of my machines. Note that I can print from. my Windows 7 Professional computer.

One last tidbit that I just noticed: The Windows 7 Ultimate computer (wireless) can see the Windows 7 Professional computer (wired), but the wired computer cannot see the wireless computer.

At this point, I don't know what I have to do to get the wireless computer to be able to print. I don't know how to get this to work with or without homegroups in Windows 7. Either way is fine with me, as long as I can print from the wireless computer. Can anybody help???

Thanks in advance.

Monster Rain

monsterrain

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I also wanted to mention that I have looked all over the internet for help on these issues, and haven't really found any group consensus on how to solve them (which makes this even more confusing).

TRENDING THREADS